• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is cheaper memory stable on 875P if you dont use dual-channel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wunderbaum

Registered
I want to get a 875 or 865 mobo. To be able to buy the P4 2.4C since it have HT. Problem is I dont wanna spend to much money.

The shops tell me that you need expensive good brand memory for these mobo:s to work.

The question is if you dont use dual-channel, can you get it stable with less expensive memory?

I dont see that great boost in real performance with dual-channel that justifys the cost.

I'm using two different brands of cheap-er ram (winbond and kingston, both PC2700 CL2.5) and i have no stability problems running dual channel mode.

Lukozer said:
I'm using two different brands of cheap-er ram (winbond and kingston, both PC2700 CL2.5) and i have no stability problems running dual channel mode.

I have asked a similar question in the memory section. Are you running at 800Mhz fsb? I think his question is this;

Will the cheaper memory rated at 400DDR be able to run in dual mode syncrounous with a 2.4C(800fsb) chip?

I am thinking of getting 2 sticks of KingMax 400DDR as they are less than half the price of ram sold in pairs such as OCZ dual channel.

Ride

RideGuy said:

I have asked a similar question in the memory section. Are you running at 800Mhz fsb? I think his question is this;

Will the cheaper memory rated at 400DDR be able to run in dual mode syncrounous with a 2.4C(800fsb) chip?

I am thinking of getting 2 sticks of KingMax 400DDR as they are less than half the price of ram sold in pairs such as OCZ dual channel.

Ride

I'm not running 800fsb, no. I doubt i would be able to run an 800fsb P4 since i'm only using DDR333, but there is no doubt that KingMax DDR400 will be perfectly fine with an 800fsb P4

Lukozer said:

I'm not running 800fsb, no. I doubt i would be able to run an 800fsb P4 since i'm only using DDR333, but there is no doubt that KingMax DDR400 will be perfectly fine with an 800fsb P4

Thanks Lukozer. I took your advice and bought the KingMax. I've installed Windows and everything is going smooth so far.

Ride

Glad to hear it. As soon as i have some spare $$$'s i'll have to follow my own advice, my mismatched low quality DDR333 just ain't cutting it for overclocking.

What I have read from the Canterwood reviews these mobos are not sensitive to aggressive memory timings at all. There is lot of benchmarks there which indicates that. So you can do good scores whith cheap 400 memorys

Back