• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1600+ stuck at 6.5 mult!! help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R.Rabbit

a while back i unlocked my axp 1600+ and it all worked fine till i pushed the fsb a little to far (206 at stock vdd) so i flashed to the newest bios and i noteiced my mult was stuck at 6.5! so i scraped off the cinductive stuff from my chip but its still stuck at 6.5mult so i flashed the bios again but its still stuck! wtf is going on!:confused:

You flashed when you were at 206 fsb?! If so that is not GOOD.

Are you sure you cleaned it good using isopropyl or something like that?

to me it sounds like some conductive material migh be in some pits. i doubt it, but i would get a soft cloth, and use a lot of alcohol, and hold it on the oits, and wash them, with the chip upside-down, so, anything that does get dissolved, will tend to fall to the cloth.

and also, i have heard of people semi-frying a chip, where it will be permanetly limited to certain multi's. i had an unlock go bad, and some multi's would actually boot as the wrong multiplier. i'd set 9, and get 11.5. but after washing it off, it was back to the stock 10.5
good luck, but it might be a gonner.....;)

Pookey said:
You flashed when you were at 206 fsb?! If so that is not GOOD.

Are you sure you cleaned it good using isopropyl or something like that?
no i didnt flash at 206fsb, that would be pc suicide.
when i unlocked it, i would set the mult to 10, but it would boot with a mult of 9 so maybe i did semi-fry the chip

I dont think the cpu is semi fried I think its a case of you having a partial unlock - if you clean the whole thing thoroughly including the pits you should be OK.

ok i cleaned the crap out of it but its still locked, this sucks:(
i did the unlocking mod where you stick a wire in the socket but it still doesnt work

What unlocking wire mod are you referring to? - I am not aware of any such for a XP1600 palomino (the only wire mod I know of for the pally is for the XP2100 to get access to the lower multis). Also when you say locked do you mean it is still at 6.5?

If someone knows of a real way to unlock the lower multi's on the Pally by putting wire in the socket, I'd be interested in knowing this myself. I screwed up the unlock on my long, long ago, and have been stuck at the default 11.5x since.

Wouldn't mind being able to drop the multi down and try for 166... ;)

B.

Mr B said:
If someone knows of a real way to unlock the lower multi's on the Pally by putting wire in the socket, I'd be interested in knowing this myself. I screwed up the unlock on my long, long ago, and have been stuck at the default 11.5x since.

Wouldn't mind being able to drop the multi down and try for 166... ;)

B.

that's funny. i tried to do the wire mod on a pally xp2100, but i used conductive paint instead, and it didn't work for me, but after cleaning the chip, the default was correct so, mine wasn't damaged from a bad unlock. you guys are reporting your chips being stuck at a different multiplier than it's original default, which makes me think the chips have something fried in them, but just making some multipliers damaged, and not the one you're stuck at. the pally xp1600's are selling like crazy lately because everyone is dumping them for the t-bred xp2100's....like i did. well, actually, i kept my xp1600's, and sold the pally xp2100, and bought the t-bred xp2100.

just my thoughts.......:)

Actually, my chip is screwed Royally (by me, no less...LOL).

I got my XP1800+ the day after they were released by AMD, and way back when in Oct. '01, the unlocking methods were in their infancy for the Pallys.

It was rumored that the contacts for the L1's were buried just under the chip's substrate, and very lightly sanding the area around the L1's would uncover them, to allow unlocking.

It doesn't take much "sanding", even with 1500 grit wet/dry automotive type paper, to get down to copper. Between the contacts. :( :rolleyes: Not much at all.

I did, get some of the multi's to work. Odd numbers only. Not one single even numbered, whether a round number, or a .5x setting, will boot.

My chip has run 1702 MHz since I got it. 11.5 x 148.

Using the Odd multi's (all I can work with);

9 x 166; 1494MHz. Underclocked.

9.5 x 166; 1577MHz. 44MHz over default, but a far shot from 1.7GHz.

11 x 166; 1826MHz. Outside the range the chip will run at. :(

If I had the 10"s or 12's to work with, by putting wire in the socket, I might be able to do something...

10.5 x 166; 1748MHz. This chip will run 1725, sometimes 1750 on a really good day. I might see this happen.

12.5 x 140(ish); 1750MHz. Again, right in the chip's "wheelhouse". This would also bring the bus closer to in spec than the 148 I run now... Not that it's ever been a problem at 148-150, but I like to keep it as close to in spec as possible.

B.

R.Rabbit said:
yep its still locked at 6.5, over at 8rdafaq.com it shows the wire mod and says it will unlock any socket A chip
Yes as already stated this wire mod is not suitable for your XP1600 it is only relevant to chips where the default multi has the 8x bit set to high and modding it sets the 8x to low (default multi of at least 13). It is not just for Tbred's however - the pally XP2100 can benefit but needs the L1 manually closed as well - Tbreds already have the L1's closed.

well it didnt fux it anymore than it is already, i really whant to get a barton 2500+ they may cost more than the 2100+'s but they kick *** already while they're still in their infancy, but on the other hand i want to get raid adn it'll cost almost exactly the same! i need to get a job

Back