• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 7 64 bit, is very picky about OC'ing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wega!

I run win 7 Ultimate 64bit. And I have recently started to overclock again, but I'm quite surprised to see how Win 7 acts when I've pushed the OC too far. When I've gone too far I get a BSOD after I have typed my password, and it then does a memory dump and restarts. Thats all ok and fine by me. The problem is, that when I back down my OC again, so a state that i know is 100% stable (I even tried running it all stock), I still get the BSOD and memory dump when I try to log in. And i keep getting this untill I have started windows up in Safe mode. After I have logged in at Safe mode, and restarted the PC, everything is fine :bang head

Sometimes it's not even enough to start up in Safe mode, and I then have to recover Windows to the last recovery point available.

Why is win 7 being so picky about this? What does it not just go back to normal when I back down my OC? It's really annoying that I have to start up in safe mode, every time I've gone a little to far. Is this just how Win 7 acts, or is there a way around this behavior?

Or does my Win 7 installation sound completely messed up? Should I Format C: and start over?

How does Win 7 behave with you guys?

I am running Win 7 pro 64 bit here, and I have not had to reboot in safe mode to clear up a BSOD after a failed overclock. Perhaps it is something to do with security in Ultimate?

from my experience, oc'ing in w7 is not fun. i setup a different hdd drive completely for oc'ing in wxp. setup bios profiles to switch back and forth to the different configs. may not be the best solution, but fits my needs. :grouphug:

Tokae: Maybe it is, I just dont really know what to look for :p

chawks2: Hmm, thats not good to hear... I'm not gonna start dual booting just because of this...

Possibly another hardware issue? im running same OS as you, windows 7 ultimate 64bit and although when i first tried to push my chip, it constantly Blue screened but now its fine :)

I run win 7 Ultimate 64bit. And I have recently started to overclock again, but I'm quite surprised to see how Win 7 acts when I've pushed the OC too far. When I've gone too far I get a BSOD after I have typed my password, and it then does a memory dump and restarts. Thats all ok and fine by me. The problem is, that when I back down my OC again, so a state that i know is 100% stable (I even tried running it all stock), I still get the BSOD and memory dump when I try to log in.

It's possible that your processor is only 32-bit stable! Now, that would suck!

It's possible that a core is too weak for 64-bit with your current processor OC. Sorry. :(

And this may be why I had high processor temp issues, even with just 2.9 Ghz on my E2180.
Possible that 64-bit really heated up my cores.

Last edited:
Possibly another hardware issue? im running same OS as you, windows 7 ultimate 64bit and although when i first tried to push my chip, it constantly Blue screened but now its fine :)

Yep, your case is typical.

=> It's NOT typical when you still get crashes after backing down to a processor OC that was OK before.

It could be that the RAM OC caused HDD corruption. Especially if you get a BSOD error reporting a registry problem!

Cuiiey: If it was other hardware issues, why does it only occur when I'm pushing my OC? Shouldn't it be there all the time then?

RJARRRPCGP: I've run this processor for over a year in 64 bit, and I have never seen this issue before starting to OC. And is the core is to weak for 64 bit with the current OC, shouldn't I be getting the error all the time then, and not just when I have pushed the OC too far?

Thanks for all your suggestions, I really appreciate the help :)

i think 64bit stresses earlier gen 64bit capable cpus more than 32bit
like c2ds, phenom1's, am2+ phenom 2s, am3 afaik seems to handle it better. and even then it was only a loss of around 50-100mhz

i havent seen cpus requiring more volts for similar clocks on 32bit, ive never really looked for it though

I'm guessing that what's happened is that during one of your overclocked sessions the memory had errors in it and this got written to the Windows folder when you shut down and now your Windows files are corrupted. try downloading and running CCLEANER

http://www.piriform.com/

or you may have to reinstall Windows.
Try running memtest overnight when your system is overclocked

Call me silly, but if a rig's hardware is not stable due to an OC, it really shouldn't matter what OS it's running. Unstable is unstable, correct?

Call me silly, but if a rig's hardware is not stable due to an OC, it really shouldn't matter what OS it's running. Unstable is unstable, correct?

have to agree, however, my personal experience has had me change my config for benching because didnt have the patience for w7. im not sure the reason why, but overall wxp is easier to oc in my experience. maybe there is something to the x86 vs x64 (architecture, not OS)

OR maybe because x86 has a memory limitation with wxp it makes it easier to oc because u not using all available mem? :shrug:

Wathnix: Hmm that sounds fair. When I get the BSOD I sometimes have a few seconds to read whats on the screen before it restarts, and it does make a memory dump...

Jmtyra: He he have you read my first post all the way through? My problem is not that i get BSOD's, it's that i need to boot up in safe mode and sometimes have to restore windows, just to be able to boot up again. EVEN if I've backed my OC down or gone back to running it all stock, before trying to boot up windows again. When I used win 98/2000/xp and pushed an OC too far, I could just dial down the OC and the boot up in normal mode, I cant with win 7.

RJARRRPCGP: I've run this processor for over a year in 64 bit, and I have never seen this issue before starting to OC. And is the core is to weak for 64 bit with the current OC, shouldn't I be getting the error all the time then, and not just when I have pushed the OC too far?

I was talking about when you squeeze extra Mhz and then it can only do 32-bit correctly, until you lower the OC.

And yes, getting errors after lowering the OC isn't typical.

I am assuming your compairing Windows 7 - 64 Bit to another OS. You have not told us what OS that was. Was it 64 Bit?

Also on your previous OS, did you test the OC with a stress test?

Did you add more memory or go from 4 gigs on 32bit (shows up as 3.X gigs) to 64 bit and 4 gigs?

Run Windows Memory Diagnosis in a non-OC. Then Run Windows Memory Diagnosis after Over Clocking. Also try disabling C1E.

have to agree, however, my personal experience has had me change my config for benching because didnt have the patience for w7. im not sure the reason why, but overall wxp is easier to oc in my experience. maybe there is something to the x86 vs x64 (architecture, not OS)

OR maybe because x86 has a memory limitation with wxp it makes it easier to oc because u not using all available mem? :shrug:
I'm thinking the second part, that it's something with the memory. Perhaps there is such as thing as x86 stable vs x86 and x64 stable. Pure conjecture on my part, though. ;)

Jmtyra: He he have you read my first post all the way through? My problem is not that i get BSOD's, it's that i need to boot up in safe mode and sometimes have to restore windows, just to be able to boot up again. EVEN if I've backed my OC down or gone back to running it all stock, before trying to boot up windows again. When I used win 98/2000/xp and pushed an OC too far, I could just dial down the OC and the boot up in normal mode, I cant with win 7.
Oh -- LOL, nope, missed that part. Disadvantage of reading OCF on a PDA while at the bar. :p :thup:
I've never experienced that with W7, even with non-OC related BSOD/failures; it's actually been quite the opposite, in that I can throw anything at it and all will be good. XP was the one that was always picky with me. Go figure! :shrug:

I think I'll do a re-install when I get the time, and if that doesn't help, I'll start looking for hardware issues :)

It would help if you told Me what OS you where using and if you stress tested it under that OS. Also, check your drive's SMART tables. You may find that the drive is failing. Lastly you may have a bad sector so a COMPLETE checkdisk may root and solve the problem. They sector checks take along time and you have to specifically check it (or add it to the command line).

Last edited:
Back