• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How is this build looking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Swole92

Hey guys,
I'm new here and just looking for some advice.

Will be buying some parts and building a new rig (first time build).
This is what I have in mind:

Intel i5 2500k
Corsair Veangence 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz RAM
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 570 Super Overclock 1280MB
OCZ 60GB SSD (run OS)
Samsung 1TB HD
Thermaltake 700W Power
Samsung 22x SATA DVD-RW Drive
Sharkoon T5 Value Black Case USB 3.0

I'm stuck with which motherboard to get...
Current one isn't SLI compatible and doesn't have much room for extras.
So if someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it :)
Also do I need any extra cooling?

Cheers!

Do you have a specific budget? I would suggest getting a hyper 212+ as it is one of the best value/performance coolers. Do you have a particular brand you wish to go with on the mobo?

Do you have a specific budget? I would suggest getting a hyper 212+ as it is one of the best value/performance coolers. Do you have a particular brand you wish to go with on the mobo?

Yeh the hyper 212+ is cheap and a good idea, thanks.
Pretty much the above stuff is getting close to the budget so need to find a reasonably priced and good value mobo. I don't mind about the brand, just has to be Intel, supports SLI/Crossfire and anything else that you think I might need. (new to all this).
If you know of a better case (cooling, size, etc) that would be great too.
And any other recommendations/advice would be appreciated! :)
Thanks!

Found a mobo that looks decent.
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3

Still trying to decide whether the current case has sufficient cooling (front + rear)...

I personally would simply change the case and the PSU. I am not a big fan of thermaltake psu's but thats just me. I would go corsair or antec in that boat. As far as the ud3 I have it and I am not a fan of it. It's a "decent" motherboard, but if you are going from scratch I highly recommend spending just a few bucks more and getting something nice like a ud4. If you look for "combo" discounts you can get a really good deal on things.

All in all though the ud3 isn't that bad of a board. Like I said I have it, im an avid overclocker and I have put this thing through the ringer. But if you look up my ud3 thread, there are a few things I despise about this board. A much better choice is the ud4. Stay z68 though =D

Don't get the Gigabyte aftermarket cards. They're cooler is NOT good enough to run the OCs that they put on the cards. Many people have overheating issues in multicard configurations.

The Z68XP-UD3 is a pretty good motherboard. Only thing with it is that it is not a GEN3 motherboard. This means that when Ivy Bridge comes out next year, if you put it in that motherboard, you lose SLI/CFX compatibility. The ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 is what I would go if you're interested in multi-card setups.

What's your overall budget?

I personally would simply change the case and the PSU. I am not a big fan of thermaltake psu's but thats just me. I would go corsair or antec in that boat. As far as the ud3 I have it and I am not a fan of it. It's a "decent" motherboard, but if you are going from scratch I highly recommend spending just a few bucks more and getting something nice like a ud4. If you look for "combo" discounts you can get a really good deal on things.

All in all though the ud3 isn't that bad of a board. Like I said I have it, im an avid overclocker and I have put this thing through the ringer. But if you look up my ud3 thread, there are a few things I despise about this board. A much better choice is the ud4. Stay z68 though =D

I have since changed a few things.
Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD6950 2GB [11188-05-41G] this one is unlockable to a 6970 (hopefully) and it saves me $150 or so.

I'll have a look at other PSU's, is 700W enough if I were to OC and maybe get another 6950 in the future?

Yeh I have been reading and its probably a good idea to go with a gen3 mobo for future proofing (ivy bridge).

Thanks man!

Don't get the Gigabyte aftermarket cards. They're cooler is NOT good enough to run the OCs that they put on the cards. Many people have overheating issues in multicard configurations.

The Z68XP-UD3 is a pretty good motherboard. Only thing with it is that it is not a GEN3 motherboard. This means that when Ivy Bridge comes out next year, if you put it in that motherboard, you lose SLI/CFX compatibility. The ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 is what I would go if you're interested in multi-card setups.

What's your overall budget?

Have changed the card to a Sapphire Radeon HD6950 2GB [11188-05-41G] which is saving me $150 or so. Also I will be able to unlock it to a 6970 (hopefully).

Ah I didn't take that into consideration. I'll have a look at that mobo.

I'm trying to keep it at $1500 or less, I'm an Aussie so parts aren't quite as cheap as the US but I can still get some good deals. The thing thats killing the budget is the price of HDD's now due to the floods or w/e... What I'm paying now for one, I could nearly buy 2 for the same price before :S.

Appreciate the help man :)

I'd go with something like this. From PCCaseGear.com, all in AUD:

Yeh that's the site I've been using.
That looks good, thanks for that mate.
What do you think of this? (cut the price down a bit more)
This motherboard is gen3 and like $100 cheaper, is it adequate?
Also the case is cheaper too and seems to have good space and airflow.
$1271
pc.JPG

Yeee the 750TX sounds good.
Ok sweet.
Thanks heaps for your help man, really appreciate it :)

Back