• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4 or 8 pin?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scoobydoo

started a new build with a asus crosshair iv formula, the motherboard has an 8pin power adaper by the cpu socket with 4 pins covered and my power supply(corsair cmpsu-400cx) has dual 4 pin power adapters on it

i havent built anything with this setup before so want to make sure, should i use both 4pins together or just one?

thanks

If your power supply has an 8 pin cable, I would suggest using that. It just gives more wattage for the processor and may increase stability, but I'm not sure the latter.

If your power supply has an 8 pin cable, I would suggest using that. It just gives more wattage for the processor and may increase stability, but I'm not sure the latter.

the power supply doesn't have any 8 pin, just two 4 pins on the same sleeved cable

i am guessing i just take off the cover on the mobo and use both, but i want to make sure before i do that

The 2 x 4-pin PSU connectors = 1 x 8-pin connector, so yes... plug them both in.

gotcha, just had to make sure before i fried something

this is my first "true" build in a while. i have been building barebones and self powered mini itx system for the last few years and am way behind the times

thanks

Back