• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where to start with this FX-8120!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
-12v rail:

Okay, this will be a bit random. The −12 V rail was used primarily to provide the negative supply voltage to the RS-232 serial ports. It is still there because there may be a need to plug in a pci to serial card and it would utilize the voltage. it is a holdover and I really don't think it plays a big factor in the overall operation of the board. I can't find anything more concrete on the -12v usage.

I'm just surmising, cuz I never broke down a PC PSU before, but It takes in AC power and it steps it down to 12 volts AC signal. That AC power has both a +12 and a -12 "side" to it (it shows up as a sine wave on an o-scope). They convert the AC to DC, giving them a + an - DC voltage to use.

okay voltage issues:

ATX 2.2 form factor tolerances for the different voltages:

Voltage Rail Tolerance
+5VDC ± 5 %
-5VDC (if used) ± 10 %
+12VDC ± 5 %
-12VDC ± 10 %
+3.3VDC ± 5 %
+5VSB ± 5 %

Block Mounting

Personally, I've seen a dozen or more different ways to apply thermal grease. One of the important things are to use one that conducts heat very well (the better the heat transfer, obviously, the better). Again, there are differing qualities and compounds. EVERYBODY has their preference. Some are "instant" some take hundreds of hours to "cure" or some need to "burn-in" (like use your computer only x hours per day, let it set and do this for 4 days). I like Cooler Master ThermalFusion 400. it is only 13 bucks and is immediate use and is rated pretty high among thermal grease. You make your choice. As far as how to apply it, I go for the "entire surface" method. Simply, I use a new, nylon bristle paint brush to spread a thin layer over the entire CPU lid.

Now, when you tighten down the block, don't do a post all the way at once. I tighten them till all are just snug. then, move around the block in an "X" pattern, tighten each post a bit then move to the one catty-corner, then back to the one next to the fist then the one catty-corner form that. an "X" pattern. Keep doing this until you cannot tighten them down any more. But, By God, if you have the strength of a gorilla, take it easy. I look at it as if I were tightening a screw into a metal frame. There is a point it just won't go further in without damaging the mounting point. In this case, too tight and you can damage CPU lid. Key is, it needs to be tight to ensure as much of the cooling surface of the block is in contact with the CPU. The grease is there to even out imperfections between the 2.

As far as I know adjusting the bus or the multiplier will raise the temp equally, after all, you are pushing the clocks to the same higher level and that's what heats it up. Here's the rub, you start messing with the FSB, you start messing with memory timing because they are connected. JUST STICK WITH THE MULTIPLIER, THEN VCORE AFTER THAT.

HEAT

I'm betting you have the 125 watt 8120. It is a scorcher. Mine is a 95 watt and it is warm with WC. OC'd to 4.2 with ONLY the multiplier and a bump to 1.3 vCore for stability, I run at 35c (12 c over ambient). Under load, I hit, Max 48 c (25 c over ambient). My cores are chilly, just 5-6 c over ambient. Before water it was much, much higher. Anything you change is going to raise the heat unless you underclock or undervolt. if you OC your video card, you raise ambient temps in the case, raising memory clocks and volts does the same. Adding HDD's, black lights other cards in pci slots, they all add to heat. I see you have your 2 vga's way OC'd...lotsa heat in that case. That all adds to the heat of all the components, including the CPU - it isn't immune to ambient case temps.

Hope this helps and I hope I didn't get anything wrong (wrong...not a difference of opinion).

Yeah, I tightened my down all the way til the backplate corners became flush with the motherboard. I'll remount tomorrow with that amount of TIM and see where I'm at.

I would like to keep my multi at 225. Reason being is because I purchased G. Skill Ripjaw 1600mhz. Should of grabbed the 1866mhz but I cut corners on a few purchases. Really regretting a few of those, but I'm not about to pay to ship this stuff back. RMA'n the K920 ticked me off enough having to pay shipping for a defective unit.

With the FSB set to 225 my DRAM is running at 1800mhz and I've already tested that with memtest to make sure it's stable. If I increase the multi for it to run 1866mhz my computer doesn't wanna start, even with RAM voltage increased to 1.65v.

Again, another place I cut corners was with my PSU..It's 80 bronze and seems like a decent one but def not a gold. Still have my CX600 just incase something happens but it still had higher than 12v readings. Ahh, yeah prior to recieving my 990FXA-UD5 I was using a Biostar A880g+ board and I had the Corsair CX600 powering it for a few days. The 12v rail was at a constant 11.92v. It never changed. So it might just be this board.

This was my 2nd computer build but I put a good $800 in it. However, I really should of just dumped the $1500 I had set as my budget in it. Next time I'm just gonna go for broke and do it up right. I'll probably be building that once Intel releases there next Tick. The computer does what I need it to though. Like I said, the only thing I do on my computer is watch movies from a website and play the latest MMO, w/e one has my attention at that time.

I remember you posting about your power supplys backa bit .... if my memory is right then there is a good chance the same company made the two power supplys. We all have to start somewhere and we all did the same thing when we started, I know I did

I know these 2 GTX 550 ti's can heat my computer room up in about 5 mins from gaming. If I would of done a little research and paid attention to the dates I wouldn't of had these cards, but instead either a 660ti or 2 650's. I jumped on a deal a buddy of mine offered to me which was $100 for 1 GTX 550ti and the Corsair CX600 psu both still in the shrink wrap. Decent deal considering it was half what he paid retail. Ordered another for SLI the next day and 3 days after that they released the 660ti. I wasn't paying attention. Didn't really wanna spend 400+ on a 670 at the time and figured the 2 cards I have in SLI would give me the performance of a GTX 560ti(448).

With that said, I plan on doing away with this SLI stuff since my boards x16 slots are only spaced by 1 other PCI slot. Makes the top card run warmer than temps I like for a gpu.

Might be a question for the GPU section, but how much of a gain would I get going from the SLI config I have now to a 660ti. Would it be worth the $300 or should I put in another 100 to get the 670? I know I def don't want to run a SLI config because how it warms up my room. I could also move over to AMD if the price is cheaper for the performance. I just want to get a Single card that is worth the money and performs 20% better than my set up now. Any suggestions. Will post this in the GPU section as well

I suggest you start a new thread in the appropriate section. The current thread is 144 posts long for pete sakes! People are more likely to get involved in a new thread than an old worn out one.

i have the same type of issues with monitors having number leaping about, i just back up my hardware monitor readings with amd overdrive once in a while, just never, ever click the green dot and invoke the red ring. or install easy tune to back up your numbers, just don't activate it or overclock with it.

Back