• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RMA this HDD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

warlock110

I have a maxtor diamond max HDD that I bought 2 years ago, all of a sudden while using DVD shrink I heard a loud "ehhhh" sound and it stoped. I felt very unconfortable so i checked by burning a DVD, well i notice that the buffer from the HDD was fluctuating like crazy, never happened to me like that before. So I just turned off the computer and run HDD Tach on that drive, and the seeking time is ok but the accessing time dropped a whole lot, almost all the way down. I'm thinking that this is gonna crap out on me. What do u guys think?

I've also went up to the maxtor website and check for warantee with very little hope, I don't know how but my drive still has waranty till 2006 :drool: :attn: . Very weird in deed since i bought it 2 years ago, news came out that maxtor only has 1 year waranty :). Anyhow do i need a receit to RMA or not? hehe new drive sounds nice, but getting all that data on my HDD over will be a pain since the acessing time is really slow now :(

I would contact Maxtor and see if they would allow an RMA, and if they do I'd go for it. You could probably get all your info off pretty easily with your DVD burner.

warlock110 said:
I have a maxtor diamond max HDD that I bought 2 years ago, all of a sudden while using DVD shrink I heard a loud "ehhhh" sound and it stoped. I felt very unconfortable so i checked by burning a DVD, well i notice that the buffer from the HDD was fluctuating like crazy, never happened to me like that before. So I just turned off the computer and run HDD Tach on that drive, and the seeking time is ok but the accessing time dropped a whole lot, almost all the way down. I'm thinking that this is gonna crap out on me. What do u guys think?

I've also went up to the maxtor website and check for warantee with very little hope, I don't know how but my drive still has waranty till 2006 :drool: :attn: . Very weird in deed since i bought it 2 years ago, news came out that maxtor only has 1 year waranty :). Anyhow do i need a receit to RMA or not? hehe new drive sounds nice, but getting all that data on my HDD over will be a pain since the acessing time is really slow now :(

The HDD problem you have may be caused by a overclocked PCI bus!!!
If your motherboard don't officially support 166 mhz FSB, the PCI bus probably is at 41 mhz!!!

PCI bus overclocking may be causing the HDD firmware to get damaged, thus may be causing false SMART alarms and likely stops the HDD from spinning or causes the BIOS to have an HDD error.

it's not the OC. my PCI and APG is at 33mhz and 66mhz repsectively, the divider kick in at 166FSB, that's why I chose it in the 1st place :)

You should test it with Maxtor's diagnostic sw before RMAing it. Then if you get an error code you can definetely rma it either to the manufacturer or retailer (preferably the latter sine you are less likely to get a refurb replacement).

If you don't get an error code then I would contact Maxtor and see how long your warranty period really is, and if it's 3 years then I would wait awhile to see if it really will fail, and perhaps rma it anyway before the warranty period is up if it's still chugging.

Back