• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1333 instead of 1600?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lamster

Registered
I purchase the corsair vengeance 8gb 1600. I placed it in the ram slot, separating each other ( Empty, Ram, Empty, Ram). When I go into the bios it says 1333 instead of 1600. How do i change it without messing with the voltage or stuff like that. I got the ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS.
Also my computer would freeze at times for a few seconds. I'm able to move my mouse but programs would having the loading icon. I used memtest86 and receive errors, could my ram be why i'm lagging?

well first off set your timings to what they the ram is stated as using on the package i wont get into the details on how to its all over these forums and google.

as far as memtest giving errors thats not a good sign for your ram, make sure its all seated properly in the ram slots and that the clips are all the way closed onto the sides so you know they are in all the way,after doing both checking them and setting the timings run memtest again and let us know if your still getting errors:)

should the ram be
separated:
(empty, ram, empty ram)
or
(ram, empty, ram, empty)
or together?
(ram,ram,empty empty)

there should be a space between modules, so it can be either
(empty, ram, empty ram) or
(ram, empty, ram, empty), doesn't really matter. They can't be stick together. Also make sure that in BIOS you set the ram speed to 1600, no Default. My mobo also sets RAM to 1333 when i clear cmos

-------
if you get errors in memtest, bad thing, probably RAM sticks or motherboard slots

How do i change it without messing with the voltage or stuff like that.

That's your biggest problem right there. Unless your board can take advantage of the RAM's XMP profile (not sure on that one, but doubtful), you need to manually set your memory's voltage, speed and timings. Indeed, even on boards that have XMP ability, I still manually set it because XMP profiles can have issues (one of the kits I have sets the wrong timings).

The RAM voltage should be in the same menu as the one you set your memory speed to DDR3-1600, so both should be able to be set without digging into sub-menus. Timings will be a sub-menu. You'll need to manually set those to whatever your kit is rated for.

I have the same motherboard he can set it to dohcp or whatever it is on the auto clock tuner and it will have the XMP profiles I believe. Just go to your Dram Timings and set it the first 4 slots as follows

9-9-9-24 and the last option at 2T. You might have it at 1T and I have found that it can throw errors sometimes on Memtest or Prime95 since 1T can be unstable. I have the same ram and mobo. I havent been able to set it any lower then 9-8-8-24-2T when tightening my timings. Your Ram should work at 1600 MHz with the stock voltage if it doesnt try uping the Dram voltage to 1.525 or 1.55. Try 1.55 then work your way down.

On the M5a97 it starts it at 1333 Mhz Freq so you have to put it at 1600 your self. Just make sure you set the timings and raise your voltage to 1.52-1.55. Otherwise you will be stuck at 1333 if you dont want to raise your voltage. I dont have to raise my voltage for my ram to be at 1600 though you might of just gotten a not so good pair. I can run mine at stock voltages but I cant get it to 1866 or tighten my timings too well but I am happy that I dont have sticks that cant run on stock voltages at 1600.

Back