• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to clone Hard Drives, please help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GigaHertzAddict

I am building 3 identical systems. Rather than having to install the OS and software on every computer I want to just do it to one of them and use that one to copy the rest of them. I'm not sure how to do it though. I need some help because it will save me a lot of time. Thanks in advance.

Why not use the DOS installation utility that comes with most HD's. Applications like MaxBlast make a bootable floppy, (there is a CD version) and you boot into it, (with the drive to be copied and the blank drive connected)and choose setting up a new drive that is connected to the system. At the next window say you are using it as a primary boot drive and then format the new hard drive and it will copy the operating system from the other drive. It's not speedy in DOS but it works.

Norton has really always supported ntfs,it is just that most ghost disk were made with MS dos.If you put the .exe on an IBM dos disk it reads and writes full images fine.The newer versions of Ghost use it now.
The HD utilities are a good choice as they also use an ntfs version of dos.You could still have issues with all of them if you use a sata drive that does not support dos.

Back