• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wife's build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok awesome. I figuredon't it wouldn't weigh that much but I didn't know how sturdy the threads normally are on rads.

I think I'm decided on the xres over the xtop as I fell it'll look a little cleaner.

Going back to the block discussion. I've seen ek blocks ranging from as little as ~$50 up to well over $100. Is this all just looks or is there actually a difference? I'm trying not to rush into this and get the best bang for the buck.

So I'm hoping someone can give me some insight while I'm waiting to get money for parts.
I am trying to cut costs on the loop where I saw it being ok but I decided the fittings would be ok buying the generic ones. Which I realized would be stupid because that's where pretty much any leaks would come from. I already ordered my 2 extensions and the 2 45° adapters I was going to use but I'm going to cut my losses and not use them. I'm looking into the alphacool straight compressions, 45°rotary compressions, and 90° rotary compressions. And with cutting out the adapters it's actually cheaper then the generic Chinese stuff. But my big question is, is alphacool a decent brand or am I still "cheaping out?" Along with that I'll still need a couple extentions. I was looking at phobya brand. Any one use their products before?

I've seen ek blocks ranging from as little as ~$50 up to well over $100. Is this all just looks or is there actually a difference? I'm trying not to rush into this and get the best bang for the buck.

Swiftech XL and the XSPC Raystorm are some of the best and affordable CPU blocks out in the market. I also believe EK has made a similar priced block but can't remember it atm.

But my big question is, is alphacool a decent brand or am I still "cheaping out?" Along with that I'll still need a couple extentions. I was looking at phobya brand. Any one use their products before?

Those companies, Alphacool and Phobya are fairly respected in the H20 community. They should work just fine with either or.

Thank you for the responses jack! It puts my mind at ease hearing people well known on the forum saying the products I'm looking at are decent.
As far as the block I think I'm decided on the raystorm/raystorm pro because of the inlet being on the right side of the block. That will significantly help in clean lines for the tubing without having to use another extension.
I hate going over everything in my head over and over again because I want to just rush and buy everything. I've changed the fitting choices 3+times now but each time heading in a better direction. So I guess that's a good thing haha

Once, you are going in the right direction. Really thinking about it and taking your time. As you spend more time I bet you have learned a ton also instead of rushing it.

You are doing fine!

Keep up the good work. It's all about the thought process to a success loop. Remember to take your time with this. It's not a race.

Thank you both. Yea considering I started out looking at generic barb fittings, Chinese pumps and aluminum rads I have made several steps in the right direction.

This computer will actually become mine and the Mrs is getting my amd build with the new gpu I pick out. I did make a project log if anyone wants to keep up on the slow progress of the build and I'll come back here for future questions to not clutter up either thread too much

Ok guys. The fans I ordered came in today. The rad comes in tomorrow. I don't think the rad is coming with screws as I purchased it lightly used. I did a little research and it lists it as m4 screws, does it matter if I do m4 .7 or .5?

Ok guys. The fans I ordered came in today. The rad comes in tomorrow. I don't think the rad is coming with screws as I purchased it lightly used. I did a little research and it lists it as m4 screws, does it matter if I do m4 .7 or .5?

For rad screws, I used M4 35mm on all my case+fan+rad. I than used M4 30mm on fan+rad. Regardless, just be careful when screwing down as you don't want to accidentally puncture the rad.

rad_thread.jpg

The tubes are metal through right? Like once I feel any resistance check to see if it snugged up?

Very thin walls and tubes so you can easily puncture through. Just be alert when screwing down. Buy a few 30s and 35s just in case so you have the right size at your disposal.

These screws can easily be found from most PC retail mod shops. Performance-PCS, Frozencpu and the likes.

I'm not sure about your location but for me I don't have a pc shop locally and frozen cpu /ppcs it's like 12 for 8 screws priority mail haha. I went to the local home Depot and picked up some m4 .7 35mm screws and I'm going to try them tonight when I get off work. Worst case scenario I run a washer to take up space or make the 20 minute drive back to home Depot for the 30mm variant. (And just so we are clear, I bought the 35's before seeing your post to get both 30 and 35 jack) haha

So my "generic" 45's and extensions came in and turns out they are barrow. I read up on them and they appear to be possibly bitspower's rejects? Anyone heard whether or not they are decent?

I read up on them and they appear to be possibly bitspower's rejects? Anyone heard whether or not they are decent?

No they are NOT Bitspower rejects. They are a totally different line to Bitspower - some just look similar to some of Bitspower's fittings but they are not identical.

They are pretty decent though - A lot of people down here in Aus have been using them as a cheaper alternative for some time now with no real issue.

For those in the US, Mod my Mods seem to be stocking them now as well.... https://modmymods.com/fittings.html

Well I think I'm just going to go with the alphacool fittings and resell/return the barrow fittings.

So I got the front rad mounted and realized the tubing is going right over the 24 pin spot on the mobo... so in fear of a dilemma there I ordered the frozencpu connectright 24 pin right angle adapter. Has anyone used these? Are the sturdy?

Back