• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Now taking requests for install programming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wedo

Senior Kitty Power!
I have finished moving and my friendly neighborhood SBC tech should have a DSL connection pumped into my apartment by this weekend. After I finish setting up my rigs and farm I wanted to add more to the "Ultimate Install" sticky and make some changes to the One-Click.

So here's your chance to make requests that you would like to see in the next versions of the One-Click and any other install you might desire.

Nikhsub1 and others have made a few requests so I list those first:

1. Make a version of One-Click that installs into the WINDOWS directory and name the directory FAH.

2. Make a version WITHOUT the -forceasm flag for those of us with farms that do NOT want to run that flag for fear of the machine crashing

3. I will be fixing the #1 network install on the guide which is DGROMS excellent network install. I have to add the flags, change the directories, and most importantly, change the team number to 32.

4. Nitro Boie made a sweet One-Click for 98/ME machines that I will be adding to the guide as well.

5. I'll try to do a quick write up on EMIII and add that as well.

6. I'm going to change the One-Click to show "FAH" as the service with a description of "FAH DC Service" in the services.msc to make it more stealthy. I'm also going to see about changing the name to "FAH" in the add/remove programs or get rid of it all together, not sure which yet.

7. Flix asked for a network Un-install (weirdo) so I'll see what I can do about that as well.

My goal is to have a comprehensive list that would cover virtually all install possibilities ranging from network to single install that will add the appropriate gromac flags and only take a few seconds and be as stealthy as can be to prevent end users from messing with the client.

Any other version, addition, or change you need, ask away and I'll try to get to it this weekend or wait until the next time I have time to slap the install script around again.

"One floppy, one-click, one to 1000 borgs."

Wedo

Could you make it possible to have a config file built in to the .exe so that you could e-mail it to people and it would truly be one-click for them ?

OMG! where the *** is the 1 click that borgs the entire world?......you are not doing your job very good at all wedo! BOOOOOO!
j/k :D

This is great. Thanks Wedo and all who have put great effort into this! you all deserve an applause. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yea...nice work wedo!!! I would also like to see something that is truly one-click. No config file or anything. Just one program so my idiot computer illiterate friends don't take a year to figure it out. I spent an hour last night explaining how to install the one-click to somebody. Thats sad. Thanks Wedo! You Rock!

Matt

Wedo, I need the version that installs into windows directory without the -forceasm flag SOON!!! My 'test' machine is ordered for the company :D

Alright... I'm going to start smackin' people around.

The config file should be edited BEFORE you send it to your friends and family. To pass the One-Click on to others:

1. Download the file
2. Edit the client.cfg to your folding name
3. Re-zip the file
4. Email it
5. Have them unzip it to a directory (temp, to the desktop, whateva)
6. They click the "Setup.msi" and their done (after a reboot).

So for them, it is a one click....

HT, right, forgot that one. I'll add that to the list. I'll make an HT version with and without the -forceasm flags.

Wedo

Wedo said:
Alright... I'm going to start smackin' people around.

The config file should be edited BEFORE you send it to your friends and family. To pass the One-Click on to others:

1. Download the file
2. Edit the client.cfg to your folding name
3. Re-zip the file
4. Email it
5. Have them unzip it to a directory (temp, to the desktop, whateva)
6. They click the "Setup.msi" and their done (after a reboot).

So for them, it is a one click....

HT, right, forgot that one. I'll add that to the list. I'll make an HT version with and without the -forceasm flags.

Wedo

Wedo, lol, I know this is pretty sad, but I did edit the client.cfg file first and yes, I spent an hour explaining to somebody how to install it, lol. I meant one-click as in no unzip, if we can get rid of that step it would be quite helpful. Just clarifying what I meant. Thanks Wedo.

Matt

Wedo said:

Wedo
NO! All INTELS need the forceasm flag!!!! There is NO reason not to have it, don't waste your time!!!!

mdcomp said:

Wedo, lol, I know this is pretty sad, but I did edit the client.cfg file first and yes, I spent an hour explaining to somebody how to install it, lol. I meant one-click as in no unzip, if we can get rid of that step it would be quite helpful. Just clarifying what I meant. Thanks Wedo.

Matt

Same here , unzipping to a directory is WAY too complicated for some people. It is hard enough telling some people how to double-click an attachment. ;)

Nik, I was going to make an HT without the -forceasm for AMD duallies. I guess this would be a "dually" vs. an HT, but either way, it'll run two instances with the -local and -advmethods flags.

Hmmm... Ok, I'll try to figure out how to wrap the whole thing into a .exe and make it available on the web. That would be the easiest for our loving computer phobes AKA, our family.

"Go to wedo.com, click "Download and Install FAH for the computer "gifted", and hit "open file from it's current location."" :D

Wedo

Wedo said:
Hmmm... Ok, I'll try to figure out how to wrap the whole thing into a .exe and make it available on the web. That would be the easiest for our loving computer phobes AKA, our family.

"Go to wedo.com, click "Download and Install FAH for the computer "gifted", and hit "open file from it's current location."" :D

Wedo

Lol. Thanks. Can't you use winzip to make it to automatically unzip and open the install file...I have seen exe's like that. I think that would be a simple way to do it.

Matt

mdcomp said:

Lol. Thanks. Can't you use winzip to make it to automatically unzip and open the install file...I have seen exe's like that. I think that would be a simple way to do it.

Matt

Therein lies the problem though.... If I make a .exe file, then YOU can't edit the .cfg file before you send it to your family/friend. Maybe I can work something out where it's a .exe that asks for a username but everything else is automatic.

Wedo

Rav said:
Perhaps support for 2 instances on hyperthreaded machines?

-Rav

This would be great. I have some friends that have HT machines that only run one instance because there is no way I'd be able to walk them through all of the modifications to run 2 instances.

sorry, no advantages running 2 instances for the ht machines... its one cpu, and f@H uses it all... but windows thinks its two, so it only shows 50%

filip04 said:
sorry, no advantages running 2 instances for the ht machines... its one cpu, and f@H uses it all... but windows thinks its two, so it only shows 50%
Filip that is not right. I (and Plext) have done tests. An HT enabled CPU will fold as fast as it would without HT, this is true. However, with 2 instances of FAH and HT, you get a 15 - 20% increase in production. Been verified.

Well, if there were just a few certain machines that would have to have the Registry keys changed for the install, then you could just make a .reg file (I made one a while ago...I think I emailed the "ones" ((there was a non-sse gromacs, and a non-sse no gromacs)) to mdcomp....I have formated since then so he has em, but they wouldn't be hard to make) on the select few computers.

But then again, can't the "network" installs be ran on a range of IP adresses? If so then going to each individual computer and running the .reg file would be obsolete....

But ya...heh

All of the above sound good Wedo :) We SHALL have an arsenal...must talk to school..once I find out who to talk too :confused:...blasted district..

Fold and Frag on
Brian

Back