• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VCore on the NF7-S v2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

futura2001

I've had this board for about a year and a half now and have been pretty satisfied with it, although now that socket-A is dying, I am trying to get the very maximum out of this board that I possibly can.
Heh, it is supposed to last me until late this year when I upgrade to a 64bit system.
Right now, I have my board running at 227x11 on my mobile 2500 and I am confident that this lowly AQYHA 0430DPMW still has a bit more juice in it.
Unfortunately, the board is undervolting by about .25-.5 volts past 1.775 volts and my 12v rail and thus the CPU are experiencing some voltage ripples. As in, every time CPU-Z or Abit-EQ refresh the voltage is different.
I am fairly certain that eliminating this will be a good start to pushing my chip even farther.
Segue to this link:
http://s6.invisionfree.com/underclock/index.php?showtopic=301
Seems that it is a mod to control the voltage droop and fluctuations.
My question is simple:
Has anyone done this mod? If you did, how did you do it? Most importantly, did it work?
After browsing the XS and Abit forums, it appears that some people are unable to to boot above 1.85v after this mod, and I will probably be looking for 1.9+ if I get my phase change system sent down to me...

I haven't actually used the mod myself. But if you cool the MOSFETs and keep the temps on the chip down you should be able to push the chip higher with nearly 2volts, without having to do the mod.

I did a lot of reading about that mod too. There are a lot of different things that can happen. First of, some people seem to actually have their voltage fluctuating as is shown in cpu-z, and on some boards it is actually rock solid, and cpu-z is wrong. After people do the mod, something like half of them can't get past 1.85, while the other half can go as high as they like.

I would say to cool the mosfets and push the board as far as you can without doing the mod. If you do decide to try it, measure your voltage with a DMM before the mod to make sure you even need it, and draw the trace in a way that is easy to erase incase it limits you to 1.85.

Well, I have a GlobalWin VOS32 around here somewhere. I think sacrificing it to the gods of cooling would be a fitting end for it.
Mosfets probably don't care about copper as much as the cpu or the northbridge, so this aluminum brick will soon be sliced into little pieces...
Right now, I seem to be having a bit of trouble going past 230 fsb or 2600mhz, whichever comes first. Kind of disappointing since this same board and ram were able to do 244x8.5 with a T-Bred B...
Then again, it has been pretty hot in SF these past few days and my case temp is 25-27c and even with a c/w of .14 I am idling around 40c. Guess my chip hasn't realized that it is a mobile and would most likely be strapped to some halfassed heatpipe cooler running it around 50-60c.

Back