• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vmware 2 vs 1 ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eddyg519

This morning I downloaded vmware 2 and tried loading ubuntu on it. I burnt the disk and put it in the drive but following the instructions in the sticky for version 1 leads me no where. Are the two versions different ? I gave my vmware box 1gb ram and 5gb hard drive and I've successful booted the system but what's next? How do I install linux and use it? GUI or command is fine but I'm a lost LOL

I'm trying to run the SMP on it .-)

Best regards
Eddy

I assume you got v2 because you're using vista? v2 is all web based and kind of funky. The easiest way to start it and use the new vm is to go into the main console (shortcut on your desktop) then click on the vm and click create shortcuts, then there is an option for create desktop shortcut. You'll have to have the remote console package installed or that option will be greyed out. The password will be the same as the main console (./windows username, windows pass)

Ok for this to work you need to put the .ISO into the virtual drive. Each Virtual disk you create will have a corisponding folder in windows (mine's located at "\Virtual Machines\VM Name\") Just toss the ISO into that folder and it should appear in your virtual drive. Then you need to mount the .ISO as your CD Drive (see attached pic). Then run your VM and it will boot off of the .ISO and install Linux.

I am planning on writing up a guide on 2.0 eventually. It's not as bad as most people say it is.

Attachments

• isosetup.jpg
    isosetup.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 159
I am planning on writing up a guide on 2.0 eventually. It's not as bad as most people say it is.
Were you able to install Ubuntu 8.04 using Server 2.0 on a Vista 64-bit host? I couldn't get Ubuntu to install properly. I had no issues using server 1.08 other than having to hit F8 every time I reboot.

I have 4 VMWARE 2.0 VM's running on WIN 7 64bit. The same thing happens in WIN 7 as Vista where there's issues with no signed drivers. VMWare2.0 has signed drivers so there's no issue. And yes Ubuntu 8.04 is running just fine without a hitch. When I was researching this installation I read that you want to use Ubuntu 64bit even if you have a 32bit CPU (I dunno if this is true or not but it might be worth looking into) Also, I needed to have virtualization technology enabled in the bios or it would not install.

Ok I'll give it a try when I'm home. So the shortcut that I Make on the desktop will launch me into the VM? Once I have the image mounted I'll see the Linux GUI installer?

I found it's simplest to open up firefox and put "http://127.0.0.1:8308/ui/" into the address bar, This brings me to the VM Server web interface where I can start, stop, and view VM's

When I was researching this installation I read that you want to use Ubuntu 64bit even if you have a 32bit CPU (I dunno if this is true or not but it might be worth looking into)
Ubuntu 64-bit with the 32-bit libs installed is required if you want to run the F@H SMP client.

Also, I needed to have virtualization technology enabled in the bios or it would not install.
It's enabled, otherwise Server 1.08 wouldn't work either. ;)

I had no trouble installing Server 2.0. It's just the Ubuntu 8.04 install that was funky. :-/

Does anyone know if there are any true performance improvements in v2?

I just refreshed my farm with v1.0.8 and new 8.04 VMs a couple months ago. But if there is any PPD gain from moving up to v2 then I could be persuaded to make the switch.

Also, can I take my VMs created on v1 and use them on v2?

I have only ever used V2 so I don't have an answer for ya.

grrr i cant seem to get it going for the life of me. I found out i pretty much have to use IE7 to get the remote login pluggin. I have that installed and i make the desktop shortcut and launch. I login successfully to a blank screen. so from there i mount the CD D: which has the ubuntu disk inside it and the program just freezes and crashes. Ive tried manually mounting the image as well and it doesnt seem to work no matter what i try.

:(:(

Back