• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible bad PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joedymueller

hey all,

I put this here to start, because i think it might be my issue.

have a GTX-570 video card giving random driver crashes, sometimes during games sometimes while just sitting at the desktop. cant seem to pin-point what could be causing it. This card is the DCII, so i dont think heat is the issue, as it doesnt get hot at all. The CPU also does not get very hot.

did all the normal triage. (drivers and such)

it started on my i7 x58 machine (machine in sig) and i upgraded to the i7 2500k the only thing that stayed the same was the PSU and video card.

I have since sent the video card back to ASUS for RMA. and they can not reproduce the issue on there end.

I am currently using a GTX 480 and for a good month, I saw no issues at all. starting a few days ago, the 480 has started to do the same thing. it happens 100% of the time when i play Sniper Elite. and will random driver crash at the desktop.

i re-installed windows and Nvidia drivers again and it still happens.

i also used different power connectors on my corsair 1000 watt PSU (PSU in sig).

Any ideas? i don't know how to check voltages on the PSU.

I am thinking about getting anther PSU and testing it that way.

Thanks,

Joedy

Last edited:
I would be very surprised if it was the PSU.
Does it happen when you play any other games?

yep happens with any game. Sniper is all i have installed right now though.

it happened with bf3 and ever Roller Coaster Tycoon 3.

its was random with those games. just with sniper its every time.

Grab yourself a digital voltmeter and plug it into a Molex, black DMM wire to black Molex wire, red DMM wire to yellow Molex wire.
You should have 12v +/- 5%.
Run the game, you should still have 12v +/- 5%.

I would like to add random freezing as well. complete freezing. i have to reset and start over freezing..

hehe and i dont have colors on my molex connectors there all black.

______

Tested with one of the extra connectors for video. black and yellow. and an extra molex with the 4 pins

the video has 15V and the molem had 14. started sniper and it stayed at 14 until it crashed then went to 15

____

another test after reboot and the 4 ping molex is at 16V

Last edited:
16v is far too high.
Time for an RMA.

Do you have another PSU you can test? Just to make sure the DMM isn't completely out to lunch.
Alternatively, test a AA battery, should be 1.5 to 1.6v brand new.

ugg just ran out of batteries..

_____

got new batteries, and 4 pin and video molex are both 12 :-/

what else could it be !:shrug:

_____

i give up. just played crysis 2 for about an hour. not sure whats causing issues. im guessing sniper is garbage?

Last edited:
Back