• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SCSI or SATA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CougarSE

I recently purchased a nice AMI 160 raid scsi controller. I got a good deal on it and couldn't pass it up. At this time I'm also looking at upgrading from my single ide hard drive I'm currently running. I know my system while no speed demon is limited by hdd performance. I'm in a debate right now, I have a scsi raid controller with no hdd's and a sata hdd with no controller. So

1. Buy a matched pair of 15krpm U160's (can be had for cheap) to go with my controller.
or
2. Buy a sata raid controller and another hdd to match the 250gb sata drive I already have.

Either setup will be running raid 0

Storage space isn't my issue. Even if I'm running off of say 2 36gb scsi drives I'll still have my 120gb ide hdd. Performance is my need. From your experience what would be faster?

I'm also liking the reliability I will have with the scsi drives over sata. My own experience tells me this.

SCSI will be faster and that's what you want, so.........just keep the above mentioned caveats in mind.

Termination and heat are no problem. I'm not new to SCSI I just wasn't sure how it stacked up against newer sata drives.

Guess I should've added, that of course desktop SATA drives cache and firmware is more oriented to that use than SCSI, but it still seems SCSI's access speed will trump this according to those that've compared them for things such as a gaming system.

If you are a single user and this is just your home workstation/fileserver you don't need SCSI unless you are into benchmarking your arrays.

SCSI shines when you are serving up multiple calls at a time (hundreds or more) from multiple users.

Buying the faster drive is always better than some RAID.

Be warned, however, that 15,000 rpm SCSI drives are now in their 5th generation. The first one, the ones cheap on ebay, have pretty lousy performance, in particular
for large sequential reads and writes.

Also watch PCI. Whoever ends up on the 32bit/33MHz PCI bus, controller-wise, won't perform good.

your are going to be putting some 36GB 15k scsi drives on a ultra 160 controler and that is just a waste. i would definately go with a pair of 36GB 10k sata drives over 15k scsi drives for home use. granted the access time is cut in half but you wont notice the difference with only 2 drives. go with the sata and save yourself the trouble. scsi is not for home users unless you want to show off and then its not really worth it in the end.

Back