• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Woot!! i finaly finished my block (pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slater3333uk

So here it is 2 months later

it still needs a couple of things doing and i have gotta make some holdowns but il post temps and stuff when ive got my system up and running

Pic 1

Pic 2

go easy on me i know it aint the best design ever but it will work and thats what i was looking for in my first attempt.

comments and ideas welcome:)

Last edited:
Once your done tell us how it performs, even if it isn't the best it most likely works ok and it won't cost you much.

since my crappy gigabyte mobo dose not have the 4 mounting holes in the mobo i am going to have to make a clip with a nylon screw that fits to the socket lugs.

otherwize i could easly make a mounting plate so that i can mount it by the usal method.

BabyEater said:
Very nice job and well made by the look of it. I would drill dimpiles into the bottom of it to create a bit of turbulance .

Yeh i will be doing that eventually

i will swap the base plate for a copper one when i find copper at a good price and i will also get the top anodised.

nice...... hey that looks good. you should see my first block. yuck. i used a junky drill press, the bit kept slanting on me. I bet you can hardly wait to make another. If i had a crack addiction the only way to get off of it is to make some water blocks :).

I agree with natz

The only reason I see to put channels in the top is to direct flow, but when thats doable in the bottom, thats when it should be done...

did it take you that long to make it or did it just take that long to get from paper to metal?

also, the base could be quite a bit thinner, next block you make I would suggest do the channels in copper(if possible) and in the bottom, making the base around 1.5-3mm thick(asuming you use metric in UK because you guys arent as dumb as us american people who wont give up the crappy inch....)
Ill find a pic of a hold down I made for the 4 hole things.. worked great

I also have an idea similar to swiftechs idea to use for the socket, take a look at it, Im sure you can figure it out.

yes i see what you are saying the reason that i made it that way round is that i was going to use a copper plate for the bottom. but the plate got used for something else so i had to make do with a aluminum base for now. when i get some copper then im going to swap. i will also drill some dimples in the base and grit blast it to give me a bit more surface area.

It took me 2 months to get from ordering the aluminium to finishing it yesterday but it only relly took me about 4 days of work bering in mind that i spent most of that time working out how to work the mill properly. its the first time ive done something this complex on my own.

for my next block im am going to do somthing simlar to your gf4 block you posted a few weeks ago the base will be copper with 3mm or 1/8th channles and the base will be about 1/8 thick at the thinnist point. then it will have a aluminium top (anodised ofcource)

oh yeh we still mainly use imperial mesurements in the uk for engineering stuff

but the crappy european union has band us from selling stuff in pounds and ounces one man got like 6 months in prison for selling his product in imperial units

i envy u americans you do what you want and you can make your own laws we have to agree with france and all them idiots before we can do anything.

(no offence to the french):)

alrite
when you get experience, everything will go soo much faaster, you could actually do that entire block in a few hours. and on those massive mills it would probably take less time. For me to do a block like that on my mill would take less than an hr to mill the actual channels, then to drill and tap all the holes and size the material(prior to milling) would take andother hr or 2. youll get it figured out soon.

and about the 1/8inch base, You should shoot for 1/16inch. or maybe test both. It seems that thinner bases are better nowadays.

HaHa! lol!!

i bet i can make you more jealous than that

in total i have acsess to

2 Vertical mills
2 horizontal mills
4 lathes
3 surface grinders
2 cilindrical grinders
2 drill press
grit blasting booth
hundreds of hand tools
and more