• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wife's build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would probably recommend the Yate Loons on the higher FPI rad to help push that air.

So I think I'll pick up another yate loon medium speed for the 360 rad. Should I get low speeds for the 240? I know the nzxt fans are their case fans and are pretty noisy above half speed. Are the yate loons less noisy?

Did a little research on that fan and thermalbench listed it as "average at best" so I don't know if it'd be worth paying more for that over the yates

I have all 3 types of Yate Loons, for the money they are tough to beat. The mediums and low speed fans are hardly audible at normal speeds, at 100% the low speeds are still pretty quiet and the mediums can be heard but aren't that loud. The high speeds at 50% can be heard but I don't find them terrible, at 100% they are a bit loud and this is where you really hear the difference between the higher end fans. I run BitFenix Spectre Pwm Led fans on my main rig and also have GT 1800's on another, both of these fans at 100% can be heard but the sound quality is much more pleasant then the Yate Loons. Even with 9 of the Bitfenix in the front of my case approximately 2 ' from my ear, with them set manually at 50% I cannot hear them. The only thing I can hear in my case is the slight hum of my Dual D5 pumps manually set at 50% power. My point is the Yates are good fans for the money and if you stick with the medium fans and control the speed on them you shouldn't have any concern with them. If you plan on running them at 100% then you may want to look into something a bit higher in quality.

Did a little research on that fan and thermalbench listed it as "average at best" so I don't know if it'd be worth paying more for that over the yates

Possibly, However they are basically AP15 knock offs
with PMW control what's not to like at under 6 bucks a fan

Note Jack is using them in his sig rig, that in itself speaks to there validity.
Nothing wrong with the Yates products, but think we are talking apples and oranges here

Witchy I fully agree and I may give them a try. Do they come sleeved black or the hideous colored wiring? And mandrake, I never planned on going above the medium speeds due to the not so pleasant noise haha. Thank you guys for the help. It is greatly appreciated

For the record, the Helix120s from Swiftech ARE NOT AP-15s. The real AP-15s are rebranded and come as PWM. Spoke about this recently to the boss at Modmymods. Might be replacing all my rad fans with Darkside (AP-15) PWM versions. They also said they'll be coming out with the non-PWM version that everyone's accustomed to. The only downfall is they don't come sleeved. An extra charge is added if you want them sleeved.

Forgot to mention I also have some Swifttech Helix fans myself. Only difference I noticed between them and my Gt ap 15's is they need a bit more voltage then the Ap 15's on initial spin up. As far as sound quality they are about the same. Again this is running them on a manual fan controller.

Well then I may have to look into to the swiftech fans. Should I run those on the 240 or the 360 though?

Well then I may have to look into to the swiftech fans. Should I run those on the 240 or the 360 though?
The 360 rad is 16 fpi correct? You'll want something with a little more static pressure on that so the Helix would be a good choice.

Forgot to mention I also have some Swifttech Helix fans myself. Only difference I noticed between them and my Gt ap 15's is they need a bit more voltage then the Ap 15's on initial spin up. As far as sound quality they are about the same. Again this is running them on a manual fan controller.

That's very interesting. From you experience, its safe to say the Helix120s and the AP-15s are very close in audibles at different speeds? If this is the case, I'll just stick with them and save $200+.

That's very interesting. From you experience, its safe to say the Helix120s and the AP-15s are very close in audibles at different speeds? If this is the case, I'll just stick with them and save $200+.
GTXJB just to let you know where I'm coming from, I'm not uber anal about the noise from my Pc. I have not done any real world testing but I can say this. I usually run my fan controller at 50% power at that speed I cannot hear my fans at all. The only thing I hear is the dual laing pumps and that's if I'm really trying to listen for them. At 100% on the fans yes I can hear them but I don't feel there is any discernible difference in the sound quality of the GT Ap-15 fans I have over the Helix at least not to spend the money it would take to replace the Helix with the Ap 15. Truth be told I don't find much difference between the Bitfenix fans I have and the Gt Ap 15's either. Build quality on the Ap 15's is noticeably better but I haven't had any issues with any of the Bitfenix, Helix or Gt Ap 15's I have. This is also with them running 10 hours a day at 50% usually, for the better part of 2 years.

Not to interrupt all the hot air blowing around(every pun intended) but is the xspc ex360 better than the black ice one I was looking at previously? Because with shipping the black ice is 63 and I can get the xspc for 60 shipped through an eBay seller.

I like black ice overall. Up to you. Just make sure which is thicker and has the best balance in FPI. The higher the FPI, the higher the static pressure from the fans will need to be.

Well I ordered the black ice rad! And I did a little more research and although the nzxt fans aren't the best they are decent and seeing as I already had 2, opted to get one more for now.
Ended up ordering the phanteks enthoo pro in black. It came in today and is amazing! Great quality build. Although the outside panels are plastic the internals are all metal and all the edges are curled so no sharp edges. Honestly very pleased with it for the price!

So now that I have all this room for activities I was thinking about doing a tube res laying down on the top of the psu shroud. Thinking about the bitspower water tank z multi 250. The 360 rad will run down to the left end of the res and the right end will go to the pump mounted on the bottom of the case. Does that sound possible? And also, the tube on the inside of the res, should I have the inlet run through that and then have the outlet on a lower port so there's no chance of starving the pump?

Back