• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bios support for new X6 CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xenohitsu

Hello, I'm thinking of getting a new AMD Phenom II X6 1065T. My motherboard, a Biostar 785GE 128M AM2+ supports several X6's, except for the latest 1100T and 1065T:
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/cpu_support.php?S_ID=455
I'm curious, if you have experience with this: what would happen if I installed it anyways with the current Bios? Would the board not recognize it? That motherboard on Newegg has isn't sold anymore (deactivated), but I'm not sure if Biostar will update that particular Bios (6.1 to support newer chips). It's not a big deal, since I'm just interested in a 95w six-core, of which I probably could find an OEM (a 1055t 95w from overseas, or a 1035/1045t, for example)

It would probably be functional but may operate a slow, default, safe speed. On the other hand it may not be recognized correctly by the bios when posting but may fully functional since it is closely related to chips that your board is listed as supporting. If it is a black edition CPU you may not be able to change the multiplier.

I'd opt for it not recognising it at all. But it is dependant on the mobo, my Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 didn't recognise my 1090T when I first built my pc.

I still rely on an internal floppy drive when building a new rig. So I just install the bios update to a floppy disc, went into the bios, and updated from floppy.
Works fine now. =3

All in all, If it doesn't recognise it, its never too hard to update the bios. And personally, I prefer updating the bios prior to OS boot. Wouldn't dream of risking a bios update whilst in OS xD

It would probably be functional but may operate a slow, default, safe speed. On the other hand it may not be recognized correctly by the bios when posting but may fully functional since it is closely related to chips that your board is listed as supporting. If it is a black edition CPU you may not be able to change the multiplier.

Thanks. my motherboard supports my Sempron 2300+ X2 (2.2Ghz), which is not listed at the bottom of that link, yet is closely related to the 2100+. so it at least supports that generations' revisions (or the list wasn't fully complete). Though I would guess as yours that it could operate slower (though I installed Jupiter and was able to select three speeds in addition to the Bios config options for over/underclocking, so I think it works). Of course, this is a later generation, and that won't be guaranteed, though I might be able to take the risk and get a lower speed (or no compatibility at all). Also, an even later release will be the 1075t (95w- expected date: Q3 2011 ), which is an appealing 200mhz boost from the 1055t available, so I might wait till then to update it. (of course, by Q3 2011, there might be a bios update, making this current situation obsolete)

Btw, updating these bios files- is it possible to manually edit the bios file (like a gedit) and add the specification to the list? I'm guessing it's not that simple...

Last edited:
I'd opt for it not recognising it at all. But it is dependant on the mobo, my Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 didn't recognise my 1090T when I first built my pc.

I still rely on an internal floppy drive when building a new rig. So I just install the bios update to a floppy disc, went into the bios, and updated from floppy.
Works fine now. =3

All in all, If it doesn't recognise it, its never too hard to update the bios. And personally, I prefer updating the bios prior to OS boot. Wouldn't dream of risking a bios update whilst in OS xD

Those are good points. The current issue is whether or not Biostar will update the bios on their website to support it, as my motherboard has been discontinued. It's possible it will be updated in upcoming months, so my current options have no new bios to update to (i have the latest one, v6.1), so I am currently limited to the 1055t 95 revision, which is supported. (my interest is the fastest 95w x6 chip that the board will eventually support).

good news: Biostar wrote back to me saying the current bios should support it, and they'll update their list when they get one availabe (a 1065T) for testing.

Back