• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where to start with this FX-8120!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Core Temp knows there is n0t actually but one core temp so all it shows is the single temp. On BD it will be reading the core only and not what is called socket temp.

Question and it's a dumb one I think. The Antec 920 is meant for 120mm fans, so is there anyway I can use 140mm fans. The 140mm fans are the exact same model. Are there brackets to go from 120mm to 140mm.

Also, another question is. My local computer store sellshttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553006

These are 120mm Cougar fans. So I know they will fit, but say I buy 4 of them. And use epoxy glue to combine 2 120mm fans into 1. Then I would use them in a push/pull intake config for my radiator. The total radiator + fans width would be 149mm. idk..seems like a crazy idea but who knows.

and my last idea but not least. The width of the radiator is 49mm. The height is 151mm. I was thinking that I could grab 6, 50mm case fans, 3 for each side and attach them to the sides using some epoxy as well as somthing to raise them a little bit off the radiator metal to get some extra cooling. Only time wil tell.

If any of these ideas def won't work please let me know. I want to get the best cooling solution through this closed water loop, and as I become more familiar I will make one myself.

Regards,
Jay

I thought I remember being abke to view all my core temps with my Athlon II 455 in rhe red box I highleted UzsSM.jpg

maybe im mistaken. idk, but like I said. the spikes don't seem to in these 2 programs over hwmonitor

Carfull you dont get too caught up in all this talk about cooling the FX 8120. Yes they make allot of heat but the Antec920 can only do so much and it is not a custon loop. Dont over think it, it's really not that complicated. To answer your questions ........

You could use 140mm fans but would need an adapter......

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...e=product_info&cPath=36_172&products_id=25703

And good fans as 140mm fans generally dont produce as much static pressure as 120mm fans though that is slowly changing as new fans are coming out ...... maybe cougars if they have them but I have never seen or used them I would recomend the Prolimatech fans ......

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1..._-_Red_LED_1600RPM_127CFM.html?tl=g36c331s877

Not sure if this would be better or not then the original fans .....quieter for sure.

As for using 4 fand on it I dont think that would work. Remember the fan controler is built into the pump and I dont know how many watts or amps it can handle. If you plug in too much it will fry the controller and possibly the pump as well. Same if you were to use more powerfull 120mm fans. For example the Gentle Typhoon ap 29 .... a 3000rpm version draws only 0.22Amps to run but at startup will draw 0.94Amp. Enough Amps that they would fry my fan controller on my Cossmos II if I hooked them togeter on 1 channel.

okay, just playing around. havent got my WC kit/new psu/case/SSD though. But I can't get my FSB past 210. When I set it to 210 it take me to the screen do you want to repair windows or start windows automatically. Same thing happens when I put my multi at 18.

Is this due to not having adequte cooling or is there something wrong with the chip. Remember this is a Fresh Clean install. After I tried the Repair option it said there was nothing wrong.

Just wondering about that!!!

Did you set this after a blue screen...... if so that is pretty normal just click start windows normally. This is not a cooling issue.

1. I completely agree with 'bassnut' that you can overthink an issue. The old saying about study long and study wrong can apply. There us nothing wrong with investigating, but there is a limit and then you got pay to play.

2. I have read articles about attaching fans one to another and the idea is generally a failure. Even some push-pull setups are not optimum although peeps continue to throw them together willy-nilly.

3. Replacing the fans on a radiator with ones that are bigger in fan diameter can be defeating since most of the fans push the air on the outer edges. So too wide a fan and the air misses the meat of the radiator. They do have some newer fans named 'vortex' or similar that are *supposed* to push more air out from the center of the blardes and not just mostly the outer edges of the blades.

4. If you wait a little longer the newer PileDriver processor might appear and they should run cooler. I am kidding, but it is a thought.

5. FX 6200 3.8/4.1 GHz 6MB 8MB socket AM3+ 125W 32nm SOI
FX 6100 3.3/3.9 GHz 6MB 8MB socket AM3+ 95W 32nm SOI
FX 4170 4.2/4.3 Ghz 4MB 8MB socket AM3+ 125W 32nm SOI
FX 4130 3.8/3.9 Ghz 4MB 4MB socket AM3+ 125W 32nm SOI
FX 4100 3.6/3.8 Ghz 4MB 8MB socket AM3+ 95W 32nm SOI

6. If you are worried about temps get this processor as it is a 95 watt rated one. 6 cores should be more than enough with just about anything the average user might do. Most of us have way too much power and not enough good applications to take advantage of the power.
FX 6100 3.3/3.9 GHz 6MB 8MB socket AM3+ 95W 32nm SOI

7. My favorite is this one since it overclocks like crazy with most that I have seen in use. Four cores alright enough but they do 4.5Ghz on a good board, just about like falling off a log.
FX 4170 4.2/4.3 Ghz 4MB 8MB socket AM3+ 125W 32nm SOI

8. Either the #6 or the #7 above could be handled by an H-100. I refer to it because I have seen more results using them. That does not mean the top of the line Kuhler 920 I think it is will not work okay.

9. By the way, I am typing this to you on an FX-8120 at 4740Mhz. Can I tell it is that fast? Heck NO I cannot!! This is what I do on a computer most likely 90% of the time. Think about it. Good luck and be well man. RGone...ster.

okay, just playing around. havent got my WC kit/new psu/case/SSD though. But I can't get my FSB past 210. When I set it to 210 it take me to the screen do you want to repair windows or start windows automatically. Same thing happens when I put my multi at 18.

Is this due to not having adequte cooling or is there something wrong with the chip. Remember this is a Fresh Clean install. After I tried the Repair option it said there was nothing wrong.

Just wondering about that!!!

When you raise the FSB, don't forget that not only does the CUP frequency speed up but the frequencies of the HT Link, the CUPNB and the ram also speed up because they are all tuned to the FSB. Any one of them can become the source if instability so they have to be individually adjusted to prevent that from happening. I don't think a lot of people use the FSB to overclock the FX CPUs.

Sorry for the short answer last night but was beat and off to bed. Before I got my FX 8150 I never played much with the FSB kinda like you I found I could not get to high without instability. That doesnt seem to be the case with my combo .... FX8150 and Asus Crosshair V ..... I am not sure but I think raising the FSB may be more motherboard related. Maybe trents or RGone can clarify this as they will have more experience with it than I do.

Keep in mind that raising your FSB it also raises your Nothbrige/CPU, HT Link and memory settings as well rather than being an issue with the CPU. When you raised your FSB did you look to see what it did to your other settings. By Raising your FSB by 10 you will have overclocked all your other settings by 2000MHZ as well. So if your OC was 3900MHZ with a 2400MHZ Northbridge CPU and 1600 Memmory all these settings will have changed with your FSB bump of 10 and is more likely your cause of your issues as your CPU would have been 4100MHZ, Northbridge / CPU 2600MHZ ...... etc .

Did you set this after a blue screen...... if so that is pretty normal just click start windows normally. This is not a cooling issue.

yeh, so I choose start windows normally. It then starts up and I look at CPU-Z and its back to stock clock

@bassnut: When I set the FSB to 210 and leave everything the same it goes to a screen that says you have overclocked that doesn't meet compatilibilty or something like that. If I raise my Multi past 18 it does the same thing. I choose the start windows normally and it takes everything back to stock clock.

but I figured out something. When I drop my Multi to 15 I can raise my FSB past 210 without any trouble
N1w8l.png

Even though this is kinda pushing the temps a little. You also can't see the core temp when you enlarge the picture it's 46c max. A mistake in the writint I made was the volts. It's suppose to be 1.23v. This isn't nothing specoa;

Reason I went with the antec 920 is I will use that as a single GPU color. Down the road I'll be able to fit a 240mm rad on top my new case so I could use that for a custom loop CPU cooler. Or just sell the 920 and and put both cpu and gpu on the custom loop when I find someone around here thats a professional.

Like I said, I love the pipes the 920 has isntead of the crinkly ones the corsair come with.

the main reason I want to raise FSB is to OC my memory. Right now its at 1800 mhz sitting at 1.5v If I just leave the cpu clock at 200, and change the memory multi from 8.88 to x9 then I get instability problems. I have G. SKill Ripjaws 2x4 gb DDR3 rated for 1600mhz. There up to 1900mhz now at same voltage. Once I get all my new toys I'll play aaround a bit

Raising the FSB isnt bad and it helped me get a better OC, you just have to be carfull when you up the multy to bring the other things back down to a reasonable level. With the Black Eddition CPU's we seldon ever had to pay with the FSB and I always did my OC with the CPU Multi alone Till I read the Bulldozer Overclocking Guide, if you ahve not read it you should. Thats when I tried a combination of using the FSB and Multi with my OC.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688663

Keep in mind for every increase of 5 on your multi you will see a jump of 1000MHZ on your CPU so to keep your OC at 3900 where it was stable you would have to lower your CPU multiplier by .5 to 19. If you rasie by 10 your multy should be reduced to 18.5. You see what I am getting at. The same can be said for the CPU/NB and HT Link. Every time you raise your FSB it also affects your ram. That is why your OC failed something was out of ballence.

Some people run a real high ram, I am running at 1866 ish cant remember exactly off the top of my head

with the F10b bios, once i make a change in my bios it shows me exactly what my clock will be for Core clock, CPU NB clock, HTT LINK clock and RAM clock.

although I don't see the NB clock anywhere on my bios nor anywhere to change it unless it's tied in with HTT LINK. I know the NB clock has to be higher than the HTT link clock or they can equal each other. Well thats from what I got out of Dolks guide when I OC'd my Athlon II x3 455.

btw what is this. It's where the HT link use to be but now it's changed when I put my Bulldozer in.

KvJIC.jpg

And for some reason my NB is only 2025mhz. I wish I could figure out how to change it in the bios. The Biostar bios I had on my old bold was simple, and easy to understand.

"Rated FSB" is being used the same way as "HT Link Frequency" pre-FX. What we call "FSB" we really should be called HT Reference anyway in current AMD terminology and architecture. "FSB" ins technically incorrect, being a dated term carried over from years ago before the memory controller was moved to the CPU die back in the Athlon 64 days. But all us old duffers still use it because functionally speaking it does essentially the same thing and we all know what we mean by it.

O.M.G

newegg, newegg, newegg. I am so ticked off with newegg and there shipping methods.

This will be my last time dealing with them. I ordered The Antec 920, XCLIO Goodpower 650 watt psu, OCZ Agility 3 SATA III SSD and the NZXT M59 case.

So, the WC Kit, PSU and SSD are coming from California and the Case is coming from New Jersey. I placed my order around 8am on Friday, August 31st. They process my payment and what not and now it's been in the Packaging department since 10am on that Friday. So I did there contact us through Chat and I spoke with someone. I gave him the entire story and all and come to find out 1 of my packages have been shipped. The one coming from california and he gave me a tracking number.

So I tracked it, and the delievery date shows 9/6/2012. What kind of BS is this. Weekends don't count as delivery days, because they sure have before when I've ordered items from other places. The customer service with newegg had absolutely no clue what she/he was talking about.

At first they told me they do no processing on the weekends. I had to repeatedly tell the rep they processed my payment. I know monday is a holiday abd there won't be any deliveries but I should still recieve my items the following day instead of UPS holding them so they don't get shipped to early.....(end rant)

besides that. hope everyone else is having a good day. And now I'll def go through a different retailer to make my purchasesl Lesson learned!

Shipping is shipping and that can happen anywhere. My last order from Daz Mode was like that ..... they were closing for a holliday and I placed my order Wed 9 am..... they were closed Thurs - Friday, and had figured they would ship befor they closed Wed ..... not and of course the weekend so it was Tuesday before I got my stuff. It sometimes happens everyhere.

GamerMagnet said:
From post #71 >> but I figured out something. When I drop my Multi to 15 I can raise my FSB past 210 without any trouble.

That one statement there just about tells the whole story. TOO little vCore or a garbage cpu worse than any in human history and I doubt the latter.

Dropping just the multiplier does not change the speed of the other busses. But upping the FSB with the multiplier dropped says the other busses CAN stand some more speed but the CPU is held back and MOST likely by TOO little Vcore.

But you are running TOO hot to raise Vcore so you go in a pretty large circle. You are going to have to give that stangled cpu some Vcore. At some point in time.

newegg, newegg, newegg. I am so ticked off with newegg and there shipping methods.

This will be my last time dealing with them. I ordered The Antec 920, XCLIO Goodpower 650 watt psu, OCZ Agility 3 SATA III SSD and the NZXT M59 case.

So, the WC Kit, PSU and SSD are coming from California and the Case is coming from New Jersey. I placed my order around 8am on Friday, August 31st. They process my payment and what not and now it's been in the Packaging department since 10am on that Friday. So I did there contact us through Chat and I spoke with someone. I gave him the entire story and all and come to find out 1 of my packages have been shipped. The one coming from california and he gave me a tracking number.

So I tracked it, and the delievery date shows 9/6/2012. What kind of BS is this. Weekends don't count as delivery days, because they sure have before when I've ordered items from other places. The customer service with newegg had absolutely no clue what she/he was talking about.

At first they told me they do no processing on the weekends. I had to repeatedly tell the rep they processed my payment. I know monday is a holiday abd there won't be any deliveries but I should still recieve my items the following day instead of UPS holding them so they don't get shipped to early.....(end rant)

besides that. hope everyone else is having a good day. And now I'll def go through a different retailer to make my purchasesl Lesson learned!

I have never dealt with companies that count weekends and holidays as shipping days. Remember, Monday is Labor Day. Most companies state that shipping time estimates refer to "business days". Be upset if you want but you will not find an online etailer that is as good to work with as NewEgg. They are the Sears Roebuck of electronics etailers.

This. Shipping time is always in business days. You'll never get stuff fast if you're ordering on a holiday weekend like Labor Day.

Back