• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8350 Socket Temps.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
And I actually have a feeling it is that quiet time alone at your keboard with your bios and some benches that is the making of an overclockER. There is no way to learn the things we often speak to without staying at the grindstone of bios and bench and log result.

And once the principles of overclocking are learned...they work for ANY cpu and mobo made in the last 6 years for sure. PROvided the mobo is not too dang entry level. In short, raise cpu speed and add cpu voltage as needed to make stable and keeping a keen eye to the temps. It is really just that all along. Other adjustments are helpful but for just flatout overclocking the cpu it never really changes that much.
RGone...ster.

And I actually have a feeling it is that quiet time alone at your keboard with your bios and some benches that is the making of an overclockER. There is no way to learn the things we often speak to without staying at the grindstone of bios and bench and log result.

+1,:thup: The only boring thing is waiting for all the reboots.

As a new member to these boards, I'd like to say a Hello to everyone. I'd also like to say that I've found more quality info in this thread than allllll the threads on all the forums I already visit.

I'm fairly interested in this thread because I too picked up an FX processor and was floored when I saw such a huge difference in socket temps coming from my old 1090T. Now I am using a small, modified DRAM cooler to spot cool the VRMs on my M5A990X EVO R2.0 board, but it's horrible / badly aligned because it hardly makes a difference. I haven't had time to find a way to mount a fan on the back of the socket so I'm anxious to see if it's worth the effort!

Welcome artielange. A small 50mm chiset fan should fit back there i just used 2 sided tape. It really helps. The temps are up on that board since it has a 6+2 power phase VRM and is struggling to feed that 8 core processor.

Capturefan.PNG

As a new member to these boards, I'd like to say a Hello to everyone. I'd also like to say that I've found more quality info in this thread than allllll the threads on all the forums I already visit.

I'm fairly interested in this thread because I too picked up an FX processor and was floored when I saw such a huge difference in socket temps coming from my old 1090T. Now I am using a small, modified DRAM cooler to spot cool the VRMs on my M5A990X EVO R2.0 board, but it's horrible / badly aligned because it hardly makes a difference. I haven't had time to find a way to mount a fan on the back of the socket so I'm anxious to see if it's worth the effort!
Artielange welcome to the forum, I'm glad you found something that was helpful in this thread. The idea of putting the ram cooler on the vrm's was a good idea. One of our members mounted the fan on the backside of the motherboard using double sided tape. I personally just cut a hole in my motherboard tray and side panel and mounted a 120mm fan back there, as Rgone would say strokes folks!

There is a pretty good group of people on this forum and all are very willing to help with their knowledge. There is also a bunch of us that clock the wee out of these Fx Cpu's and know them very well in and out. There are a couple of other threads that may be of interest to you.
This is a very good writeup and testing done by Rgone, the info in it is invaluable.
Another really good thread is this one, it is more a place where we just post random information. Some is nonsense but some of it is very useful and most of it pertains to the AMD cpu's.

EDIT: Damn I type to slow Johan.

Hi Welcome, As Mandrake said there are great people here that are eager to jump in with help on whatever you need. What do you have in the way of fans in your case now? I mounted two 2" fans in my case to help bring down my socket temps. One on the rear of the socket (Johan's idea) & one just below the VRM heatsink. ( also with double sided tape) Those two fans brought down my socket temps. by about 5C on average. Are you planning on overclocking?
Dan

Welcome artielange. A small 50mm chiset fan should fit back there i just used 2 sided tape. It really helps. The temps are up on that board since it has a 6+2 power phase VRM and is struggling to feed that 8 core processor.

Artielange welcome to the forum, I'm glad you found something that was helpful in this thread. The idea of putting the ram cooler on the vrm's was a good idea. One of our members mounted the fan on the backside of the motherboard using double sided tape. I personally just cut a hole in my motherboard tray and side panel and mounted a 120mm fan back there, as Rgone would say strokes folks!

There is a pretty good group of people on this forum and all are very willing to help with their knowledge. There is also a bunch of us that clock the wee out of these Fx Cpu's and know them very well in and out. There are a couple of other threads that may be of interest to you.
This is a very good writeup and testing done by Rgone, the info in it is invaluable.
Another really good thread is this one, it is more a place where we just post random information. Some is nonsense but some of it is very useful and most of it pertains to the AMD cpu's.

EDIT: Damn I type to slow Johan.

Thank you very much for the excellent resources. Also, thanks Rgone for the epic research. I read through the first two pages of the thread and I'll continue later on this afternoon if work is slow :)

What I did : I kept a tiny CPU fan attached to the VRM heatsinks and part of my CPU block. I'd like to show you but I have no pictures lol (also I'm afraid of being ridiculed for using steel clamps to secure my tubing, I had no proper clamps at the time) Since I had no double sided tape either, I used some poster tack (blue putty looking stuff) to stick it on there temporarily. I'm afraid the stuff starts to soften or even liquify so I'm gonna have to change that ASAP. It made a light difference with VRM temps. I measured with one of those laser temperature sensors I got at Canadian tire on special for like 10$ (great deal btw, this thing is awesome for checking temps in hard to reach places, and also doubles as a good cat toy) I used the same putty to mount a fan on the backside of the mobo tray blowing away from the tray... The fan I put close to the VRMs seems to be too close and isn't moving as much air as it could be if it was positioned a little further away... Can't really do much with poster tack for that lol...

The socket temps didn't drop as much as I excepted (probably because of my poor mounting technique) so I'm going to have to experiment because they did indeed drop (I saw a max of 72 instead of 75+ I was seeing at one point, most of the time the temps were in the 60-70 range... which is good compared to before)

Hi Welcome, As Mandrake said there are great people here that are eager to jump in with help on whatever you need. What do you have in the way of fans in your case now? I mounted two 2" fans in my case to help bring down my socket temps. One on the rear of the socket (Johan's idea) & one just below the VRM heatsink. ( also with double sided tape) Those two fans brought down my socket temps. by about 5C on average. Are you planning on overclocking?
Dan

I emulated what you did and I got good results too, but not good enough ... I'm going to keep at it, 70 degrees for a socket temp doesn't sound very viable to me.

Oh yeah I plan to overclock. I was just a little too ambitious at the start and I tried to hit 4.6 - 4.8 straight away. When I read what you guys had suggested to look at in CPU-Z About tab and export some data, I noticed that my chip seems to be a lot crappier than yours!

Code:
	# of P-States		7
	P-State			FID 0x1D - VID 0x0D - IDD 12 (22.50x - 1.387 V)
	P-State			FID 0x18 - VID 0x0A - IDD 13 (20.00x - 1.425 V)
	P-State			FID 0x15 - VID 0x0B - IDD 13 (18.50x - 1.412 V)
	P-State			FID 0xD - VID 0x15 - IDD 9 (14.50x - 1.287 V)
	P-State			FID 0x7 - VID 0x1D - IDD 7 (11.50x - 1.188 V)
	P-State			FID 0x1 - VID 0x27 - IDD 5 (8.50x - 1.063 V)
	P-State			FID 0x10C - VID 0x30 - IDD 4 (7.00x - 0.950 V)

So I backed things down and I seem to be relatively stable now with the following settings. Probably gonna try some FSB overclocking now

vCV9H0B.png

Thanks again guys

artielange no ridicule here, what works works. I have my fan mounted on my VRM/NB heatsinks with zip ties. I also have zip ties holding the tubing on my 700gph pond pump I use for benching, which is also submerged in a kitty litter bucket holding 3 gallons of distilled water and 1 gallon of antifreeze, it's ugly but works.

As far as your P-States you need to be at default settings in order for it to read correctly. That's why your readings are off.

You really need to show us a capture of just HWMonitor done under P95 Blend mode. There is great information to be discerned from captures.

You should be getting lower temps than you hint at and thus why we need HWMonitor capture at that 4.3Ghz speed, then we know what the ram is etc. If you change frequencies then we need the full meal deal of HWMonitor and 3 Tabs of CPUz > CPU > Memory > SPD tabs.

Now it maybe that your particular cpu needs voltage as you have given it, but on air my FX-8350 is running 4.7Ghz with 1.43Vcore on CHV mobo.
RGone...

I became afraid of Prime95 because of the intense socket heat it produced. OCCT seemed to be less brutal. Let me set up the Prime run remotely and I'll report back with my results.

If it's getting too hot you can back it down a bit. All we need is about 20 mins. Gives us a good Idea of your temps and volts.

70 degrees for a socket temp doesn't sound very viable to me

You are right about that temp. it is right there at the top of the scale for what the temps. should be. As RGone said you should post a shot of HWMonitor while under load (Prime95) so we can see what's going on. Just take it slow.
Dan

Lol taking it slow is my specialty.

Really not happy about these temps :( Papa how much did your temps drop after installing the ad hoc socket fans?

Here's a SS of the Prime95 aftermath (41 minutes about)

LuWoekJ.png

Lol taking it slow is my specialty.

Really not happy about these temps :( Papa how much did your temps drop after installing the ad hoc socket fans?

Here's a SS of the Prime95 aftermath (41 minutes about)

LuWoekJ.png

That is the reason for wanting to see HWMonitor in my mind. Look at the HDD temps. They are rising with the 'heat' in the case caused by overclocking. I would really like to know what kind of case you are using and what is being used to create air flow thru the case. I think if you fix the case cooling, you will be well on the way to lowering the socket temp
RGone...

That is the reason for wanting to see HWMonitor in my mind. Look at the HDD temps. They are rising with the 'heat' in the case caused by overclocking. I would really like to know what kind of case you are using and what is being used to create air flow thru the case. I think if you fix the case cooling, you will be well on the way to lowering the socket temp
RGone...

Interesting observation. The thing is, I use an old case without the side panels and no case fans whatsoever... Not the nicest thing to look at, but I mess around so much that I got tired of removing side panels everytime I wanted to.

Back