• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8320fx overclock revisited

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mtdewcowboy

I have been away for awhile but now getting back into it
My rig is in my sig
I can get 4.3ghz no problem 24/7 running temps
I would like to see if I can go more on air
If I was to change my heatsink from blowing down on the chip to pulling away to sidedoor fan would it help?

I have 2 120mm front fans Intake
I have 1 120mm side door Intake
I have 1 120mm rear fan Exhaust
I have 2 fans on top 1 140mm and 1 120mm both Exhaust

As a single change, I doubt that would help.

However, if you want to try something different, try swapping the intakes and exhausts as well. By doing this, you will have the rear and top fans blowing air through the heatsink. The CPU's fan is of course pulling air though, and exhausting through the side panel.

Speaking of temps, what are your temps like? If you run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes, what are your Package and CPU socket temps like?

You're already getting close to your limits IMO.
Anytime I've seen these coolers they always blow down toward the board. I'm just curious if it would make a difference with the side door off. It's a quick way to tell if you have your air moving right through your case.

I think I just need to go water cooled
I have good flow through the case even removed hdd cages
At 4.3Ghz temps are good 58 & 49

^Yep.

Go for a custom loop with a 360 rad for the CPU only: less noise.
An AIO won't be enough of an improvement...

I was able to take my 8120 to 5GHz under water, when 4.5 was the very max on air.

Just Thinking Outloud...

Often a gazillion fans makes my vision blurred trying to follow what actual air-flow thru a case might really look like. I inserted an image below about my wonderment.

CrapOla. I forgot to edit into the picture some location of a video card, so don't forget it when thinking on air flow pattern.
RGone...

1Rosewill Gaming Case.jpg

That's my thought as well that's why I suggested the open dorr test.

Ok pulled side door & @ 4.385Ghz in 6 mins of Prime temps got to 62 & 58 before I stopped it
Running 1.380 Vcore
As you can see I can run low Vcore on this chip but the heat is my hold back due to cooling
The sidedoor fan sits below the HSF and blows mostly on video card & lower cages are removed.

Well I gues that didn't work. Is it easy to flip the fan on the side door around so it pulls warm air out from the GFX cards. And Maybe take one of your top exhaust fans and put it in the bottom of the case as intake. I still think there may be some improvements if the airflow is improved. I have spent a lot of time experimenting with such things in the past and it pays off. I'll calculate the CFM in and out to create a slightly positive atmosphere in the the box. It's easier to push fresh air in with an intake fan than to "suck" air in with an Exhaust. If you know what I mean.

For me I think im at my max on air and not worth spending money on another air cooler just to gain .2 or .3 overclock when i could put that money towards a wc setup
We all know the quest for more speed will not stop at 4.5Ghz and air wont cut it above that
Time to learn wc and get things rolling in the right direction

We all know the quest for more speed will not stop at 4.5Ghz and air wont cut it above that
Time to learn wc and get things rolling in the right direction

Man you said in another thread that you had been learning about your rig. I see from what you wrote that you have actually been paying a heck of a lot of attention.

IF you are going to look and learn about watercooling in the W/C section of OCF...make real sure you know what is written in the stickies before posting any questions. They can be very regimented over there in that forum section. I don't really blame them either since most of us type the same thing over and over in this forum section but over there they don't do it. Hehehe. Just a FYI. They have some sharp dudes over there but do you homework before just asking away with the questions.

Heck we can take a thread in here and give you a hand. No problem really. Just need to know where you live or can buy from and go from there.
RGone...ster.

Update

Ok I tried something
I took the stock fan that came with the FX8320 and mounted it behind the mb blowing on it & reversed the fan on the side door to exhaust instead of intake
Here are the results after 2 hrs of Prime no errors
But I'm still going WC :attn:

Attachments

• Fan change.JPG
    Fan change.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 248
  • Fan change1.JPG
    Fan change1.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 232
  • Fan change2.JPG
    Fan change2.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 217
That's not bad but you'll at minimum want to get a 3x120 rad. I'm not a WC Guru but we have them here just do your homework and some reading before you post in the WC section asking for help. Connundrum pfrefers if people have done the basic research first. Otherwise he might get a bit snarky with ya.
Even a better air cooler would help. The socket temp is down now just the CORE.

My case is not very wc friendly
Biggest it will fit is a 2x120 with mods and i dont think that will help temps much
I am leaning towards a 3x140 mounted outside on the left side
Right now im even thinking of going and replacing all case fans with nocturnal fans and adding maybe 2 more 120's
D14 & C14 coolers rank about the same in all tests so no gain there
Just want to know how much of a gain will wc give compared to air

Just want to know how much of a gain will wc give compared to air

W/C probably about 400Mhz better cpu clock and still be "stable".

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724953&page=11
Midway of that page you can see I had a tough time being cool enough to pass 2 hours of P95 Blend mode @4.8Ghz. ON my water rig I ran 5.2Ghz for 2 hours P95 Blend stable. Of course that was me. Your results could be very different as nearly every setup performs somewhat the same but different as well. That is why a question like how much more can I get with X than Y is almost always a guess for somone else. I do know what the difference is for me though.
RGone...

Back