• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8GB installed (3.96 usable)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RickRs

ok, here is my issue. Hopefully someone can figure this out.

AMD FX-8320 CPU

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 MB rev. 4

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model F3-8500CL7D-8GBRL

Here is what I am having issues with.

sometimes when i boot my pc all the Ram shows as it should in the computer properties. sometimes it shows as 8GB (3.96 usable). Even when it shows this reading, all the ram is visible in BIOs and in CPU-Z, but in Single channel.

Any suggestions on how to solve this issue?

Hi and welcome.

I think that is a result of running a 32bit operating system?

EDIT:
OR The ram is in the wrong slots for dual channel BUT should see all 8 any ways.

Back to first suggestion.

+1 Yes, it sounds like you are running a 32 bit operating system.

If it is windows 7 or 8, you can use your current windows key to installed the x64 version but you will have to do a full re-install, I' pretty sure you cannot do an in place upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit

running 64-bit

Microsoft Windows 7 (6.1) 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

+1 Yes, it sounds like you are running a 32 bit operating system.

If it is windows 7 or 8, you can use your current windows key to installed the x64 version but you will have to do a full re-install, I' pretty sure you cannot do an in place upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit

We have a similiar set up as we have the very same MB.

Last edited by a moderator:
running 64-bit

I would say grab the mobo manual really quick and be sure what ram slots set you in dual channel mode. If the Ram is already installed in the correct slots, go ahead and re-seat the ram. Some times one end doesn't sit all the way in and it gives problems. If this is all you get as far as problems go from bad seating, consider yourself lucky in a way. It could just be blue screening left and right...

I would say grab the mobo manual really quick and be sure what ram slots set you in dual channel mode. If the Ram is already installed in the correct slots, go ahead and re-seat the ram. Some times one end doesn't sit all the way in and it gives problems. If this is all you get as far as problems go from bad seating, consider yourself lucky in a way. It could just be blue screening left and right...

Correct slots are being used. I ran the long mem test last night and it found no errors as well.

Though sometimes I do re-seat the second stick and I am able to use the full 8GB till i reboot or restart my pc.

It wouldn't matter the ram slots being used, or if they are in ganged or unganged mode.

Try taking one of the sticks of ram out and only run with one, boot into windows, then shutdown, and readd the memory back.

Though sometimes I do re-seat the second stick and I am able to use the full 8GB till i reboot or restart my pc.

There it is right there. It's an operating system problem.

OK check MSconfig. Go to Boot tab, advanced Options button and uncheck maximum memory.

Start there.

There it is right there. It's an operating system problem.

OK check MSconfig. Go to Boot tab, advanced Options button and uncheck maximum memory.

Start there.

unchecked as it already was. Just curios, should it say under number of processors - 1, when I have 8?

Ran the easycdb program. All 8 cores are working. Currently showing all 8 GB of ram. I will see what it shows next time i fire it up and report back.

I had this issue for a while on my HTPC (although only one stick was disappearing, saying 8GB (6GB usable)). The problem was the stick wasn't correctly seated in the slot. It looks like the same thing is happening to you.

If that didn't work try the other two slots for the dual channel to see if that fixes it?

Just like to commit on the 32-bit OS if it was really running it, it should report far LESS memory than the 3.96GB.

Typically is 4GB - 256MB - Videocard Ram = Total Usable Ram. Just a FYI

I would say its not seated 100% or bad slot in the board?
Trying other slots might help and even if its not in the same bank it will show up still, just not in dual channel is all.

Then again, can't remember if AMD CPU's have the ram controller onboard or not, but maybe a faulty CPU?

unchecked as it already was. Just curios, should it say under number of processors - 1, when I have 8?

Honestly, I am baffled.

You say, I reseat then have all usable Ram. Restart Winders and then only 4 but bios sees all 8.

Then I thought I read you saying bios sometimes will not see all 8? Is this a correct statement?

The second one would have me question the board. Either physically or perhaps the firmware needs an update.

Do you have the most current bios installed?

And lastly, If bios always sees all 8 gigs, then it's installed correctly and bios is up to date, Find a different in working order HDD and install a fresh copy of windows. See how it acts with a fresh copy. If it works all the time, you know the old OS is screwey.

BIOS always see's 8 GB of ram, most current Bios installed as well. One thing I did forget to mention, this is a new build. Has been working good so far for some reason. I will report back if anything changes.

so far so good. but all I did different was run that easycdb program. Must have had something to do with all my processors not running maybe. Third boot and a couple hours of gaming and no issues. Feeling pretty happy so far. Thanks guys!

Well, not so fast. Did some testing with one stick at a time, the first stick booted fine in first slot closest to CPU, second stick did not boot in same slot, however, it did boot when moved to second of four slots, so added the second stick into the 4th slot. so now using slot 2 and 4. CPU-Z shows all ram and in dual mode, but the speed concerns me. Speed number on ram itself is 7-7-7-18, CPU-Z shows it as 7-7-7-20 at 535.8 MHz. That seem right?

The timings typically are set automatically. So the mobo might adjust the times as needed even if its stable.

Though might not hurt to do a full ram test with the sticks to make sure. One might really be faulty, or the motherboards ram sockets might be faulty. If you want to be sure test a single stick at a time. Might take a while but worth it to be sure if your having this many issues.

Back