• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gimmie some cookies!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhoenixMDM

Piano Man
Ever since about a week ago, I haven't been able to stay logged into any site for more than 30 seconds. I tried a ton of settings, and eventually decided to see if a new browser would do it.

I got Mozilla (now my favorite!:D ) and it worked for about a day. Then, I got the same cookie expiration problem. This time though, my cookies only last for about 5 seconds! It's really a problem, since I need to log into some sites for admin privs and downloads and stuff.

I'm posting this from my zaurus, which is the only comp I can get to which keeps me logged in right now.

What should I do??

Yup. the clock is fine. So is the date.

Oh yeah, I'm running XP pro too. Thought I already mentioned that:rolleyes: I need more sleep...

Newbie-level question: You did enable cookies in preferences, right? And you didn't check any of the boxes mentioning "for the current session only?" or "for the originating website only?"

Try punching the "ask before accepting" button, so that you can see that the cookies are being set. In phoenix (a version of mozilla), i have a cookie-browser.. After a cookie is set, jump into the cookie browser (in Prefs/Privacy/Cookies/Manage Cookies...) and see if you can read the cookie and if it's set right.

It was set on "originating website only" so i changed it to all, and I chose to have me approve every one.

Works with all websites now, except one. Bad part is that I need to work on the site, I'm the admin. It might be some setting on my site, since a couple other people have trouble logging in/staying logged in.

It's at www.firebirdtutors.com. Specifically the forums. It gives you cookies, but I think they expire too fast or something along those lines. I have no clue how to change them either.

Nice site. Make sure you have the "cookie domain" set up correctly, and the root path = /

What forums software are you using?

Invisionboard, version 1.1.1.

I changed the cookie domain to firebirdtutors.com with the forums, and it seems they work now.
Still having trouble staying logged into the admin on the front page though.

**edit**
Never mind... if I close the window and then go back to the forums, it wants me to log in again... So that didn't help at all..

Try changing the domain to: .firebirdtutors.com (dot firebirdtutors dot com). Make sure the cookie domain is at / (the root of the domain). Make sure it's setting a full cookie, and not just a session cookie. Check the expiration date and time with the cookie manager after it's set.

Also, since you have been playing with cookies -- there may be some bad ones in there screwing stuff up. Try deleting all your cookies and trying again.

[EDIT] and for the main board admin, check your cookie setup and domain in PHPNuke

Yes! The fourms work!
I must need caffine.... Where is the cookie setup in PHPNuke?? I can figure out that it's in the Administration Menu, but that's as far as I can get. Nothing about cookies in the Preferences section...

PhoenixMDM said:
Yes! The fourms work!
I must need caffine.... Where is the cookie setup in PHPNuke?? I can figure out that it's in the Administration Menu, but that's as far as I can get. Nothing about cookies in the Preferences section...
Yay! :D
IDK about PHPNuke, I've never used it.. I assume if it's setting cookies that there would be some sort of cookie setup in the config somewhere...

I would think so too. But there's nothing... I'll try my luck on PHPNuke's forums, they would probably know where that stuff is, or so we should hope:p

Thanks again!

Back