• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

setting up a SATA hard drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

geestring

I got a new WD raptor 74gb, and i have 2 IDE hard drives, Igot a IDE Dvdwriter...

I want the 2 ide drives to be "slave" and be storage drives. I Want the SATA raptor to be "master" and hae the OS. How would i set this up? DO i need to play around with the SATA controllers?

The problem you will run into is that the ide drives will automatically take the c: and d: (since you have 2 ide drives.) What i would suggest you do... i do this... is unplug both ide harddrives, have only your sata connected... install windows on that drive (which will now be read as C:) and then reconnect the other 2 drives.

My BIOS has an option to boot off-board chipsets first - check in the BIOS and see if this is true for your board.

However, if the first two IDE drives have no OS i would think the BIOS would skip them and boot from the SATA drive if it were the only one with an OS installed.

Whats the proper way of doing it?? :)

SO i put the two IDE drives on "slave" mode?

One of the IDE's still has the OS on it, i plan to reformat in xp after i install the OS on the Raptor.

geestring said:
SO i put the two IDE drives on "slave" mode?.
No. One disk on an IDE must be master and the other slave (or set cable select to have position on IDE cable determine master and slave).

EDITED: Also "master" and "slave" designations do not apply to SATA disks.

Last edited:
huh? you said put it on master and then one on slave.... thenyou say it doesnt matter?
Im confused

I have never had mulitiple hard disks to work with but the procedure above by Vio1 should work.

i did what vio1 said... but the IDE drive with the OS still boots up first.
should i put it on "slave" mode?

Ascii2 made a little mistake.He refered to SATA drives wich don't need that master/slave thing.

Just unplug the cable from IDE 1 (on mobo).After you install the Windows on the Raptor,go in bios and set the Primary Boot Device: SATA. Just disable 2nd and 3rd Boot Device.
After instalation is ready,shutdown the computer,plug the IDE0 cable on the mobo,start and format the partition on the 1st drive (the one you had Windows on).

Thats basicly what Vio1 said. ;)

so i had to unplugged the IDE cable from the motherboard before i installed Windows xp on the raptor? Woops, all i did was disconnect the power for the two IDE drives.... I guess i must reinstall again

LandM what do you mean disable the 2nd and 3rd boot device... I installed raptor, then set it as first to boot, then the dvdwriter as 2nd.

Disable those until you install Windows and format the partition on the IDE drive (on wich you had your previous Windows).Then you can put there whatever drive you like,just leave 1st boot device: SATA.

Back