• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help overclocking Phenom x4 9950 Black Edition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xxjoe1121xx

Registered
i have amd phenom x4 9950 black edition stock 2.6ghz
asus m2n-e mobo
8gigs of 6400 ddr2 800mhz
radeon 5450 512mb gddr5 graphics
1x 1 terrabyte 2x 250gig hdd

mobo is flashed to the latest bios for that chip

my question is i started over clocking this a few weeks ago...now im new to this so im sure there is a step or 2 that im missing somewhere that its not letting me really turn this up that much...right now its stable at 2913.4mhz with a min-max temps from 41-52*C right now typing this it seems happy at 43 pretty steady. im booted into windows 7 ultimate 64bit

cpu speed is set at 200mhz with a 14.5 multiplier and voltage is set to auto...

i have a cooler master hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP currently on its way...odered it off newegg.ca 4 days ago.

i guess my question is is this 2.913 all im goona get out of this rig?

First off I want to say :welcome:

If you raise your multiplier one more notch does it crash? also could you download CPUz and take a screen shot with the cpu, mainboard and memory tabs open?

from there we will be able to better help you with more information.

good first post with 95% of the information needed to help you along :thup:

once again :welcome:

Edit: also are those your load temps?

yes, if i turn the multiplier up to 15 it crashes as soon as windows starts. the temps i posted were from idle to... well the only load ive really put on was the windows assesment and that peaked at 53*c. surfing web its steady at 42-43*c

i dont know how to do screenshots on here...kind of a noob at that stuff...

yes, if i turn the multiplier up to 15 it crashes as soon as windows starts. the temps i posted were from idle to... well the only load ive really put on was the windows assesment and that peaked at 53*c. surfing web its steady at 42-43*c

i dont know how to do screenshots on here...kind of a noob at that stuff...

the print screen button on your keyboard and paste into paint then save as a photo.

or

using the snipping tool built into w7.

EDIT: give this guide a read. it will give your a better understanding.

Moved to AMD CPUs where you'll probably get more help and fixed the title so it more accurate describes the problem.

:welcome: to the forums

The main thing to realize is that when you make the CPU go faster you need to add voltage to it to support the higher speed. You said the CPU voltage was on Auto. You will need to manually increase it some but you are already close to hitting or are hitting the temp wall it looks like.

By the way, the "core" temp is the critical one, not the "CPU" temp (actually, "CPU" temp is the motherboard socket temp) so when you say you are hitting 52 C. which are you referring to. The software that came with your motherboard will probably not give you core temp. Third party programs like CoreTemp and HWMonitor will give you core temp and HWMonitor gives both. 55 C. is widely considered to be the core temp threshold where instability begins to set in.

Also, we gauge max temps around here by running Prime95 blend for about 20 minutes so you should try that and report back.

Your CPU is a hot-running one by nature and will need good aftermarket cooling to get very much overclock at all.

ok ya i can do the screenshots...how do i upload them on to here?

thankyou mbentley

today i was doing some multi tasking and got 3 blue screens, had to turn it down to 2812mhz and temps still climb up to 58*c...oh and i am using core temp to get my temps

To do screenshots and upload them with your pics;
1. Use Snipping Tool in Windows accessories to fame, crop and save the images to disk
2. Click on the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of any new post window. This brings up the Advanced Post window.
3. Find the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced Post window and click on it
4. The image selector/uploader window then pops up. The rest is obvious.

Please do no lump a group of images together on the desktop and upload one pic of all of them. They are so small the details they contain are hard to see when you do that. Please upload each image separately. You can upload three at time max but if you want to add more you can edit the post and do so.

If you have not done so, please download and install CPU-z and Prime95.

I have cpu z. I will download the prime 95 when i get home tonight. Also my new cooler should be in tomorrow.

here are the screen pics as requested

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    17.4 KB · Views: 2,470
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    15.3 KB · Views: 2,458
Once you get your new cooler installed run prime 95 for 20mins and let us know your temps. :thup:

i have 2 different makes of ram in here dimm 1 and 3 have corsair 6400 800mhz
and 2 and 4 have lexar 6400 800 mhz. the corsair has heatsynks and the lexar doesnt...im goona get 2 more sticks of the corsair cause it was just as cheap as the lexar...

here are the 2 different ram specs on cpu-z

new cooler installed (backwards...dumdum) temps at idle are at ~35-37*c
when i ran prime95 befor it crashed the temps maxed out at 47-48*c. full 10* drop in temp, once i get the airflow pointing the right direction hopefully that will help it go down even more..
.btw the instructions that come with that cooler master cpu cooler are backwards, dont go by the arrown in the pics :-/

Attachments

• Capture4.JPG
    Capture4.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 2,469
  • Capture5.JPG
    Capture5.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 2,485
Your CPU core voltage at 1.136 is way too low (Post #12)! Do you have Cool N Quiet still enabled? Disable that and C1E as well and then go into Windows Control Panel and set the Power Options to High Performance.

Cool n quiet and c1e are both disabled

windows power set to performance.

my cpu voltage is still set on auto. i tried turning it up manually but it wont boot up oh and prime95 crashes after about 10 min

Last edited:
Cool n quiet and c1e are both disabled

windows power set to performance.

my cpu voltage is still set on auto. i tried turning it up manually but it wont boot up oh and prime95 crashes after about 10 min

You sure need to increase your voltage for that CPU to get it more stable and run Prime95. have you checked what is the stock voltage is/was?

Actual page number in manual from page 80 to 86 are the only places where you can change
cpu Vcore and Ram voltage and turn off CoolNQuiet. The manual calls that Section #4 of the manual.

i dont know what the stock was...it has always been set at auto.
i dont have the manual on the chip as i bought it used from a guy that wanted to clock it at 3.8ghz but needed money instead so i got the chip and mobo for $100.

where do i need to set the voltage at? i turned it up to 1.350 and the temps went up rather fast so i set it back to auto...

with all settings set back to default and i run amd overdrive all it will overclock it to is 2800mhz and id like atleast 3 out of it safely and stable

Back