• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a good mobo for mild-medium overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

My motherboard crapped herself today... luckily covered under newegg returns, so I am just returning it to get a better motherboard. I am looking for something that is cost effective, dont need super whamadyne motherboard for extreme overclocking... basically want a consistent 4.5ghz from FX8320.

This is what i have my eye on, and its on sale with a 20$ rebate card. Right up my alley I would think, but you guys know better then myself

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131851

edit: I was using an m5a97 LE R2.0 that went bad (quickly I might add)

My motherboard crapped herself today... luckily covered under newegg returns, so I am just returning it to get a better motherboard. I am looking for something that is cost effective, dont need super whamadyne motherboard for extreme overclocking... basically want a consistent 4.5ghz from FX8320.

This is what i have my eye on, and its on sale with a 20$ rebate card. Right up my alley I would think, but you guys know better then myself

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131851

edit: I was using an m5a97 LE R2.0 that went bad (quickly I might add)
Hi, I have the M5A99X-EVO R2 & I don't believe there is much differences in the two. Mine is working very good with an 8350 clocked at 4.5Ghz. That would be a fairly large OC (4.5)stable with the 8320 being the stock freq. is 3.5Ghz. You would need some good cooling if you were to get it to 4.5Ghz with this board.

I have the M5A99FX Pro it's a decent board. That will be probably the upper limit of your OC , you'll still want "good" cooling for the CPU and probably some additional fans for the VRM and socket. It now holds my 6350 which is a bit more suited to that board. But it will suffice.

Hmm, I asked before, and the sabertooth came up, but newegg is out of stock. Is there anything in the 150$ ish neighborhood on newegg? I would look myself, I just have no idea what Im looking for, and apparently positive reviews mean nothing for hardware compatibility haha.

Take cooling out of the equation, I can handle that end fine. Id rather hit a thermal limit than hit a hardware limit.

Sorry for being a pain :-/

Ooh

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157479

Thoguhts?

On paper it should be able to handle an 8320 and overclock it. We haven't seen any that I can recall come through here to be able to give you a definite answer. The bigger brother to it Asrock Extreme 9 we have seen and is a pretty stout motherboard.

On paper it should be able to handle an 8320 and overclock it. We haven't seen any that I can recall come through here to be able to give you a definite answer. The bigger brother to it Asrock Extreme 9 we have seen and is a pretty stout motherboard.

Looks solid and the price is pretty right. Give it a go? :shrug:

Looks solid and the price is pretty right. Give it a go? :shrug:
Tough for me to say what you should do with your money. That said I've thought about buying one myself just to see how far it would Oc the 8350 I have.

Ah screw it, I can't see it not working well. Seems pretty solid from reviews I've seen online.

Pull the trigger bob. That boards gotta be way better than that LE board you had.

Game on :D

Ill report back my findings. The fatality boards seem really well regarded in the intel world, can't imagine they would just arbitrarily suck for amd's lol.

Ill report back my findings. The fatality boards seem really well regarded in the intel world, can't imagine they would just arbitrarily suck for amd's lol.
Two completely different animals but it should be a pretty good choice.

Agreed. Ask "johan45", as he thinks one has fur and the other plain skin. Hehehe.
RGone...ster.

Maybe it was just the board I had but I doubt it. I had the z87 Fatality Killer for my 4770k, traded it in for the ASUS MAximusVI Hero and it made the Asrock look like a polished turd to be honest!!:shrug:

Maybe it was just the board I had but I doubt it. I had the z87 Fatality Killer for my 4770k, traded it in for the ASUS MAximusVI Hero and it made the Asrock look like a polished turd to be honest!!:shrug:

$$$$$ :cry: :chair:

Look, if I had 300$ to spend on a mother board, I'd be somewhere else right now haha. I really need it to be around the 150$ mark tops honestly. If you think it wouldnt work, I'd like to know now.

Is this the board you ordered? >> ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard? IF so you are probably okay.

Note >> Back in stock for $175.00 at NewEgg. >> ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131877

"bob4933" you and any of us seeking an AM3+ mobo that is tough enough for a BIG overclock of an 8 or even 6 core FX processor are in a BAD place really.
1. Is AMD through with advancing AM3+ cpus and only going to have the current FX processors in the market for the year of 2014. What has that done to mobo makers? I ask that because the Sabetooth 990FX and the CHV-z are in and out of stock almost world wide.

2. When you make a limit of $150.00 for a very stout AM3+ mobo from the first of the FX release...you would have hindered yourself in getting a SUPER mobo. From the first release of AM3+ FX processor the really good boards except maybe one seemed all over the $150.00 price mark. So your wanting a $150.00 mobo for clocking an FX-8320 was not really doable for nearly 2 years and we are looking at crazy board availablity right now so none have any idea what is going to happen over the next 3-4 months.

3. I finally went back to Asrock site and looked hard at the little can see of the boards themselves. What with heat sinks on them and the like. I also g00gled review of ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard and their reallly are no reviews yet since the board is just now coming out and in a way I do NOT expect much reviewing. IF AM3+ is dead then why review a mobo for the AM3+?

4. What I think Asrock has done is upgrade the NIC and sound chip on the 990FX killer board and has the VRM circuit of the Asrock 990FX EXT4. They have cut out the extra Sata controller and removed the PCI slots and made a board aimed at the gamer and n0t the pure overclocker. IF they left the bios alone and similar to either the EXT4 or the earlier Fatal1ty 990FX PRO boards, then you should be fine in the 4.5 range plus or minus a few 100Mhz depending on your cooling. And have a VRM that will hold up to the rigors of an FX-8320 cpu.

Now that is about as close as anyone other than an insider board engineer from Asus or Asrock can do. They probably know what the other is doing and why, but all we have are real-life examples to go by and none yet for the Killer 990FX Asrock mobo.
RGone...

PS: Or make arrangements to Decline the 990Killer and instead get the Sabertooth while it remains in stock at the EGG.

I appreciate the advice and information!

I can handle not getting the absolute best performance. 4.3 ghz is plenty for my usages. I benchmarked everything I had, and Im bottlenecking somewhere (probably my ram), so the difference between 4.3 and 4.5 was almost nothing, but 4.0 to 4.3 was pretty damn substantial (i.e. going from sub 10000 to over 11900 on geekbench 3 for instance, but 4.5 gave me 12500). Im ok with 12000 as my score. I guess thats where I want to be. Im not looking to "test the limits" but I do want some overclocking capabilities!

Im gonna go for the fatal1ty simply because it SHOULD do what I want it to do as everyone says. Ordering tonight after I look around a little more.

Last edited:
When you get the mobo and get it where you can get in the bios, then take some good pics or as he did F12 save to Usb stick and downsize an upload to this thread and will make it on h*ll of a lot easier to help you get it setup.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7610931&postcount=124
Some of the bios menus will have to be "scrolled" to get all the settings since only what you see is what F12 saves to Usb stick. And the files it saves are way too big to upload. They have be downsized to allow upload to the forum.

When we can see the bios and have the HWMonitor running for 20mins under load and then captured and the three CPUz captures of CPU, Memory and the SPD tab...much easier to tweak a board when the keyboard is at your end.

Luck man.
RGone...ster.

When you get the mobo and get it where you can get in the bios, then take some good pics or as he did F12 save to Usb stick and downsize an upload to this thread and will make it on h*ll of a lot easier to help you get it setup.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7610931&postcount=124
Some of the bios menus will have to be "scrolled" to get all the settings since only what you see is what F12 saves to Usb stick. And the files it saves are way too big to upload. They have be downsized to allow upload to the forum.

When we can see the bios and have the HWMonitor running for 20mins under load and then captured and the three CPUz captures of CPU, Memory and the SPD tab...much easier to tweak a board when the keyboard is at your end.

Luck man.
RGone...ster.

Right on, when I get it, Im gonna go slow and by the numbers. Ill be sure to get you guys as much info as possible.

Ordered, plus got some newer RAM to go with it. I'll do a pretty in depth review when I get it.

Wish you had asked about the ram thing before buying. Man we have seen a rash of Kingston giving issues with AMD for the last 6 or 7 months. Of course not all but enough that it became somewhat apparent.

Plenty of us are recommending mostly G Skill DDR3-1866 since the memory controller in the FX cpus is able to handle DDR3-1866 rather handily and gives some boost. I always ran my DDR3-1600, G Skll Ares 2x4 = 8gig kit overclocked to nearly DDR3-1800 since it would do it and it gave me a noticealble performance boost. Then I got some Ares G Skill DDR3-1866 and run it at <DDR3-2000 since it just seems to love it up there.

Oh well, it is always live and learn in this hobby and by the time we learn one thing...they have moved on to even newer tech.
RGone...

Back