• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm D'Ling Mint 7....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

Gonna give it a try seeing as how they have a live version.
I D'Led Ubuntu and it had the worst design for the desktop..just plain ugly, and I never got it to work right :bang head ...maybe Gloria will be better....if it is, I might scrounge up another Hdd I have lying about and install it there and dual or duel boot XP/Gloria. :attn:
Now is when I regret not getting the HDD selector switch advertised during the 90's...with ten or so hdd's lying around and so many OS choices I could use it now.
I have an old version of "System Commander", but I don't know if it will work across multiple drives, or if it will even see XP and above. :shrug:

I just love computers...they keep me thinking :cool:

Gloria has been fantastic for me hope everything goes well for you too!
As for the OS thing, Grub can handle whatever you need and do it quite well. It installs by default

Gloria has been fantastic for me hope everything goes well for you too!
As for the OS thing, Grub can handle whatever you need and do it quite well. It installs by default

+1 for grub. As for the hdd selector, I believe it was the Trios, manufactured by Romtec. Sounds like a good idea, but a good bootloader like grub makes a lot more sense.

I haven't been able to get Gloria 64 to work yet. I set up a partition, loaded Gloria, but the bootloader isn't working, (doesn't appear) and the live CD freezes at the desktop. :( On my HP DV 7 it won't load at all. It goes to a cursor and black screen. Haven't tried the 32 version yet. Perhaps not a coincidence that both rigs use newish ATI cards.

I have to agree about ubuntu. Its fairly ugly and a real pita to me. Have it on a laptop and desktop for use with my D2 accounts. I wanted to use fedora, but had problems getting wine/d2 to run properly. Runs fine on ubuntu though.

I run Mint7 64 which is pretty reasonable imho, its a good desktop distro which works out the box with most media and video websites such as you tube

I haven't been able to get Gloria 64 to work yet. I set up a partition, loaded Gloria, but the bootloader isn't working, (doesn't appear) and the live CD freezes at the desktop. :( On my HP DV 7 it won't load at all. It goes to a cursor and black screen. Haven't tried the 32 version yet. Perhaps not a coincidence that both rigs use newish ATI cards.

I ended up loading an Nvidia card into my HTPC that has video because the ATI drivers were flaky at best (hey lets go to 100% usage on 3 cores at boot for 10 minutes and then maybe calm down and only randomly spike 1 core to 100%.)

Tossed the Nvidia card in and disable the ATI card, lo and behold the system is as fast as I expected it to be.

i avent test it, but i heard few ppl saying that 7 sucked a bit

The biggest problem imho is the fact that its based on the latest Ubuntu which I consider to be poor in comparison to Ubuntu's earlier efforts.
Mint 7 has made the best out of a poor situation imho, however many of the great things I really liked about Mint 6 happened during the install, with Mint 7 I had to do these things myself or hack them out of the system.
Mint seemed to have lost 'root' login option during the install procedure for a start requiring you to disable sudo and enable root login if you so desire.
The stupid messages or fortune cookies in the terminal are enabled by default and although easy to disable, they remain a pain to remove completely

I think now is the right time for mint to fork its next release, the team do good solid work and it should no longer be built on the rocky foundations which are ubuntu.

Im an ubuntu fanboy but the fact remains they have let quality slip and seem to be focusing on meeting release dates and new features rather than finishing it.

The biggest problem imho is the fact that its based on the latest Ubuntu which I consider to be poor in comparison to Ubuntu's earlier efforts.
Mint 7 has made the best out of a poor situation imho, however many of the great things I really liked about Mint 6 happened during the install, with Mint 7 I had to do these things myself or hack them out of the system.
Mint seemed to have lost 'root' login option during the install procedure for a start requiring you to disable sudo and enable root login if you so desire.
The stupid messages or fortune cookies in the terminal are enabled by default and although easy to disable, they remain a pain to remove completely

I think now is the right time for mint to fork its next release, the team do good solid work and it should no longer be built on the rocky foundations which are ubuntu.

Im an ubuntu fanboy but the fact remains they have let quality slip and seem to be focusing on meeting release dates and new features rather than finishing it.

i didnt find 9.04 that bad.. at least it boots fast.. what issues have u seem?

This is the sentiment of lots of people who have been using Ubuntu for the longest time--And many are jumping ship to other distros because of it.

Depending on the hardware, it seems that 9.04 is more likely to freeze, or ramp up cpu/gpu usage to 100%, where earlier releases weren't so likely to...But then again, that same hardware might not have even been supported under those previous releases. A feast or famine argument.

Unfortunately, one's likely to experience this same sort of problem due to the fact that Ubuntu is based heavily off of Debian unstable-Again, you either deal with the problems of bleeding-edge software that may break every time you do a kernel upgrade, or deal with outdated (but stable) software.

Mint agreed, does have a nicer feel than Ubuntu, but it's still largely going to inherit the same problems Ubuntu has. Maybe they need to base themselves off of pure Debian instead-It'd be a cleaner base to work from.

Depending on the hardware, it seems that 9.04 is more likely to freeze, or ramp up cpu/gpu usage to 100%, where earlier releases weren't so likely to...But then again, that same hardware might not have even been supported under those previous releases. A feast or famine argument.

I haven't had a single lockup or crash in ubuntu yet *feverishly knocks on wood*. I tried 8.04 but it didn't stick. 9.04 is the release that made me switch to linux on my main rig for good. As far as mint, i'm quite intrigued but don't want to give up jaunty yet because I have it set up just the way I like it :)
being compatible with sites like youtube out of the box is a nice touch though, as I had to deal with several audio and flash setup tweaks to get plugins and such working correctly in jaunty.

Not sure how new you are to linux, but there's a s**t ton of GUI desktops. Personally I love GNOME, and hate KDE. But there's a lot of people who feel the oppoosite. There's also fluxbox, joe's window manager (JWM - it's also one that i like), XFCE, blackbox, enlightenment, and more and more.
Side note, there are two parts to a GUI, the window maanager which is a basic WM, and the Desktop Manager (which adds special effects, icons, and such).
So for a better list of WMs and DMs, http://xwinman.org/

I haven't had a single lockup or crash in ubuntu yet *feverishly knocks on wood*. I tried 8.04 but it didn't stick. 9.04 is the release that made me switch to linux on my main rig for good. As far as mint, i'm quite intrigued but don't want to give up jaunty yet because I have it set up just the way I like it :)

Something that evidently has been getting worse is battery life on laptops with each newer release..Unsure if that's a kernel problem, or something unique to Ubuntu. Mint's still going to inherit most any problem that Ubuntu has.

The variety of laptop I'm looking to use (Acer 4530-5627) has onboard Nvidia 9100 graphics, the newest drivers from Nvidia apparently seem to cause overheating/throttling/lockup problems, too. Moving back to the 173(?) drivers apparently fixes it.

I am beginning to think of another distro to check out, I know that Mandriva didn't cause aforementioned laptop to freak too badly, where 8.04/8.10 had kernel panics attempting to install, or upgrade the kernel-Everything also worked.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit it but as the forums' most avid Linux hater, I got curious and downloaded Mint 7. I really like it. This is the first Linux distro that everything has worked correctly on the first install. I even was able to download and install Handbrake and VLC with no issues whatsoever. If Snow Leopard fails to deliver the performance gains promised for 64-bit and multicore CPUs then this will be my next OS.

I installed mint 7 on an older dell I have laying around. As with almost every linux installation I have done on different machines, this one as well has graphics issues. :(

Back