• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8350 Socket Temps.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm seeing a LOT of droop on the vCore. That's probably why Prime is dropping.

Have you tried dropping the memory to the next multiplier down? What is your Cpu NB Voltage set at?

With that much vcore you seem to have hit the limit of the chip as of what it can do with acceptable voltage. There is also a chance that your VRM starts to throttle or struggle under the load.
But you should try dropping the memory multiplier. Memory is quite stubborn when it comes to overclocking and you don't often see it doing much over rated speed unless it is quality OC memory.

With that much vcore you seem to have hit the limit of the chip as of what it can do with acceptable voltage. There is also a chance that your VRM starts to throttle or struggle under the load.
But you should try dropping the memory multiplier. Memory is quite stubborn when it comes to overclocking and you don't often see it doing much over rated speed unless it is quality OC memory.
I was thinking about the VRM also, as many people have said that the EVO board is a little lacking in that area. I've checked the memory at both 215 & 220 with memtest86 & all was good. Have dropped it back with no luck.
Dan

dan, I know with my M5A99X evo board I hit a point where I just couldn't go any higher and run prime to find stability. You may have reached that point, you can try sticking a fan on the VRM heatsinks and see if cooling them down helps.

dan, I know with my M5A99X evo board I hit a point where I just couldn't go any higher and run prime to find stability. You may have reached that point, you can try sticking a fan on the VRM heatsinks and see if cooling them down helps.
Hi, Have the fan there. Looks like I might have reached that point. I have gone much higher & it holds for benches & whatever I need to do elsewhere. I'm putting together another computer on paper right now. It will be water cooled with a custom loop.
Dan

Hi, Have the fan there. Looks like I might have reached that point. I have gone much higher & it holds for benches & whatever I need to do elsewhere. I'm putting together another computer on paper right now. It will be water cooled with a custom loop.
Dan

For benching and what not I was able to go higher also, I just couldn't get it stable above 4.5 on the Evo no matter what I did. The reality is you really don't need to run above 4.7 anyways unless you're doing some serious number crunching.

You know the drill to date...let us add a little more.

Okay PPD, I am looking at your post # 100 which is supposed to be your try at 4.786Ghz. I am going to name off a couple of things and YES am fully aware of that eVo and pRo boards failures to get stable much beyond 4.5Ghz in general for both "mandrake and johan".

1. Does that board have a setting where you can change the frequency of the VRMs? Stock is 300Mhz. Try 350 or 400.

2. I am looking at my chart of Cpu Voltages for my FX-8350 on g00d water and I have 1.48Volts written down. Your HWMonitor shows normal use Vcore at only 1.476 V and a jump to 1.488 V when it first goes under load likely. So that Max to me does NOT count. It is not the Voltage in use most of the time.

3. So from 2.) above I expect you do n0t have enough Volts to the Cpu. I often find that jumping one small increment upwards only gets me a 'portion' of the keyed in Voltage. Often the actual cpu voltage supplied is rather a coarse approximation of what we key into the bios.

4. SO looking at your temps and knowing that my water cooled Vcore had to be increased by 0.03 when I moved from water to air...> that means in a general way your FX-8350 should perhaps get 1.48 + 0.03 = 1.51Volts for the cpu. You are n0t there yet voltage wise speaking in the general way that I am. Plus your cpu might take even more than mine to become stable. OR less but so far less has not proved accurate.

5. You have some more temp head room it seems and if you REALLY want to see if you can get stable at 4.786Ghz, I expect you need some more cpu voltage.

6. Okay looking at any loose ends besides the eVo and pRo boards don't have a robust enough VRM circuit, I don't see a bad ram situation and you have dropped the ram multiplier.
A.) I would make my ram voltage 1.55 if it is 1.50 ram.

B.) I would make sure the CPU_NB was setting at about 1.25V with its' LLC set to HIGH if it has such in bios.

C.) I would also not have any issue with you dropping the cpu multiplier to 19x and raising the HT Ref Freq aka FSB to about 250 for <>4.8Ghz cpu speed. You need to make sure you change the ram speed downward and the CPU_NB downward and the HT Link Speed downward so that the 250 FSB does not push those into too high a range.

Now those are the "other" things I would try before I would say that my shett has reached its' stable limit. Yes we still know of the eVo and pRo situation, but I don't give up easily.

7. And one last thing. It is that you do seem to have temp head room. You are not outrageous on Cpu voltage yet. So I would try to skin that slightly higher stable setting just for the h*ll of it even though 4.5 or 4.6Ghz is plenty in general. In fact I am down to 4.3Ghz most of the time under moderate loads and it drops way down when the load is nearly idle. THAT is until I go to editting video and then I jump it up in bios to 4.8Ghz with 16gigs of ram.
RGone...

It's just too hot. The indicator is in this sentence from post #100.

At 22x212 & the offset volts at the last yellow value (.1375v) Prime will drop a core after about 2 min. If I bump the offset up one value the first one in the red (.14375v) the computer hangs about 10 sec. into Prime.

IMO already topped out that cpu or really close to it now.

Im with RGone and ShrimpBrine I think you have probably reached the end of the line. One last thing you can try is give your CPU_VDDA a little bump, hope that's the right one I cant check as my system is still down. I am sure RGone can correct me if I am wrong. Bumping this on some lesser boards has helped with stability at the very upper end those of use using the top boards have not seen any improvement in stability if my memory is correct. There was a discussion a while back.

1. Does that board have a setting where you can change the frequency of the VRMs? Stock is 300Mhz. Try 350 or 400.I do have that & will give it a try

3. So from 2.) above I expect you do n0t have enough Volts to the Cpu. I often find that jumping one small increment upwards only gets me a 'portion' of the keyed in Voltage. Often the actual cpu voltage supplied is rather a coarse approximation of what we key into the bios.Did not know that!

4. SO looking at your temps and knowing that my water cooled Vcore had to be increased by 0.03 when I moved from water to air...> that means in a general way your FX-8350 should perhaps get 1.48 + 0.03 = 1.51Volts for the cpu. You are n0t there yet voltage wise speaking in the general way that I am. Plus your cpu might take even more than mine to become stable. OR less but so far less has not proved accurate.Will give that a try

6. Okay looking at any loose ends besides the eVo and pRo boards don't have a robust enough VRM circuit, I don't see a bad ram situation and you have dropped the ram multiplier.
A.) I would make my ram voltage 1.55 if it is 1.50 ram.It is at 1.554v now

B.) I would make sure the CPU_NB was setting at about 1.25V with its' LLC set to HIGH if it has such in bios.Those both are there now

C.) I would also not have any issue with you dropping the cpu multiplier to 19x and raising the HT Ref Freq aka FSB to about 250 for <>4.8Ghz cpu speed. You need to make sure you change the ram speed downward and the CPU_NB downward and the HT Link Speed downward so that the 250 FSB does not push those into too high a range.I will give that a try

Good info here, Thanks RGone. I'll let you know how it goes.
Dan

Im with RGone and ShrimpBrine I think you have probably reached the end of the line. One last thing you can try is give your CPU_VDDA a little bump, hope that's the right one I cant check as my system is still down. I am sure RGone can correct me if I am wrong. Bumping this on some lesser boards has helped with stability at the very upper end those of use using the top boards have not seen any improvement in stability if my memory is correct. There was a discussion a while back.
Hi, hope it's not topped out, I didn't think about the Vdda I will give it a try.
Thanks Dan

Hi, hope it's not topped out, I didn't think about the Vdda I will give it a try.
Thanks Dan
Dan just a heads up, I have played with the VDDC on my Asus boards and I haven't seen any proof that it helped stabilize it. Though, I never really did any true testing on it. Ssjwizard did find it helped on his Gigabyte board, here's the thread on it.

Dan just a heads up, I have played with the VDDC on my Asus boards and I haven't seen any proof that it helped stabilize it. Though, I never really did any true testing on it. Ssjwizard did find it helped on his Gigabyte board, here's the thread on it.
Thanks for the info, I've started trying some of RGone's ideas but no luck so far. Haven't tried the VDDC yet.
Dan

Thanks Dan

I hate to say it but that's more than likely the case. 4.64 was the top for me on my M5A pro R2. You've done quite well Dan :thup:

Thanks for the info, I've started trying some of RGone's ideas but no luck so far. Haven't tried the VDDC yet.
Dan

Well it was a list of some things that *might* give a little more speed. Might and Maybe are likely key since there is not assurance of going higher. The VDDA and now confused with VDDA are not the same in my mind.

Truthfully, I expect he was and is facing that fabled limit, but I always give the oddball stuff a run thru before I say...well just shett, I am there.
RGone...

Last edited:
Back