• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hardest harware decision I have ever had to make?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Recursion

I am looking to Build a new system Still currently running a system like such.
---------------------
Intel P4 2.4c
asus p4c-800e deluxe
9600XT
2gb ocz pc-4800

--------------------
Now I am looking to build a system with a Intel E8400 and a Nvidia 8600GT, as well as 4gb of memory. The hardest part is by far choosing the motherboard. There are just so many options and none are perfect. I know that I want these features in order

-Stability(the board I mentioned above had to be rma'ed 9x) I don't want that again.
-Raid 0/1/5 maybe more
-Overclockability
-Needs to fit in my LIAN LI PC-61 - I worry for the sata ports that are parralel to the PCB, will they fit with the HDD enclosure in my case.
-FDD connector.

No i have been looking at only mainly the P35 and X38 chip sets. I am not to much a fan of the Nvidia. Every time I look at a motherboard, it seems to be what I want, but then I read forum or newegg reviews and they say its bad. I have always bought my motherboards from Asus, but now all I read on newegg reviews is DoA, DoA, now I don't know if most of these people are noobs, and they just don't know what they are doing, or this is actually a reflection of Asus quality. I have never used another brand, but would be willing to try a reputable one. I just need stability, thats my main focus.

I know I could just go buy a Intel Mobo and have stability but they don't have the raid features I want and the DX38 is kinda expensive for what you get in comparison to other brands. I do enjoy Overclocking also, I did it to my current PC and hit close to 3.9 Ghz. So even thogh I may not drasticly overclock I still want the ability to do so.

I am a CS Major and I do alot of computation based stuff. I used to play games, but dont much anymore, but still want the ability to do so. I do alot of computation, in things such as bioinformatics and data mining, so I need computation power, but I cant have motherboards dying on me 9x again. 9x may seem like alot, and I have built well over 700 computers in my life, but most were with low end parts for customers. I tend to care a little more for my personal pc.

So if anybody could help me narrow this down, I would really appraciate it.

Thanks all.

I would strongly recomment the Abit IP-35 Pro, it is a P35 for around $150 and OC's like a beast, very easy Bios and rock solid stable

Would suggest going for a 8800GT, HD3870/50 over the 8600GT (waste of money IMO), also the 9600GT is coming out this week

I would strongly recomment the Abit IP-35 Pro, it is a P35 for around $150 and OC's like a beast, very easy Bios and rock solid stable

Would suggest going for a 8800GT, HD3870/50 over the 8600GT (waste of money IMO), also the 9600GT is coming out this week

I only have a Antec True Power 550W, its a newer model, so it has all the proper connectors, but I am concerned if it has enough to run the 8800. Also, why do you recommend the Abit if you don't have one yourself. Just asking. Thanks you.

Q^i like the abit or gigabyte boards, my next mobo will be the gigabyte GA-x48T-DQ6.

as for the video card, there nice can run crysis on medium. i just got a second one and got 12233 3dmark06. i haven't tried running crysis on high but i think i can do it with decent fps.

I would recommend getting a new PSU as those seem flaky when running at 75% or more capacity. Go for a nice Corsair or OCZ unit.

For the motherboard I would definitely recommend a p35 chipset as the majority of them love the FSB. I personally have teh Gigabyte GA-p35-DS3R which has many raid options and 8 sata ports.

I would also like to comment on the GFX card choice. The 8600GT is a waste IMHO. I would go for the 8800GT 512mb or the G92 Based 8800gts.

Every time I look at a motherboard, it seems to be what I want, but then I read forum or newegg reviews and they say its bad.

You'll drive yourself crazy reading those reviews. Look at the numbers more than anything. 500 reviews and 15 are bad for instance - those are pretty good numbers. Every manufacturer will have a bad egg here and there. Secondly, how many of those items were DOA because of negligence? I'll bet a lot more than actually came in the box that way. I'll bet they weren't DOA coming out of the box - plus many of them probably don't know what they're doing.

I like the suggestion of the Abit IP-35 Pro. I thought that was a nice board and had it in my cart along with the Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4. I eventually chose the Gigabyte board but I was torn between the 2.

A lot of people here are having great luck with this Gigabyte board. Lots of overclocking options and from what I'm hearing and seeing it's stable.

Choosing my mobo was also my hardest decision and took me a couple of weeks to finally decide.

I have always bought my motherboards from Asus, but now all I read on newegg reviews is DoA, DoA, now I don't know if most of these people are noobs, and they just don't know what they are doing, or this is actually a reflection of Asus quality.

I used to be a die hard Asus fan - not anymore. IMO they have gone way down hill for some reason and I wouldn't spend your money buying another one. I'm using a P5B with my e6600 and someone smoking crack decided to put the RAID option on this board - only thing is, it's NOT SATA RAID!!! and they don't tell you that before you buy it. Only way you can RAID 2 Sata drives is to use the eSATA port along with an internal SATA.

I also had the P5LD2 Deluxe running a Pentium D 920 which I've sold. I purchased the e6600 chip but that board didn't support that processor. All the other versions of the P5LD2 had BIOS updates for them to support those new Core 2 processors except the Deluxe. I waited and waited, they even told me to be patient that it was coming, but nothing. I had to go out and buy a new board. Never again will I buy Asus.

Last edited:
I only have a Antec True Power 550W, its a newer model, so it has all the proper connectors, but I am concerned if it has enough to run the 8800. Also, why do you recommend the Abit if you don't have one yourself. Just asking. Thanks you.

That PSU will be fine with the 8800GT and then some.

Ha, don't look at my signature friend, not to boast, I have 6 motherboards in current rigs including the Abit IP35-E , Abit AB9 etc, so I'm quite familiar with Abit boards

as for the video card, there nice can run crysis on medium. i just got a second one and got 12233 3dmark06. i haven't tried running crysis on high but i think i can do it with decent fps.

An 8800GT would defenitely be a better card for you, Vincent, because I get 14000 in 3dmark06 with my one 8800GT 512, and spawn and I have more or less comparable rigs (besides the video cards).

Back