• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8320 stuck at 4.3ghz (Sabertooth)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adambeau

Registered
So I saw the 8320 on sale for $150 and I figured at that price it was time to upgrade from my 1045t. I am using a 990 fx Asus Sabertooth with it's ultra friendly bios.

Basically I slowly jacked up the multiplier and ran prime each time but once i get to 4.4 ghz prime crashes instantly or almost instantly. With my cpu @4.3ghz and my ram set at 1866mhz prime runs for hours no problem with max coretemps around 43-44c. Everything is currently set to auto and the usual stuff is turned off (C1E, C6, Cool n quiet, Turbo, and High performance mode enabled)

So normally I would start raising the voltage (currently at 1.45v) but no matter what I put in it seems to the be the most unstable overclock ever.

I have not messed with the NB at all I just set it to auto and it runs at 2200mhz.

The entire build should be in my signature, I'm really looking for someone who knows the Sabertooth bios fairly well because a few of the options on the main overclocking screen are confusing me. LLC for instance i leave at regular because that is what it sets it to automatically.

What am I missing?

In the end that thread agreed with everything I've said/done so far literally the only differnce in what ive done is that it just suggests after the multiplier has reached it max to raise the FSB.

But his bios is completely different and hes using an older cpu. Looking for someone with experience with the sabertooth bios/piledriver cpus not just experience in general. Thanks for the try though.

edit: It is a great guide but I've read a few similar ones before. This is my second true overclock as my first was on my 1045t which i had running at 3510mhz (and that was from jacking the FSB not the multiplier.) Just thought I would get more than an 800mhz overclock with the new PD cpus... Seeing as others have it at 5ghz.

Ok I had no idea you had read it already. :thup:
My mobo has the UEFI bios and I've seen screen shots of the Crosshair and they are very similar.
Every chip is different not all of them will hit the high numbers. Mine for instance has a weak core which I've singled out through hours of fiddling with my chip. :bang head
The LLC is load line calibration. It will help keep the voltage steady. You will need to bump that up the higher you go.
If I were you I would drop the multi back and start raising the HT. Mine's at 250.
If you really want to achieve an OC of around 5G alot of your settings will have to done manually not left on auto.

Vishera CPUs unlike most CPUs that like voltage NEED high volts. The partially implemented "Resonant Clock Mesh" using "Cyclos Inductors" have to maintain a constant charge or the CPU literally will fail to transfer data from one batch of transistors to the next. However these inductors reduce waste heat(not eliminate it) from balancing transistors which results is a cooler CPU at a given voltage VS the BD chips.

I dont know what you have your LLC set to but you want probably close to 1.47v at a full 8 core load to be safe if 1.45 isnt working. However, without knowing what your temps look like it could very well be sufficient volts but core temps going too high.

For us to better assist you please post a screenshot with CPUz CPU, Memory, and SPD tabs, along with HWMonitor with log from desktop idle to 15 mins load at whatever speed you can get stable enough to run 15 mins of P95.

I will post screenshots tonight when I get home from work with all the info that was requested. After that I will also try increasing my HT link a bit since I have not fiddled with that yet.

I have LLC set to "Regular" in the bios which is the lowest option so maybe I should try something different.

I understand to get to 5 ghz most options will be on manual I just don't like messing with settings I don't fully understand and it seems every BIOS is a little bit different and uses slightly different terminology.

Thanks for both your replies and I will get back to you with the required information/screenshots.

Thanks Ajay57, that is a great thread. I will still post an update as soon as I can but that post gave me a few ideas =).

Your welcome that's what OCF is all about helping people. AJ.

P.S. Don't forget the screenshots for ssjwizard!

I have LLC set to "Regular" in the bios which is the lowest option so maybe I should try something different.

I just helped out a guy earlier this week who was overclocking an Vishera/Piledriver CPU. His computer was not Prime95 stable and what fixed it was turning his LLC up to the highest setting. As soon as he did that he stopped getting errors in Prime95.

Another thing to try if you haven't done it yet is to drop your RAM multiplier and have your RAM run at 1600MHz instead of 1866MHz while you're working on finding the max multiplier your CPU will run on.

I have the same setup as you do
Getting to around 4.2 to 4.3 is pretty easy but after that you really have to go and set everything yourself
The bios are pretty good to use and the board is top notch
You will need to set the llc to high or maybe the the next highest setting
I am at 1.366 @ 4.3 llc set to high

LLC will probably be one of the first things I experiment with but I'll let you guys take a look at these screenshots first before I mess with anything else. I did this at 4.2 but I get the same results at 4.3 I just forgot to change it.

Edit: let me know if I should repost these one at a time because I can BARELY read them.

Attachments

• Desktop_2013_01_16_18_50_41_939.jpg
    Desktop_2013_01_16_18_50_41_939.jpg
    573.6 KB · Views: 1,292
  • Desktop_2013_01_16_18_50_48_687.jpg
    Desktop_2013_01_16_18_50_48_687.jpg
    565.8 KB · Views: 1,281
  • Desktop_2013_01_16_18_50_45_360.jpg
    Desktop_2013_01_16_18_50_45_360.jpg
    553.8 KB · Views: 1,271
Last edited:
You need to update the CPUz program. The one you are using is sort of dated. Visehera shows as Zambezi and nothing showing in the Rated FSB block of the cpu tab.

Your ram timings are off
Need to be 9 10 9 28 37 1T I have the same ram
I almost will bet you could drop the Vcore down to 1.375 to 1.380

I will update my cpu-z, I haven't done that in a long time. I will switch the timings as well but as someone had suggested before I may bring it back down to 1600 mhz when I start to increase my overclock.

Here are some shots of mine at 4.2Ghz
I have ram set to 1600 mhz & the HT and cpu-NB 2000mhz
18x & 235 FSB
The only thing holding me from more is temps at 2 hour runs
These are 4 hour runs
4.2 HW.PNG

4.2 cpu.PNG

4.2 mem.PNG

4.2 spd.PNG

I am going W/C so that should help get me higher but really 4.2 seems to be the sweet spot :thup:

Thanks mtdewcowboy I really like your system! (as we have pretty much the same one.)
and was wondering if you could possibly post a couple screens of what your sabertooth bios looks like? Just to compare a few of the things that I've been wondering about and I am pretty sure you can hit F12 and it takes a screen shot.

Fiddled a little bit last night with it and will do more today and post when I have some results of significance.

Actually "adambeau" it would be better if you posted your bios screen-shots, then we all could look and see what you have set. We often capture a single screen shot from a bios of the offending motherboard and highlight the changes needed and then REpost the pic.
RGone...

Actually "adambeau" it would be better if you posted your bios screen-shots, then we all could look and see what you have set. We often capture a single screen shot from a bios of the offending motherboard and highlight the changes needed and then REpost the pic.
RGone...

RGone is a great person to work with I have picked up so much from him others too like ssjwizard was abig help
Take their advice and they will steer you in the right direction

Ok so after thinking I may have killed my PC earlier today here are the results from my recent testing with all pertinent screenshots.

I tried a few different things like turning up FSB, making voltages manual and turning them up between 1.45 and 1.475, turned up the HT link speed for a bit too. None of these really seemed to help I could get anything to run stable on prime above 4.4ghz.

edit: It will not let me post my bios settings as it says they are 2.25 mb and the forum only allows 2 mb files. Strange cause I've seen them here before. =/

Last edited:
Back