• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where to start with this FX-8120!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
still nothing. Uninstalled, pulled the plug and started back up. reinstalled and to no avail. same thing.

yeh. I have 4 up top and 5 on the bottom

yeh, i tried on my 3rd USB port. nothing. Not recognized by my computer. the first time when i fired it up, windows recognized it and installed some updates. Since then, after uninstalling the Chill Cooler to re-install nothing shows up when I start the computer.

just tried on my first usb connector. nothing. i wonder if it's because I have the 3 pin fan control from the pump to a 4 pin.

A shot in the dark here ..... kinda a pain in the butt. Do a system roll back to before you installed the Antec 920 and make sure alldrivers are uninstalled. pop off the waterblock and install the stock cooler I think if you are carfull you can just set it on the cooler, make sure there is good contact and it is centered. You might have to lay it on its side. install the antec drivers and then shut down and reinstall the antec. Dont know what else to say. If you were nearby I could get my cooler to you, I know it works but thats not an easy thing when borders are concerned.

No ... mine would be the same .... 3 pin wire and 4 pin connector. But I have an early morning tomorrow not to mention a busy day and it is past my bedtime .... will check in, in the morn.

well, I did a clean install and now I have 2 items showing up for Device manager under "Other Devices" as USB controller. Doesn't give any information on what they are though

did you install the drivers for the chill controle before you plugged in the usb .... now that something is showing up .... have you tried installing the chill controle software?

well, when I did the clean install I didn't have the USB plugged in. Although, I didn't install my Etron USB drivers from my gigabyte dvd. Once I installed that, the 2 USB devices dissapeared. Don't think it was the Antec.

I've filled out the RMA thing for newegg, and its dumb that I gotta pay to ship a broken product back, for them to send me a new one.

I wish I could just control the fans myself without the chill control. The wires from the 2 fans are so short though. I do have 2, 4 pin fan headers. Does speedfan allow you to set a profile like I have with MSI afterburner with my GPU's.

Another question. Does the pump stay constant? Like, what I'm asking is does the Pump push through more water if the temps are getting warmer, or is it a constant amount of water flow.

I don't have the USB plugged in, but the fans aren't running at Full throttle. I think my mobo is controlling it. I turned off all the C1E, and that stuff, but i did leave the Smart Fan thing on. I guess that could be the reason.

I is quite possibly you got 1 with a bad fan controller. Who knows. Yes you could run those fans off your motherboard not sure you would have the controle over them as you would through chill controle and I have never used speedfan so I can't comment on that and as far as I know your pump runs at a constant rpm it isn't controlled by chill controle.

well, now waiting for RMA to get to em and then return to me with hopefully a product that works. I have my TX3 back in, and after wet sanding and polishing the surface I no longer get those 10c spikes at idle. Although, when I had the Kuhler 920 hooked up I would get them. I think I didn't get a good seat on it. So waiting for the other.

News though. I've got my FX-8120 running at 3.75ghz stable with the vcore set at -.05. So 1.2v, although when i run Prime Blend test it goes to the stock voltage of 1.25 because I have LLC set to High. My Prime temps are 50c max after 2 hours with just this crappy TX3. Can't wait for the Kuhler 920 to work properly and be able to see what this chip can actually do.

Increase of 650mhz w/o having to increase vcore. Is that normal with the FX chips? Or like Rgone said. I might have a golden one. Now, if I could reach 4ghz stable with stock voltage. doubt it, I have a feeling I'm gonna hit a wall with vcore and will have to jump up a good bit to push it over the hill.

you will be just adding small amounts of vcore, till you reach 4.5-4.6 thats where the big jump in vcore happens.

I would have to disagree with that. Maybe if your looking at benchmarks then you can say it..But this chip is by far a fun chip to Overclock. If i'm getting 3.75ghz with 1.2vcore, then I'd imagine once I get a working Antec Kuhler 920 that I will be able to do some nice overclocking.

Once you get these chips to 4.5ghz they run fine. imho, AMD should of never released these chips with less than 4ghz stock clock. But thats just me..

I could of gotten the Thuban, but I wanted the Bulldozer. Well, actually waiting for PD..just bought this one for S&G til the PD releases. Then this chip will go down the line of my family members computers. I'm the big computer guy, and my son gets my hand me downs..then it goes down the line for whoever wants it..lol. So it's not a bad investment. I think this time though I will be getting the 4370 with the stock clock of 4.2ghz. until then..laterz

here is a SS of the latest stock voltage overclock. Have vcore set to 1.20v, but with LLC it jumps to 1.25v under load.

I think I love this chip, even though it's not as fast as Intel, but OC it is fun. Can't wait to break over 4ghz. With the Hyper TX3 I've managed this. Don't think I wanna push anymore til I get my Antec 920 back.

CV4Kn.png

Crap0la "GamerMagnet", that doggone IBT at only 3.7Ghz can still force the temps up with only 1.2 set Vcore. I do hope that K 920 works a dream.

I too have an 8120 and it is purely for S&G. Like I needed a cpu and another motherboard!!!

My CPU was used and had been run pretty hard. It was bought earlier and some try and rumor that later FX's do a little better at lower voltage, which can translate to less heat. Noone knows for sure.

I like the overclocking for fun and sport. Cannot begin to afford it like I used to do before losing job in 2010 and it is gererally known just like an alcoholic that if you have OCTendency, then you can get hooked easily and begin the pay-out. Hehehe.

I have my 8120 set to 4.0Ghz on 1.3volts with only 'high' Cpu LLC and the voltage to cpu stays at 1.3V or below. I can switch to 'ultra high' and Vcore than taps over 1.3V. But I have 4.0Ghz and Cool N Quiet on and 'balanced' set in winders and it is really nice to work on and with. Just plumbed an old, make that really old SSD, into the mix and now things I do everyday get started a lot quicker.

Just coasting along at ~1.45Ghz and suddenly the load increases and off we go at 4.0Ghz and you hardly can beat that feeling. A feeling of I did this deal. I got R' done.

RGone...ster. :chair:

yeh, it still gets hot. Given that I only have a 92mm Heatsink with push/pull config, its not that bad of a cooler. Not meant for the FX series, but it worked wonders on an Athlon II. I did however put some elbow grease on it and wet sanded the base with very very very fine car sandpaper. So it's pretty smooth on the bottom w/o all those machine marks they mail it with.

Nice work Gamer ..... you are starting to be or have been bit by the OC bug now. ....... :muahaha::salute:

oh yeh, i enjoy doing it. I'm kinda familiar with it because Trents helped me out around Christmas 2010 when I bought my Athlon II x3. Ever since then it's been tweaking and changing to see where I could improve. Had a different user name back then though, but forum mods merged my two accounts. Forgot my old pw so I made a new one.

well I went ahead and tried to squeeze some more. I ran 3 passes of Intel Burn and all 3 passed. This is the SS of the very last one.

2m0HS.png

4ghz@ 1.2v well 1.26v with LLC giving some juice!!!!:attn:

Back