• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8350 Socket Temps.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Even with the panels off it can be starved for fresh air without any fans. You'll get hot spots and if the VRM fan is the only thing creating movement it's not enough.

Interesting observation. The thing is, I use an old case without the side panels and no case fans whatsoever... Not the nicest thing to look at, but I mess around so much that I got tired of removing side panels everytime I wanted to.
Do you have 2x120 fans on your radiator? How is it mounted? Since you have a water brock on your CPU there are no fans in this area which will tend to make the area of the socket & VRM warmer than a sys. with an air cooler. With no fan here is one reason your temps are so high along with not having case fans. I have 8 fans in my case total.

without the side panels and no case fans whatsoever....

And it pretty much shows in the temps. No air flow. Stagnant air that is hot just soaking most everything.

I was not guessing what you said but more along the line of a weak OEM fan drawing out the rear and nothing blowing in lower front. That was what I suspected. Not no fans and open case.
RGone...

What kind of pump do you have? I would imagine your block needs more pump pressure than standard supermacy since it has no jet plate. It might be more restrictive too if that makes any sense.

I would also want to know is that high cpu core voltage really necessary for that speed?
Your package temp is quite high for properly optimized loop, The airflow will do only so much for the socket and pretty much nothing for package temp.
There is also a possibility that you have very concave cpu and I would check the contact. If your TIM is building up around the center of the cpu its ok, if it builds up at the center you have a problem.

What kind of pump do you have? I would imagine your block needs more pump pressure than standard supermacy since it has no jet plate. It might be more restrictive too if that makes any sense.

I would also want to know is that high cpu core voltage really necessary for that speed?
Your package temp is quite high for properly optimized loop, The airflow will do only so much for the socket and pretty much nothing for package temp.
There is also a possibility that you have very concave cpu and I would check the contact. If your TIM is building up around the center of the cpu its ok, if it builds up at the center you have a problem.

I'd have to disagree, If the rad is mounted in a case with hot air that's what gets pulled through the rad . When I had my 8350 in a LianLi PC70box and using a TT aio 240mm rad my temps were better with more voltage. It's all about fresh air. I had the stock 120 case fan + 2 140mm Prolimatech Vortex Pumping air into it a good 120 rear exhaust and 4 x120mm NZXT fans on the rad exhausting out the top. I figure I had well over 300 CFM moving through that case.
It's the difference between putting you icecream sandwich in the refrigerator or the toaster oven!
As for the voltage .. it's an 8320 so you shouldn't expect it to clock like an 8350. Every chip is different. Yes some 8320s clock like 9xxx series chip but not very many.

His case is wide open so the rad fans pulls plenty fresh air mixed with the hot air from other components. Unless his fans are bad I would expect his package temp bellow 50c.
I agree that he needs better case cooling but I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't help to get cpu temp down much, socket temp yes but not the actual core temp.

Well there's one easy way to find out. We'll have to get artie to take a house fan and blow some air into that thing.
I just believe he' got alot of hot air period. Hot CPU hot board hot gpu all sitting in a dead air space . Most cases if set up properly will run cooler with the side on.

And it pretty much shows in the temps. No air flow. Stagnant air that is hot just soaking most everything.

I was not guessing what you said but more along the line of a weak OEM fan drawing out the rear and nothing blowing in lower front. That was what I suspected. Not no fans and open case.
RGone...

Well there's one easy way to find out. We'll have to get artie to take a house fan and blow some air into that thing.
I just believe he' got alot of hot air period. Hot CPU hot board hot gpu all sitting in a dead air space . Most cases if set up properly will run cooler with the side on.

Honestly I never used fans with my PhII setup apart from my radiator fans. Parts never got that hot, I had a different block but everything else was the same. So I started off the same way with this chip.

I installed two 120mm fans; one at the front as an intake and the other at the back as exhaust. I inverted the small VRM fan to pull air away from that area which will hopefully be disposed of quickly by the rear exhaust fan.

Untitled.png

I'm still seeing 70 at the socket for short times, but it's obviously a lot better than before. Also just a note that the CPU spent most of the time at 46-48 and very little at 50 as the SS shows. For the time being, I'm going to blame the higher than average load temps on a high ambient temperature

I have the XPSC 51/4 bay pump/res combo, 2 of them. I bought one two years ago and it decided to die. I bought another recently, but also realized the old one still worked. I decided to throw it in my loop too. So I've got enough flow, that I'm sure of. I'm unsure of why I bought the same combo, I find them convenient to install for sure. Although they're a huge pain to bleed bubbles from your case.

Obviously the morale here is don't think you can get away with overclocking AMD FX with a fanless case. Thanks guys

You got that , and it's a totally different beast than a PhenomII. Like comparing a bearded lizard to a fire breathing dragon.
Trust me it has caught quite a few people unprepared , myself included.

Like comparing a bearded lizard to a fire breathing dragon.
Trust me it has caught quite a few people unprepared , myself included.

Pretty accurate although it would take a rather odd mentatility to come up with that minds eye picture, which is sort of scary to me. Hehehe.
RBobertGone...sterstignatorzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :mad: fire breathing.

Pretty accurate although it would take a rather odd mentatility to come up with that minds eye picture, which is sort of scary to me. Hehehe.
RBobertGone...sterstignatorzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :mad: fire breathing.

Ya just a little something I picked up at the ILHOC

Ya just a little something I picked up at the ILHOC

I put that up there maybe 6 mos ago and you are the first one to mention same. We used to have a group of us that gathered by skype that went by that name. Hehehe. Was a good group for sure man.
BoBeRt...ster.

I put that up there maybe 6 mos ago and you are the first one to mention same. We used to have a group of us that gathered by skype that went by that name. Hehehe. Was a good group for sure man.
BoBeRt...ster.

Kind of like the He-man Woman Haters Club for nerds. :rofl::rofl:
I noticed it up there but didn't realize it had sentimental value to ya. I thought you were just talking about us.:grouphug:

ILHOC was to push and retreat enough after pushes to have stablity. But the ILORC, humh, that bunch I don't know so much. The ILHOC did not have a C_D and his TS stuff. Yes the J45 vs M4565 was evident. I used to actually work on a rambler clown car. I think I remember ILHOC being pretty active in helping in a particular forum. But man oh man what an affection I have for the current ILORC. A truly awesome bunch furthering the craft of overclocking to the many.
RGonebobertsterstignatorzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

But man oh man what an affection I have for the current ILORC. A truly awesome bunch furthering the craft of overclocking to the many.
RGonebobertsterstignatorzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I swear there's some reference to Rodeo Clowns in there. ILORC Institute of the Last Overclocking Rodeo Clowns. :salute:

I was thinking International League of Rodeo Clowns :D

Johan has one because he has 10 thumbs!

I like that one better Manny and just for the record the thumbs aren't the problem it's thextra pinky on the left just seems to have a mind of it's own.

Hi, The last time I posted a freq. it was 4.763Ghz (22x211) Prime stable & since then I've been trying to just get 4.786Ghz (22x212) stable with no luck. I've tried adjusting everything I can think of. mem, cpu nb, ht link, all kinds of voltages. At 22x212 & the offset volts at the last yellow value (.1375v) Prime will drop a core after about 2 min. If I bump the offset up one value the first one in the red (.14375v) the computer hangs about 10 sec. into Prime. Is this thing trying to tell me that this is as far as it wants to go?

The SSs are when I'm at .1375v offset & Prime drops a core.

Attachments

• hwmon.PNG
    hwmon.PNG
    33.2 KB · Views: 39
  • cpuz.PNG
    cpuz.PNG
    31.6 KB · Views: 40
  • mem.PNG
    mem.PNG
    21 KB · Views: 39
Back