• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help!!! P4 2.26GHz overclock problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spit

Registered
Just got my new system:
P4 2.26.ghz
Abit BD7II Raid
2x 256Mb Samsung PC2700 Ram
Coolermaster Copper Heatsink
Geforce 4 4600
Audigy

The PC wont overclock above 2.4GHz!!! it posts right upto 2.9GHz but after it detects the raid array i have and its waiting for the WinXP screen(first dos one) it freezes. The temps are low. Thought this would do at least 2.8GHz no probs. At default clock it is completely stable. I have tried increased voltages etc. I have not put a bios on yet, it still has the one it came with on.

Much appreciate any help. I defected from AMD today and am disappointed so far.

Thanks

Yeah!

Problem solved :D

The PCI bus setting needs to be at 37MHz fixed for sum reason.
If it is set at 33MHz fixed i get the above problems, weird.

Running happy at 2.9GHz, lovely

Thanks

Running happy at 2.9GHz, lovely

Might I ask What is stopping you from getting more than 2.9?
Was wondering if it was heat or something else.

The PC wont even come on at 3GHz. The max voltage without the Volt Mod on this board is 1.65, which im running at. So it could be a cpu voltage issue. I am running a 550w power supply.

Any ideas as how to get to 3GHz would be appreciated.

Runs rock steady at 2.9GHz.

Maybe it needs burning in as its only been running a couple of hours.

Glad i defected from AMD, i was disappointed by the thoroughbred core so thats why i changed. No looking back now ;)

Ps. I thought that you could run the RAM faster than the FSB on this board but the only options i have are for 1:1 or 4:3

Thanks everybody

Yeah, definitely need more voltage. But, first make sure the CPU load temps are under control before doing a voltage mod. I wrote a sticky post that explains the VID pin wire wrap. I think there might be a Mr. Natural's modified BIOS that might have increased voltage settings too. Check in the Abit Intel Motherboard section.

Thanks, I think ur right. I will look into volt moding the chip. 3GHz just sounds so much better hehe

Cant believe how much quicker this machine is than my old XP 1900+

Played morrowind for a couple of hours, lovely and smooth. Was jerky on my other system with everything maxed out at 1280x964

Spit said:
seems to do the business tho.

testing continues.....

Let me know how you fare. I'd love to see/compare some benches with you if you don't mind. As we both have the same chip and vid-card it would be interesting to compare DDR/RD extreme fsb efforts IMO. Btw my chips pack date is 05/08/02 as well :D This is my best effort so far:

Spit

I have the same mb & chip coming soon. I went with the Swifty MCX462U & Corsair PC3200 256mb one stick

I will do the chip pin wrap as soon as I get it

Would you be so kind as to tell me what bios settings you used to get to 2.9?

voltage core
voltage memory
fsb
pci bus divider
memory timings
cpu memory divider
enhanced dram performance - on or off

And any other important setting which may help

Thanks in advance

Back