• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 Core Phenom is real

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i couldn't agree with you more man, intel is long past even thinking of a tri core processor... hell they were probably laughing their asses off when they heard amd announce they were makeing TRI cores...

i could see it now
Intel exec - hey guys you hear that amd is going to be making tri cores
Intel employee - wow they are going to come out with quad cores
exec - no tri core
employee - haha dude thats a great joke
exec - its not
LAUGHS ALL ROUND lol.

and who cares if intels quads arnt "TRUE" quads, they still outpreforme the competition...

sorry amd fanboys but its the truth, and the truth hurts sometimes. :bang head

although i still have a place in my heart for the 939 socket, that socket was kick ***

while yes this is true intels stuff is faster, AMD chips are more advanced, if intel still relies on the north bridge for communication there screwed. as amd continues, i see the future complete removing of the north bridge.
more stuff integrated into the cpu the faster it can communicate.
intel combats AMD quick communication with large cashe and a fast north bridge.

It could be also said Intel combats AMD with more advanced manufacturing which
Intel comes out with a a new arch with IMC, and a tweaked HT add the bigger cache and 45 to it and that's something to look forward to, so they do not seem to be screwed but well at least savage is not alone.

I went to an Intel fab for the fastest cpu and all i got was this Barcelona Tshirt.

LOL!! I'm rooting for AMD as well... I'm afraid that Intel is going to get lazy again and rest on its laurels, just like it did with the netburst architecture. I think that the tricores will fit a perfect niche in the HTPC market and the low end server market. Lets hope that they overclock well though! :D

Actually when in august it became obvious K10 gonna be late they said oh well we could delay penryn in an interview to INQ so they do not even want to hide what happens if AMD goes down.
Not mentioning being lazy is half of the problem, check the newest Xtreme prices, 50% up compared to previous models as those procs have no competition, unfortunately the whole problem at the moment seems to be that AMD did the same and tried to milk K8 till kingdom come.

Actually when in august it became obvious K10 gonna be late they said oh well we could delay penryn in an interview to INQ so they do not even want to hide what happens if AMD goes down.
Not mentioning being lazy is half of the problem, check the newest Xtreme prices, 50% up compared to previous models as those procs have no competition, unfortunately the whole problem at the moment seems to be that AMD did the same and tried to milk K8 till kingdom come.

I don't think AMD intentionally tried to hold on to k8 (milk it dry) but if you remember the K9 was supposed to be released along with 65nm. Intel released the Meroms and AMD knew they would not have a good competitor so it made more sense to drop K9 and move to K10. During that time DDR2 and 65nm were important. 90nm K8 Opterons were bringing in the major capitol with desktop K8s brining in extra. Going to AM2 was ready so it was just a module change and a few tweeks to get a DDR2 version of K8 on the floor. AMD was also starting up the new FAB meant for 65 and 45nm. 65nm turned out to be a problem (no 65nm Opterons until Barcelona). Brisbane is a great CPU as we have all seen but the power envelope has been a problem to clock above 2.4G. We now have the BBox edition but look at the TDP. With all that said, I don't see a lot of idle time but an engineering issue. Intel had the bandwidth to produce a new series but chose to shoot for speed over efficiency which is where AMD was wiping the floor with them. If AMD had Intels capitol, I'm sure you would already see AM3 DDR3 supporting CPUs on the market today. It might be some of AMDs K8 milking that made Skt939 so great. The Hammers are great but it was the Venice, Sandy and Denmarks that rocked.

Last edited:
I'm sure you would already see AM3 DDR3 supporting CPUs on the market today. It might be some of AMDs K8 milking that made Skt939 so great. The Hammers were great but it was the Venice, Sandy and Denmarks that rocked.

They still are great cpus!! Sorry.. just had to say it.. Don't beat be too hard please :(

while yes this is true intels stuff is faster, AMD chips are more advanced, if intel still relies on the north bridge for communication there screwed. as amd continues, i see the future complete removing of the north bridge.
more stuff integrated into the cpu the faster it can communicate.
intel combats AMD quick communication with large cashe and a fast north bridge.

ok yes you could say amd is "more advanced" but if im not mistaken, the nehelam is slated to have an IMC... and i think that will be what late 08 - 2h 09...

I mean honestly you cant say that intels front side buss and MCH have been bad at all, they are just sticking with what works.

But again GO AMD, wake up so you can kick intel so they make even faster chips hahha.

I wouldn't start "burning" north bridges yet. It still serves the purpose of channeling data to IO. In pre-IMC CPUs also gets the RAM dataload. In the end both will end up with high speed IO channels. What sucks is Intel is going on reinventing wheels with CSI instead of adopting to a standard HT. This will keep mobos complex by requiring special chips to integrate to IO. HT Video cards (if they existed) could plug directly into the HT bus. With 2 bus structures we will continue to have PCI-E,AGP etc.

HT Video cards (if they existed) could plug directly into the HT bus. With 2 bus structures we will continue to have PCI-E,AGP etc.
One has to wonder, now that ATI = AMD, if they may not go ahead and offer a direct HT Link option on vid cards. ;) If so, they could kill two birds with one stone. nVidia would almost be forced to follow suit and Intel wouldn't have any way to connect into it ...

One has to wonder, now that ATI = AMD, if they may not go ahead and offer a direct HT Link option on vid cards. ;) If so, they could kill two birds with one stone. nVidia would almost be forced to follow suit and Intel wouldn't have any way to connect into it ...

Intel's quickpath does that, any device can connect to it via a CSI port.
I doubt fans will be happy if they are locked to buy only one brand of VGA which stands for both companies.

I don't think AMD intentionally tried to hold on to k8 (milk it dry) but if you remember the K9 was supposed to be released along with 65nm. Intel released the Meroms and AMD knew they would not have a good competitor so it made more sense to drop K9 and move to K10. During that time DDR2 and 65nm were important. 90nm K8 Opterons were bringing in the major capitol with desktop K8s brining in extra. Going to AM2 was ready so it was just a module change and a few tweeks to get a DDR2 version of K8 on the floor. AMD was also starting up the new FAB meant for 65 and 45nm. 65nm turned out to be a problem (no 65nm Opterons until Barcelona). Brisbane is a great CPU as we have all seen but the power envelope has been a problem to clock above 2.4G. We now have the BBox edition but look at the TDP. With all that said, I don't see a lot of idle time but an engineering issue. Intel had the bandwidth to produce a new series but chose to shoot for speed over efficiency which is where AMD was wiping the floor with them. If AMD had Intels capitol, I'm sure you would already see AM3 DDR3 supporting CPUs on the market today.

When things go wrong all communication is cut from AMD (ask the channel about Barcs), and then everybody who ever talked with someone at AMD begins to make news and with all the FUD we will never know what exactly happened.
Some even claim that even K10 isn't what it was supposed to be and I wouldn't be surprised if that were also true, check the improvements of K10 and the development time, wouldn't be so surprised if they simply decided to take the Intel approach and slowly with frequent fixes improve K8.
They decided to dump 65nm K8 and move in to K10 while the tables turned and they were the ones on the floor but this still didn't solve the leakage problems what the K10 TDP, and the delays show.
The new test archs usually fail relatively at early stages on simulators that's why I blame AMD and they knew about 65nm leakage from early test samples check back almost a year before Prescott Taiwan reprted really hot procs at low speeds, AMD was aware of the 65nm problems well before C2D.
K8 was just fixed over the years AMD had plenty of time to deliver something.

Then I am really glad AMD does not have Intel's capital if it would mean DDR3 today, I am happy with DDR2 prices and performance no thanks to DDR3 for quite some time, don't want another S939.

To follow up on my post.

This is a month old but explains possible reasons for three core. Makes sense to me. Even if it won't fly off the shelves its something that Intel cannot do at this point.

some of those intel guys don't realize is that amd will always have the advantage, unless intel buys nvidia (doubt it) or enters in the high end gpu market, amd has access to tech that will sooner then later will be running in the tear flops region, if they can use that tech to create a cpu, AMD will be on top for a while again.

Intel's Larrabee seems to be what you are writing about, will be great to see a third player in the highend GPU market, if only NV would have what it takes to make processors.

Back