• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wife's build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I believe it was jayz two cents or Linus that boasted the nexXxos block. Either of them I'd take info from as being reliable.

In water cooling circles those guys are not considered as serious testers of water cooling hardware - they are not experts in testing blocks radiators and the like and they certainly do not carry out extensive testing with the appropriate test gear to be even considered in the same league as some other gurus.

While those two are popular reviewers amongst the average crowd they are not all that serious when it comes to testing water cooling components with repeatable proven scientific based test setups - mainly because they are not thorough with their setup & testing methodologies.

I don't think those guys even own a rotameter or even a manometer - certainly never seen them even refer to them when they test water cooling gear... so their results are never really taken seriously by those in the know.

A few more dedicated water cooling links for you to have a read - The last two are now old and not updated by those guys anymore but the info is certainly is still relevant:

http://www.xtremerigs.net/
https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/
http://skinneelabs.com/

Last edited:
In water cooling circles those guys are not considered as serious testers of water cooling hardware - they are not experts in testing blocks radiators and the like and they certainly do not carry out extensive testing with the appropriate test gear to be even considered in the same league as some other gurus.

While those two are popular reviewers amongst the average crowd they are not all that serious when it comes to testing water cooling components with repeatable proven scientific based test setups - mainly because they are not thorough with their setup & testing methodologies.

I don't think those guys even own a rotameter or even a manometer - certainly never seen them even refer to them when they test water cooling gear... so their results are never really taken seriously by those in the know.

A few more dedicated water cooling links for you to have a read - The last two are now old and not updated by those guys anymore but the info is certainly is still relevant:

http://www.xtremerigs.net/
https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/
http://skinneelabs.com/

+1 :attn:

I was more going off the fact Jay has been watercooling for over 10 years.. you probably learn quite a bit by doing it for that long. Linus has built a crap ton of water cooled rigs and as well knows more than I. Are they the best in the field, probably not. Do they know more than I? I can guarantee it. Lochekey I was looking Into the mx block by the inlet and outlet are on the wrong sides for my runs.

Lochekey I was looking Into the mx block by the inlet and outlet are on the wrong sides for my runs.

You can rotate the installation of that block by 90 degree increments which should put the ports where you need them.

That is a possibility. But is that block better or worse than the before mentioned options I was looking at

From the reviews I've seen, the Raystorm Pro is one of the best performing blocks out right now. ThermalBench has the only thorough review I've seen though.

Not sure who this guy is. Looks fairly new. Haven't seen a image of his measuring equipment other than stating he's using a Aquaero 6 XT. For all I know, this guy is measuring his data via AQ 6 XT, AQ Flow meter and AQ Pressure reader.

Will say this again, if you're looking for a CPU block from reputed companies, go with the one that fits your budget and or looks best. Just don't go buying chinese knock off blocks and you'll be ok.

Dammit jack... I was set on the raystorm pro after reading his reviews and now you are like "don't trust that" :( you guys kill me haha

Dammit jack... I was set on the raystorm pro after reading his reviews and now you are like "don't trust that" :( you guys kill me haha

He's saying to take the review with a grain of salt.
Literally in the next sentence he said if the block fits your budget and you think it looks good to get it.

You also have to look at the scale on those graphs, all samples were within 2C of each other. Bottom line is like they've been saying, as long as you pick a block from a reputable company, your cooling will be pretty much the same.

Thank you guys for the input. I think it'll either be the raystorm pro (no leds), nexXxos, or possibly the ek supremacy mx in goofy orientation

So I know this build is going to take me a while to put together which sucks because it's given me time to second guess decisions and basically spend more money haha. Basically the case I was going to use I had to tear apart to fit what I wanted and afterwards realized it left me with no cable management options on the right side. So I've decided to switch cases. I'm looking into the nzxt h440 for the ability to run a 360 front and 240 up top but I worry about airflow. I love the minimalistic design and currently have the s340 for my amd build. Only other concern is I'd want to use my current 60mm rad up top.

Not sure who this guy is. Looks fairly new.

He goes by the name of 'gegeg' on OCN and is also known as VSG on a number of other forums.

he has been around for a while and has established himself as an experienced unbiased reviewer in the water cooling community.

So my 240 rad was used in good condition. It had sat dry for over a year and has (not sure of the actual word) oxidation and blue crap coming out of it like you'd see on old brass sink handles. Using hot water I rinsed it for about half an hour straight. I would fill it about half full, plug the holes and shake it for roughly 30 seconds and dump it. Then I'd repeat and I continued to get little bits of blue gunk. Is there anything I can put in to clear it up/dissolve it?

Yep. Try dish soap 2 tbs and 10% vinegar in relation to the water. So 1/10 a liter. Really hot water, not boiling, but it was just a few min ago. Fill and let sit full for 20 min or so. Drain, refill with more soap 20 min, hotttt water. Drain and then do the rad dance till done it looks good. That's all I got buddy.

Add a filter, change filter every day till you are happy.

Ok I'll have to get some vinegar, hopefully tonight and do that! Is this common for used/stored rads?

Was this rad bought used or are you the original owner but had stuffed it away for some time till now? Trying to figure out if this was someone's blue fluid gunked and dried up in the rad or what not.

Jack, I bought it used. The seller stated he only ever used distilled water and pt nuke. The stuff coming out literally looks exactly like the blue stuff you'd see on tarnished brash facet handles. Either way, would the vinegar dawn trick work?

I have been on a diet and your avatar is making hungry for pizza :drool:

The vinegar should aid in breaking down the oxidation inside the radiator :)

Haha I couldn't find anything that popped, and who doesn't like warrior pizza!?

So a question about fans. I originally bought 2 nzxt performance fans for the black ice sr1 60mm rad and 2 yate loon medium speed fans for the other 240 slim rad before deciding on a bigger case. Now that I'm going with a 360 rad up top I'm looking into something like the black ice nemesis L series stealth rad. The 360 rad is 16fpi while the 240 is only 9fpi.
So my question is, should I run the the 2 yate loon medium speed fans on the 240 or the nzxt? Or should I get 2 low speed fans since it's such low fpi to cut down on noise?
And for the 360 at 16fpi would the medium speed fans work well and just get one more?

I read somewhere the nzxt fans are decent for the money but I worry about the noise level.

Back