• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Cofiguration check

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hagrid_aragog

The following are the specifications i am planning to buy

AMD Phenom ii X4 955 Black Edition

Asus AM3 socket: M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A88TDM_EVOUSB3/
it has 128MB dedicated graphics onboard+ integrated graphics upto 1GB

Kingston 2*2GB 1333 Hz for dual channel support

500GB HDD Seagate supporting 6 Gb/sec

VIP Cabinet + 300W SMPS bundled

I am planning to use
i)This 500GB harddisk
ii)80GB harddisk sata 3gb/sec......5years old
iii)My existing DVD Reader+ CD writer( IDE) .....5 years old
iv)Another 40Gb Hardisk .....5 years old

Will the SMPS be sufficient????...i will not be installing a graphic card anytime soon....is it necessary..........i am a medium gaming freak.....please advice....
is the system specs i have chosen alright ( I mean the choice of motherboard and processor etc)?????

Last edited:
You can't game on integrated. Solitaire, minesweeper, angrybirds. That's about it. You need a video card.

Also, you do not want that no name 300W power supply.

And you don't need to fall for the gimmick of a mechanical drive and the 6Gb/s nonsense. Most mechanical drives will not even fully uitilize 3Gb. In order to use hte 6Gb ports properly you'd want a SSD drive. Though you can still plug the mechanicals in to them.. don't waste extra money on something that really won't reach full potential.

Yeah, that 300 watt no name PSU will not cut the mustard. Will you be using the stock CPU cooler that comes with the processor? I would strongly encourage you to get a good aftermarket cooler. Do you live in India? Its hot there and unless you have air conditioning you will need all the cooling power you can get.

A roomy case with lots of fans for good ventilation and a good quality power supply are the foundation of a good build. If you take shortcuts on the foundation components you will regret it.

Last edited:
if you want super cheap mediocre gaming buy llano.
you could even wait till august for the m-itx boards to come out and put it in a HTPC case like the antec ISK.

Yeah, that 300 watt no name PSU will not cut the mustard. Will you be using the stock CPU cooler that comes with the processor? I would strongly encourage you to get a good aftermarket cooler. Do you live in India? Its hot there and unless you have air conditioning you will need all the cooling power you can get.

yes i am from india........for now i am settling with the...the local dealers do not have FSP PSUs(which i heard are cheap and best)...........xorsair is shooting my budget up

also i wanted to know till what temperature of processor should i not panic???????................

also would connecting those five year old components affect the performance????....someone told me that.....due to the reduction of the rotation speed over the years........

and also thanks everyone for your suggestions...i cannot wait even for a week.....my current(celeron d 2.053Ghz)....it is almost on the verge of its death......it crashes time and again

over 55 celsius on the CPU will result in instability

This is true when overclocking but when running the CPU at stock frequencies and voltages instability often doesn't set in until core temps are higher than that. 70 c would not only give instability but put the CPU health in peril, even at stock speeds and voltages.

also would connecting those five year old IDE components(hard-disks especially) affect the performance????....someone told me that.....due to the reduction of the rotation speed over the years........

I wouldn't use it as a main OS drive but if there's some emotional attatchment to the drive or something, go for it. I have Pentium 4 that belonged to my Grandfather. It's useless and a dinosaur but I'd never get rid of it. Or his decade+ old hard drive.

Otherwise, toss it IMO because you can get 1TB for <$50 now.

the OCnoob is dead on, at that point the only reason to keep a drive that old is nostalgia, technology simply cant last forever and it is really worth making it last if it means something to you to do so, but if its purely a money issue, a newer drive may cost a little bit but the reliability is worth it IMO...

I am a firm believer in doing it right the first time. It may cost a bit more and take a lil longer but doing things right the first time means you rarely have to repair it later....
that being said, dropping a few extra rupies for a legit system really is cheaper in the long run then replacing cheap parts as they fail...

see.....i am not talking about the slowing of the device.......it is for sure going to be slow when compared to what it was in the beginning..........but will it affect the system speed and performance on the whole.....someone told me that it might cause slow startup speeds...etc....see for now i am not going to buy a new....i just don't wanna throw away my old ones when they can be put to use.......would it affect my new system in any manner????

I think you may be misunderstanding our banter about "slow" drives, we mean that if you boot the OS off of the ancient harddrive it will slow EVERYTHING down because it takes this drive longer to both read and write data which happens often ;)

yes your os speed is going to suck, and your hard drive is probably going to fail. cough up the 60 dollars and get your self a fast 1tb F3, or whatever else. non ssd drives are ridiculously cheap now. Or, use the old drive, have it fail, curse yourself for not listening and then spend the 60 dollars on a new drive anyway. OR if it doesn't fail, you'll end up getting sick of waiting a minute for windows to load, and all your programs taking forever to load up, and end up spending the 60 dollars on a new drive anyway. also, do new boards still have IDE connections? mine doesn't, so you'll probably have to look for a board that does, limiting your options a great deal.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I understand that the new 500G Seagate HDD should be sufficient for all my m/y needs, so i'd be removing the older ones.

Back