• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This bad for my hdd?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
no i wouldnt worry at all about hard drive heat .. unles everything is super hot inside your case.. even then hard drives with stand heat pretty well ..

so yes put it where ever you want

My understanding

Is that they are engineered to operate with little to no air flow.Will it last longer to have air flow over it of course.Will it last the duration of the warranty term like that more than likely.

I hope this helped.

MassRaptor

doubt it .. its really not that hot in there for them .. and i doubt you will increase lifetime .. if your drive will fail then it will be from something other than heat ...

It should be just fine. As said, it should be able to live without airflow, but a soft breeze never hurted anyone. Lowering the temperature of your drive will extend its lifetime.

pretty much all been said.
you took both drivebays out of your X3?
have you tried any of the software that can read the temps on the drives? ive heard 40C a safe and conservative number, however mine are allways above that. allso note that different manufacturers/models/brands/sizes will see different temps. have a look at your temps, and see what you are most comfortable with.
may allso check in with Arch on the xaser III thread, he may have more input to offer.

if there is any doubt in your mind, just back the thing up to an external drive.
the price of them is coming down, and many of them come with software that automates the task.
i do it, and i dont really worry about my main drive ( 4 years old) crashing anymore.
for me anyhoo, its worth it. good luck!

Sjaak said:
Lowering the temperature of your drive will extend its lifetime.

can you show anything on this ???

ive never heard in my pc years that a hard drive died from heat .. if it is gonna get that hot in your case to kill a hard drive i bet something else goes before it ..

Looks cleaner than alot of cases I've seen.

If you ever decide to invest in a HD cooler and can afford a 5.25" bay, I can attest to Vantec's Vortex coolers. They will drop temps 10+ degrees fahrenheit. I've been using two for the past year and they work great (temp LCD integrated into the front of each enclosure).

Xtreme Barton said:
can you show anything on this ???

ive never heard in my pc years that a hard drive died from heat .. if it is gonna get that hot in your case to kill a hard drive i bet something else goes before it ..

Just like a CPU, or for that matter, almost any electronical component, A harddrive suffers from heat. It deforms the material, increases electrical resistance etc.

A very hot harddrive (as in 50+ celcius) may start producing faulty read / write operations...try it yourself..lock your 7200rpm hdd up in an inch of pur foam and see how well it runs after an hour...

Agreeing with Sjaak on this.

Hot Drives = Bad

Around 120F or 50C electrical components start to degrade. Don't know how much for every F/C over that tempature it goes but it halfs the life of the components adn with each additional stepping it halfs that life. I remembered this from basic electronics classes back in school.

Cooling the harddrive is just prolonging your investment/data, just like putting a nice cooler on a video card/cpu. It doesn't hurt a thing to put a quiet sub 23db fan blowing air over it. Every bit helps.

try using a utility that can read SMART data like speedfan to check the temp. of the drive, then check out the manufacturer acceptable operating temps. I think they can get right up to 50C or so and still work. Mine are usually around 29-33C.

veryhumid said:
try using a utility that can read SMART data like speedfan to check the temp. of the drive, then check out the manufacturer acceptable operating temps. I think they can get right up to 50C or so and still work. Mine are usually around 29-33C.

Most operate around 43-55C depending on the drive, manufacture, size, bearings, etc. Sure they will operate but its not like it likes to operate at those tempatures.

Would you work better on a nice day or a hot humid day? Just like a CPU it rather operate at a cooler tempature then a hotter tempature, and this can be taken right from a OCing standpoint where it will run at those speeds under a certain tempature.

If you cool nearly everything else in the computer, why leave the one other device that gets hot not cooled? Guess the only thing you can exclude from this would be a CD/DVD drive.

deathman20 said:
Around 120F or 50C electrical components start to degrade. Don't know how much for every F/C over that tempature it goes but it halfs the life of the components adn with each additional stepping it halfs that life. I remembered this from basic electronics classes back in school..

For electrical components in general, every 10 degree raise in temperature halves the theoretical lifetime.

i have an old drive i will overheat like crazy ... ill run some stuff and get back to you and tell you how much it hurt .. i just cant see a hard drive getting super hot.. ill blow a hair dryer over it and see .. :)

Back