• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 6600K / i7 6700K OC results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm not really checking max bclk just because it's not affecting performance but may affect stability. Many boards can make 200MHz+ while some have option to push it to 500MHz+.

I have some results, from what I have seen I think I may have gotten lucky. I would just like to point out though that my water cooling runs below ambient temps . That's 1.41v in bios, 1.42v in CPUz and 1.46v under load. Batch# L533B095 if anyone is interested

image_id_1537257.jpeg

Last edited:
Ah, sorry! I missed your question - multiplier. I haven't messed with bclk either. If I had a locked CPU I could see using that to OC it, but no need here (and no point that I am aware of).

Ah, sorry! I missed your question - multiplier. I haven't messed with bclk either. If I had a locked CPU I could see using that to OC it, but no need here (and no point that I am aware of).

The only point I would see is achieving ram speeds that aren't available in your list. Could be handy as well if looking for max clocks in windows by just bumping the BCLK one at a time.

I don't think there's a relationship between bclock and ram anymore either - they're all de-coupled. I think that's the main reason you can adjust the bclock now... but I'm not totally clear on what it all means? Does it affect PCI? PCIe? I think not for anything but the CPU anymore...?

pcie is locked at 100MHz but raising bclk will also cause memory clock to raise

Out of curiosity cause my 6700k is on the way, all the benching and stressing on this model specifically is done with HT on or off to find max speed/voltage ?

Depends. Stress testing would be with all cores of course... while for benching it depends on the benchmark as to what you need. For example, wprime is a multi threaded benchmark that uses all cores so you would run all cores and tbreads. Super pi is a single threaded benchmark and you only need two cores. Disabling HT and cores is what is done here to reach the highest clock speeds. But in no way would disabling HT and gaining a couple hundred mhz make up for the lost tbreads in multi threaded benchmarks.

It depends on the bench and how hard you really want to push it.

I wrote an article for the front page called benchmark buffet... it goes over all the boint bearing benchmarks we use at hwbot as well as tools amd utilites... check it out for details and high level info. If you get I to jt, perhaps thinkt about joining the benching team... ;)

With HT enabled you will see slightly higher temps ( like 3-4 degrees more ) and it's using additional CPU resources so it's good to test stability with HT on.

Out of curiosity cause my 6700k is on the way, all the benching and stressing on this model specifically is done with HT on or off to find max speed/voltage ?

perhaps thinkt about joining the benching team... ;)

This is where you really learn to wring every last point out of your system. There's a link in my sig. Come over and try the monthly marathon. We're just finishing the C{U portion this month and starting with 3D in January

Dear all,

I am trying to OC my newly built i7 6700K gaming rig.

Specs:

i7 6700K currently @ 4.6ghz (stable)
MSI Z170A Gaming M5
Corsair Dominator 2 x 8GB DDR4 3000Mhz @ 3000 XMP on
H110i GTX Water Cooling by Corsair
MSI Geforce 970GTX 4GB
1.5TB WD Green Caviar 7200RPM
480GB Crucial SSD
64GB Samsung SSD
PSU Corsair CX750W

The problem is:

I know the voltages have to be taken serious when overclocking, but somehow I cannot achieve a stable OC like others on low voltages but quite high frequencies.

So I am running 4.6Ghz on this Skylake beast:

V-core; 1.460 (very high!)
SA; 1.300
IO; 1.280

My question is. How do I achieve 4.6ghz or even more, but not having such an insane V-core amount as this?

Of course I tested it for 10 runs, maximum 16Gb RAM with Intel Burn Test Utility.

Temps were;

68 - core 0
71 - core 1
75 - core 2
78 - core 3

So these temps are within the safe margin. But it does also eliminate the possibility to OC to 4.8ghz?? I know 5.00 ghz is a golden nugget I could better forget. But still, 4800mhz should be achieveable don't you think?

I am asking here for some overclockers' advice. Pardon my English in several of these sentences, I am not a native speaker.

Kind regards,

Peter

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the max safe 24/7 voltage is for that chip but I do know you're running kind of high I would try to find an OC in the 1.3-1.35v range if this iis going to be a daily driver. The CPU has lots of performance even at stock. Seems that your CPU is voltage limited not heat. The choice is yours in the end what you do with your parts.

Yep.. keep that thing under 1.42-1.4v...

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. But if 1.40-1.42 is not an option? I have no choice than to up it, is that correct?
Besides, should I only fiddle with the V-core or should I fiddle with I/O and SA as well?

There actually 3 CPU voltages, should I keep the latter at an Auto option inside the BIOS?
I would love to have 4.6ghz and less than 1.4V-core volt.
But the BSOD's during earlier tests made me clear that one is not going to take off the ground.

Moreover, 4.5ghz fixed the thing already requires 1.400V V-core voltage. How strange that 0.1 ghz extra needs 0.060 Volt. extra isn't it?

EDIT: I tested some more. I found out that 4.6 ghz is a massive wall I am bumping up against. 4.7 ghz does boot, but it is not possible to maintain this during the test. I get BSOD, even with
1.500 V-core. So this processor is limited just as any other previous architecture with a good cooling alternative. The conclusion is that it is not better overclockable.
My previous Sandy Bridge I7 2600K went stable for 4.5 ghz with 1.38V!!! Now that is a nice one. Why do I need with i7 6700K a voltage of 1.46?? It is not logically explainable. Of course not to mention a better water cooler I bought, the H110i GTX instead of the previous H100i.

Of course I did it only once to test the 6700K. I backed down to 4.6 ghz again. I am really curious for a MSI Z170A Gaming M5 with i7 6700K OC guide though.
Perhaps I should fiddle with the HTT, could be possible that at 1.46 I could get 4.8 ghz instead...

Future will tell.

Peter

Last edited:
Every chip is unique - has slight variations that make it more or less overclockable than any other chip from the same series. Sometimes you get lucky, and get a chip that is able to OC for low voltage, othertimes you get one that needs more V, and sometimes you get unlucky and get one that doesn't respond well to OCing hardly at all.

My 6700K OCs to 4.6GHz @ 1.36v without issues - but bringing it to 4.7 or above brings the voltage up too much for my tastes - so 4.6 is my sweet-spot with this processor. Another might do better or worse for the 6700K series. Just my luck this time around.

Every chip is unique - has slight variations that make it more or less overclockable than any other chip from the same series. Sometimes you get lucky, and get a chip that is able to OC for low voltage, othertimes you get one that needs more V, and sometimes you get unlucky and get one that doesn't respond well to OCing hardly at all.

My 6700K OCs to 4.6GHz @ 1.36v without issues - but bringing it to 4.7 or above brings the voltage up too much for my tastes - so 4.6 is my sweet-spot with this processor. Another might do better or worse for the 6700K series. Just my luck this time around.

Hi,

I figured that out as well. My previous 2600K also hit a wall of 4.5 ghz. I guess 80% of the chips have this as a 'normal' achieveable OC freq. 20% is made up of 'golden' or lucky CPU's that can make it to 5,00ghz without getting too hot.

I can accept this, 4.5-4.6 ghz is still very, very good.

The previous generation has nothing to do with the next. :)

If your 2600K was 4.5Ghz limit, that was the worse I have ever seen. :(

I see it like every new gen is overclocking worse but performs better at the same clock so in general all are similar if you count results after OC in daily use. Applications which are using AVX can be faster on new chips and then difference will raise.
- performance: 2600K@5GHz ~ [email protected] ~ [email protected] ~ [email protected]
- average voltage of 1.35-1.40V: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], 6700K 4.5-4.7GHz

Maybe not exactly but something close.
There are of course exceptions like 4790K which are overclocking better but were released much later than 4770K. Users are also sharing more results on good CPUs than bad so it's hard to say what is real average clock but I also see how many are complaining on really bad chips ( and I tested many too ). There are many enthusiasts who are replacing CPUs till they find something good and later they share results.

Anyway most results on Skylake on OCF are about 1.4V 4.7-4.8GHz. If your motherboard has problems with stable voltage then you may need to raise vcore but under load it will drop. I have that on MSI board while on ASUS it's perfectly stable and I can keep lower voltage.

New user here. I'm currently sitting at 4.5ghz at 1.35vcore on a i5-6600k.
Water cooled, hasn't hit above 43c yet. Board is a msi z170a krait. 8gb 2400mhz corsair vengeance .
Tonight I'm gonna see what stable clock I can get at 1.35v seeing as that seams pretty safe. 4.5ghz was just a cap shoot based off someone else but it was flawless in test and everything. Excited to see what I can hit with this cool running chip

Back