• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just purchased 8120 + CHV. Need some answers :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

I just Fxed myself with an 8120...

SAM_0363.jpg

It's new... so I bought it. Shall see how it stacks up to my 2600K purely in terms of gaming performance. The box is nice, if nothing else...

I grabbed the cheap Athlon II to flash the bios as I wasn't certain whether that has been resolved. Can someone chime in before I unnecessarily pre assemble with the Athlon?

Some reading today told me that many of the poor benchmark results for Bulldozer were due to buggy Asus boards... Good luck :)

EDIT: Since some people seem to be unable to follow the path of logic, a "buggy board" generally means there are BIOS problems. Obviously, this might be fixed in BIOS updates. Obviously, this means that the Asus (or any other) boards could very well have shipped with a bad BIOS, and could very well have an update available by now. See Bulldozer review on Hardware Heaven.

Last edited:
SAM_0363.jpg

I do still need to use this Athlon II AM3 to flash to the latest bios so the board will accept the 8120, right? Because my 8120 box didn't say anything about upgrading to the latest bios in the tin. It was factory sealed for sure.

Otherwise I will just resell the Athlon II or something.

How are you guys finding the D14 as a FX cooler?

And is there an OC guide for the 81XX yet?

TY x 1000:salute:

Some reading today told me that many of the poor benchmark results for Bulldozer were due to buggy Asus boards... Good luck :)

I wonder. I find it hard to believe as the asus cvf boards were provided by AMD with the chips. All ran the same BIOS. That doesn't mean there couldn't have been bugs, but most everyone should have been benching on an identical base platform.

Ocnoob, I would keep it - the asus tools are the best out their. With turbov and the Rog connect functionality. It is really the best there is.

Threads merged for you. Boards purchased after launch should have the proper UEFI for BD, but it's entirely possible wherever you bought it from still had older stock. I'd try it with the BD chip first and see if it will allow you to update to the latest version. That way you at least know for sure before opening the Athlon.

petteyg, that's just rumor and hearsay from random speculation on various forums by people who can't believe the results are what they are. There is absolutely no reason to believe it.

EDIT - To prove it I'm running benches on a UD7 right now. The results will appear in the UD7 review when it finally publishes (Giga has to address a BIOS problem...or not), but I can tell you that so far SuperPi 1M, WPrime 32M, PoV Ray, Cinebench 10 and 11.5 & 7zip are all within spitting distance of each other, with the CVF on top in some and the UD7 in others - standard motherboard variation. That 'theory' (I cringe to even call it that) is absolute bunk.

Last edited:
Threads merged for you. Boards purchased after launch should have the proper UEFI for BD, but it's entirely possible wherever you bought it from still had older stock. I'd try it with the BD chip first and see if it will allow you to update to the latest version. That way you at least know for sure before opening the Athlon.

petteyg, that's just rumor and hearsay from random speculation on various forums by people who can't believe the results are what they are. There is absolutely no reason to believe it.

EDIT - To prove it I'm running benches on a UD7 right now. The results will appear in the UD7 review when it finally publishes (Giga has to address a BIOS problem...or not), but I can tell you that so far SuperPi 1M, WPrime 32M, PoV Ray, Cinebench 10 and 11.5 & 7zip are all within spitting distance of each other, with the CVF on top in some and the UD7 in others - standard motherboard variation. That 'theory' (I cringe to even call it that) is absolute bunk.

Ok so the CHV is NOT buggy then?
I'm going to flash the bios using the Athlon just to be safe it was only like forty dollars and I can return it as open box.

I guess I'll just start assembling the rig and hope for the best...

We need an FX oc guide..

What is the max safe VCORE according to AMD on these?
Do AMD chips suffer vDroop like Intel? I've build many but I have only OCd on intel :(.

Last edited:
(Ok so the CHV is NOT buggy then?) = Nobody said that any of the bioses were not still somewhat buggy and will have changes as AMD releases new microcode for FX.

(I'm going to flash the bios using the Athlon just to be safe it was only like forty dollars and I can return it as open box.) = Yeah do it your way. Everyone suggested that you try the FX processor first and "see" what was the result. That way others that followed would not have to buy an Athlon to flash with if the board would just boot the FX processor. You are asking everyone to come and see your thread and "help" but I don't see you really hearing what they are saying for the good of those that follow behind.

(We need an FX oc guide..) = There are not going to be the flood of FX processors for a while for sure since the resellers are in and out of stock. So those of you that already have the cpu will have to write the guide. I don't really see but about 5 or 6 of you guys that have FX processors posting in the forum. You with the cpu are going to have the parts and pieces to write the guides. The majority of the 'big boys' are busy testing the various brands of board. So they are busy with other things to do.

(What is the max safe VCORE according to AMD on these?) = I saw a couple of sites that wrote that AMD suggested no more than 1.55Vcore "IF" using water. If you have a middle of the road cpu, you should make 4.7 to 4.9Ghz with little more than 1.475 Vcore anyway.

(Do AMD chips suffer vDroop like Intel?) = Vdroop is a designed in feature by the manufacturer. When understood fully it is not a bad thing overall. For reducing its' big droop the bios will have to have LLC or Vdroop compensation within. The Asus boards seem to be able to manage Vdroop fairly well to date.

What will the full specs be? What PSU, MEM, HDD/SSD.........

The rig will be my current stuff with a brain transplant. It is
120GB Intel 510SSD
GTX580
HX850
CHV, 8120
2x4GB Gskill 1600 8 8 8 24 1.5v
Velociraptor 150
Corsair 650D
Xonar STX soundcard

(Ok so the CHV is NOT buggy then?) = Nobody said that any of the bioses were not still somewhat buggy and will have changes as AMD releases new microcode for FX.

(I'm going to flash the bios using the Athlon just to be safe it was only like forty dollars and I can return it as open box.) = Yeah do it your way. Everyone suggested that you try the FX processor first and "see" what was the result. That way others that followed would not have to buy an Athlon to flash with if the board would just boot the FX processor. You are asking everyone to come and see your thread and "help" but I don't see you really hearing what they are saying for the good of those that follow behind.

(We need an FX oc guide..) = There are not going to be the flood of FX processors for a while for sure since the resellers are in and out of stock. So those of you that already have the cpu will have to write the guide. I don't really see but about 5 or 6 of you guys that have FX processors posting in the forum. You with the cpu are going to have the parts and pieces to write the guides. The majority of the 'big boys' are busy testing the various brands of board. So they are busy with other things to do.

(What is the max safe VCORE according to AMD on these?) = I saw a couple of sites that wrote that AMD suggested no more than 1.55Vcore "IF" using water. If you have a middle of the road cpu, you should make 4.7 to 4.9Ghz with little more than 1.475 Vcore anyway.

(Do AMD chips suffer vDroop like Intel?) = Vdroop is a designed in feature by the manufacturer. When understood fully it is not a bad thing overall. For reducing its' big droop the bios will have to have LLC or Vdroop compensation within. The Asus boards seem to be able to manage Vdroop fairly well to date.

Thank you for that great explanation. I did not understand what you meant when you said

You are asking everyone to come and see your thread and "help" but I don't see you really hearing what they are saying for the good of those that follow behind.

The rig will be my current stuff with a brain transplant. It is
120GB Intel 510SSD
GTX580
HX850
CHV, 8120
2x4GB Gskill 1600 8 8 8 24 1.5v
Velociraptor 150
Corsair 650D
Xonar STX soundcard

Nice setup you have there. I personally would suggest getting her together and benching everything to set yout base. After that max it out on stock voltage (not auto) and see how far that takes you.

Mobo = Crosshair V w/bios #
Cpu = FX-8120
Cpu Cooler = ?
Mem = 2x4GB Gskill PC1600 8 8 8 24 1.5v
P/S = Corsair HX850
Vga = GTX580
HDDs = Intel 510SSD/120GB,
Velociraptor 150
Audio = Xonar STX soundcard
Case = Corsair 650D
O/S = ?

Okay I took your parts/pieces and more logically ordered them for quick viewing as others come into the thread.
Note: My eyes cannot see that blue color you have used in other parts of this thread. Can't read the blue on blackish gray background, too dark. No contrast.

Sigs are pretty easy.

Be logged in to the forum.

Across the top of the forum is a button shown as 'user cp'. Click that button.

On the page that loads are a list of options down the left side of the page.

Under the Settings & Options menu area is a Edit Signature listing. Click on that listing.

Clicking Edit Signature opens another page. In the middle of that page is where you Edit YOUR signature.

Enter your information there and at bottom of the window you are entering your signature is button for either Preview Signature or Save Signature. Do save and you will have your signature incorporated into the forum in each of your posts. Of course Preview Signature will let you see 'how' your signature would appear in the forum. But in the end the Save Signature must be clicked to save it to the forum.

You can look at my signature for a template of some good stuffz to put in one's own signature when seeking help.

Good luck man.

Mobo = Crosshair V bios (latest)
Cpu = FX-8120 125W version
Cpu Cooler = NH-D14
Mem = 2x4GB Gskill PC1600 8 8 8 24 1.5v
P/S = Corsair HX850
Vga = GTX580 Direct CU II
HDDs = Intel 510SSD/120GB,
Velociraptor 150 HDD
Audio = Xonar STX soundcard
Case = Corsair 650D
O/S = W7 64

Thank you for that.

Last edited:
Nice setup you have there. I personally would suggest getting her together and benching everything to set yout base. After that max it out on stock voltage (not auto) and see how far that takes you.

How does one know what the 'default' and not auto voltage is, assuming all settings in bios are in AUTO?

Most motherboards have a section similar in name and function to PC Health. Usually the applied auto Vcore can be seen there.

Cpus for a good while now have had a Vcore range that could be used to make a cpu run the specified speed stabiliy. When the cpus are binned they are tested at a voltage within this range and normally some pins are set on the cpu so that the board can read and determine which voltage to apply to the cpu. However the motherboard maker can 'also' determine to apply X cpu voltage so that they feel it will run more stabiliy. So the stock/default voltage can actually vary from cpu to cpu and then again when plugged into a particular motherboard.

I have seen some users that their AUTO voltage was 1.425 Volts to the cpu. I would think that even using normal Turbo the Vcore could be set to about 1.375 and the thing should be stable. When overclocking AUTO on some boards has worked all the way to 4.4Ghz or close but remember that AUTO setting may well be over 1.4 volts.

Back