• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP2100 goes wayy hot! helpie please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the first question would be do you use thermal paste between the CPU core and the heatsink? if you use a thermal pad or nothing at all it will cause such high temps. also what is the motherboard and the method you're getting the readings? Is this the on-die temps or the temps picked up by the mobo's thermistor. Also are you able to touch your heatsink without getting burned? if so its either your motherboard reporting wrong temps or the heatsink isn't seated properly, has bad contact w/ the core, or doesn't have thermal paste between the 2 surfaces

The readings are from the mobo, Asus A7V 266-E

I'm using Arctic alumina for paste, and it seems to be spread nice and I can't imagine contact getting any better.

I'm not using any shim's or other extra...

Cabinet is a chieftec dragon DX-01WD. See it here

Even though I use 4 25 cfm 80 mm fans, temperatures don't fall below 60...

The cooling profile is pretty hot... can't put my finger on it for long..

Maybe I should 'pipe' the air directly out the side of the cabinet??? and 'pipe' fresh air directly to the fans on the profile... as the cabinet I use is pretty big, the 80 mm fans might not create enough airflow?? I'm trying to avoid too much noise...

More help welcome...

flixotide said:
The readings are from the mobo, Asus A7V 266-E

I'm using Arctic alumina for paste, and it seems to be spread nice and I can't imagine contact getting any better.

I'm not using any shim's or other extra...

Cabinet is a chieftec dragon DX-01WD. See it here

Even though I use 4 25 cfm 80 mm fans, temperatures don't fall below 60...

Maybe I should 'pipe' the air directly out the side of the cabinet??? and 'pipe' fresh air directly to the fans on the profile... as the cabinet I use is pretty big, the 80 mm fans might not create enough airflow?? I'm trying to avoid too much noise...

More help welcome...

You should be using Arctic Silver on the core, not Arctic Alumina. Thermal paste(good heat transfer) can make a huge difference in temps. See if keeping the sidepanel off helps temps at all, if it does significantly then you will need better airflow. Also make sure the heatsink isn't mounted backwards.

Huh? according to this grease has little difference at all...

Keeping the side panel off helps... not a lot (+/- 5-7 c's), but it helps.

Thanks for the tips though

If your temps go down with the side off, that means you don't have good enough airflow in your case. Think about upgrading your case fans, and get some AS3 instead of Alumina.

yeah get some artic silver 3, probably some more powerful case fans too. Also remember that the 2100+ is a very hot running cpu.

Kent

flixotide said:
Huh? according to this grease has little difference at all...

Keeping the side panel off helps... not a lot (+/- 5-7 c's), but it helps.

Thanks for the tips though

5-7C is actually a big difference. Trust me, you can gain as much as 10C by using thermal compund(maybe even more). Arctic Alumina is not made for heat transfer between the core of a cpu and heatsink. You will want Arctic Silver 3.

Hmmm.... all righty then.. I'll give the AS3 a shot. I have my mind set for a little case modding too, simply sucking the air straight off the top of the cooler profile, so it doesn't vent in cicles...

Sheeshh... those AMD's sure are a lot of work... :cool:

yeah with my setup with no overclock i get 41C idle with AS3. With it overclocked at 1.9 volts (1.87 is the reading) I get 46C idle.

Edit: Since it wont let me update my profile I have it oced to 1.91 with the vantec aeroflow HSF.

RnPgrosz said:

Arctic Alumina is not made for heat transfer between the core of a cpu and heatsink.

Since when?

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_compounds.htm

From their website:

The first ceramic-based, polysynthetic thermal compound for use between
modern high-power CPUs and high performance heatsinks or water-cooling solutions

I use it myself and find very little difference between this and AS3.

-PC

i agree. people seem to waaayyy over-estimate the effect of thermal grease.
if properly applied, then there isnt much difference at all in thermal greases. any difference in temps is 99% becuase of the installation of the grease, not the grease itself.

well it seems like your heatsink is not getting total contact with your cpu. it may just be a crapphy heatsink tho. try another heatsink. thermalright makes great products and since you allready have a 60mm fan you wont need to buy another one. get a SK6+ or a SK6 if you can still find one.

flixotide said:

If the heat sink is pretty hot then I doubt there is a high likely hood of a problem with the contact. I would guess it is just the ambient temp inside the case, as some one already said.

It could just be..

The HSF. Try some different grease first, by all means, but make no mistakes, the Silent Twin is a silent cooler (meaning it doesnt perform the best also)Im not trying to be a guy who just up and says to dump your cooler and buy another (because pimping for hardware is unethical) but perhaps other options should be considered. GL man.

Anaxagoras1986 said:

If the heat sink is pretty hot then I doubt there is a high likely hood of a problem with the contact. I would guess it is just the ambient temp inside the case, as some one already said.

actually thats not entirly true. i once put my h/s on back to front and it got hot as hell (along with the chip)

Why did it do that? I dont see a reason for the heatsink to get really hot because of that but I can see why the chip would.

Back