• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my 2600+ temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

_formation_100_

Hey all i was just wondering because l8tely my cpu AmD athlon xp 2600+ has been running at a idle temp of 60*c is this normal for a non overclocked stock cpu? Here is my system info:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-7VM400M
Ram: 512mb drr 400
Gfx card: GeFroce Fx 5200
cpu type: AmD athlon xp 2600+ 512kb cache

An someone help and or give me advice on what to do or whta products to use?

That is WAY too high. If you had a load temp of 60C I'd say it was too high. Even with a stock AMD cooler that is too high.

Here is what I'd do:
Make sure the CPU fan is plugged in and working.
If the fan is working, remove the heatsink and clean the old TIM from the heatsink and CPU core (carefully) and re-apply a TIM, like Arctic Silver 5 . Follow the instuctions HERE when you apply it. Carefully remount the heatsink, make sure it is making good contact with the CPU core.

Also if it is winter where you are, is your computer near a heater vent? What is your room temperature, and system temp?

I'd also check your voltage and clockspeed setting in the BIOS. If everything there checks out and you want to lower temps consider buying a new heatsink. Check the cooling section to see what is best.

Thanks ill report back if all that usefull info works. I cant record those temps because its currntly summer.

I run a 2600+ (Tbred, not Barton like yours) at 2.3 GHz. I don't know what your OC is at.

I have a Volcano 12+, not the best cooler in the world. It is thermally controlled by the PSU (not using its own controller)

32-34 idle, 45-48 load. I assume Prime load will be about 50.

I used a stock cooler for a while before my V12 arrived on scene.

idle 37-38, load 63-65.

So 60c idle is really way too high.

Things to check are to reseat the HSF and reapply the paste. I moved my HSF around a couple of times and my temps shot way up. Normally you don't need a replacement except if it's white goop and your temps are very high (which they are). The goop dries up and reduces the efficiency.

Also dust buildup on the HSF and the inside of the case, vent filters if you have any, etc. also contribute.

Last edited:
60C at load I could perhaps understand, but if at idle then something is wrong:

• Clear out dust from heatsink and case.
  • Try reseating heatsink and make sure proper contact is being made.
  • Make sure all fans are working correctly
  • Consider an extra case fan
  • Try lowering CPU voltage to see if that helps

_formation_100_ said:
I cant record those temps because its currntly summer.

It would still be helpful to know those temperatures, even if it is summer. If it is 35C in the room, and 40C in the computer case, then 60C at idle with a stock AMD heatsink (which probably has a C/W between .4 and .5 or higher if packed with dust, etc.) wouldn't be terribly suprising. If you aren't using a stock AMD HSF, like from a retail box, please list the model you are using, and how you have your case fans setup.

Sorry for not replying sooner The temps inside are 27*c and 33*c inside the case. Im using a stock HSF i removed the cpu fan and cleaned off the dust that was in it i dont have the plaste on me so ill try to reaply that tomorrow. After removing the dust the idle temps went down to 55*c. so ill reaply the arctic gell 2morrow and tell you all the results.

You reseated the heatsink without thermal paste??

Or did you just remove the fan from the HSF?

Anyway for those case temps your idle is still way too high. What's your case fan setup like? Intakes, exhausts, etc?

Last edited:
my case setup and i didnot reaply any thermal paste sinice i had none on me my fan intake is one at the frount another blowing out at the back.

Wow!!!! 60C!!!!! MY CPU hit that ONCE and the thermal protection kicked in and shut it down, thank God. Pull the side off the case and direct a desk fan at that thing until you can get the AS5.

Back