• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another psu problem i thinkh

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MODdaBOX

Another psu problem i think

Ok iv been haveing a problem wich i think is with the psu. Its a 530w Forton and i think it should have enough power for my system (its in my sig). Anywho the other day i woke up turned on my comp just my comp not monitor or anything. When i got out of the shower and went in my room it was turned off but the power led was on? When i pressed the power button nothing happend so i turned off the psu for like 1 min and tuened it back on and tryed agian everything yurns on for like 1 or 2 sec lights fans pump ect. then shuts off and wont do it again untill i restart the psu. So while im totally confused i decided to replace the fan on my ti4200 besause it was making a clicking noise for a long time. Now heres what really got me when i put it back in (about 1 day later) it started up fine!?!? When i finally got back on my windows trial was up (i had a weird windows error that wouldent let me activate it) so after i get another hdd to back up some files on (i got in in safe mode) and put it in i started tranfering my files about half way through my comp stutters i can hear the pump and hdds kinda losing power and regaining it. Then it turned off and im like WTF. So i unplug all unnesesary stuff to save power (turn off CCs unplug dvd drives and underclocked cpu to stock). I turn back on back up my files and reinstall windows fine. After all that i get steam and start dling HL2 (since i lost my pre-dl b/c of reformat :cry: ) i dont know if any of you have had to dl it since the release but its like a 700 min dl!! After about 2 hours into it my screen goes black (no its not a screensaver or hibernate b/c i was on aim at the time) and im like HOLY S**T not again !!!! Everything looks like its on all the fans and pump but no picture??? I turn it off and wait like 10 min then retry it starts fine again about 2 hours later the same thing. So this time its like 10 with like 4 hours left (it went down) its still running when i got to sleep at like 12 so i left it on when i went to sleep last night. When i woke up same thing so picture and when i started it HL2 wasnt dled so that means it not the card right if it wasnt dowloaded? So if any of you can help me i would really appreciate it right now im really pissed cause i cant play HL2. Well i didnt realize how long this was so ill stop now. Oh byw i dont really have any extra psu s that arnt cheapo ones with like 15a on the 12v line. Should i rma the mobo or psu?

If you have access to a multimeter, check the 3 main rails next time you can get the system started again; and then maybe once more when the system goes to a black screen. The first part of your post sounds like the PSU's protection circuitry kicked in, but there could be a problem with it too. A multimeter will help isolate the problem if it is the PSU.

ok will do thanks for the help ill check the rails with my $5 multimeter later when i get home. How much of a tollerence would you say is a problem? like %5?

I would say around 5% should do it... that model Fortron shouldn't be very far off at all. If one of the rails suddenly takes a nosedive when the system blackscreens, I would start suspecting the PSU.

Just reread your first post though and am wondering about that fan on the vid card... is it the original that started up fine again or has it been totally replaced? This might actually be an issue with the video card I'm thinking. Perhaps it overheated with the bad fan?

Last edited:
well i have a xfx ti4200 and the sock fan seemed to be working fine but making noise not loud but annoying and its was doing it for about a week before anything happend. When the system crashed the first time i decided to change it during my "down time" basically because i was board and didnt have a computer to go on. I replaced it with a TT ti4200-4600 fan i saw in the bargain bin at micro center. I did have to splice the wires to make it run off the card (wait could this be the problem?) the stock fan and connector on the cards pcb only have a 2 wire connector red and black but the connector on the tt fan had 3 red-yellow-black. So i spliced the 2 wire connector to the tt fan. By god i think this may be the problem maybe the stock fan is only 5v or something maybe didnt require as much current? WOW i think you just solved the problem!!11!!!1 Ill need to try running the fan off the 12v line when i get home. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MODdaBOX said:
By god i think this may be the problem maybe the stock fan is only 5v or something maybe didnt require as much current?

Might be on to something there ;)

Hope you can get things working.

bobby i think it is the splice :D I was genna say the psu is sturdy the mobo is too.......maybe its drawing too much current,and you said the LED wasnt working

actually the led is burnt out i know that. but i did resplice the wire to the 12v line and it seems to be working stupendious! Thx is the help everyone exept JD...

Glad to hear things worked out without the need to seperate the computer from major components for RMA :)

Back