• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9590 w/ 1070

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Didn't know this site had trolls. Up yours. No skin off my back, but if you have trolls here, I'm not hanging out. C ya.

Didn't know this site had trolls. Up yours. No skin off my back, but if you have trolls here, I'm not hanging out. C ya.

So, someone that uses raw, accurate, up-to-date data and benchmarks and relevant points to benefit the OP is a "troll"? Interesting. All points were intended to benefit the OP's long term decisions, not to debase your gigantic ego. If you can't understand that, sorry???

- - - Updated - - -

That escalated quickly.

Not really. It wont go any further

Just my $.02, but in my experience here bob4933 has been a constructive contributor (except when he's picking on my choice of 1070.... :rofl: ) , and, overall, this is one of the most AMD friendly sites I know of. We have lots of Team Red fans. My last rig (and my daughter's current rig) was FX powered. It was and is a solid rig for its purposes and I got lots of help here. Numbers is numbers, though. There may have been a bit of a chip on the shoulder over bad experiences on another forum, but they ain't us.

+1 to this forum being AMD friendly.

Bob is merely asking 'why' when all facts lead to a conclusion that clearly show AMD fall behind given it's older tech.

If you already own the hardware, of course, go for a new GPU you'll still see improvements. But your next buy should then be either Zen when it arrives (assuming it's as good as we hope, in fact I'm sure many on here are looking forward to Zen!), or jump ship to Intel.

In the Zen rumor thread we have a whole bunch of members expressing interest in getting Zen chips, including folks who currently have Intel chips. I see a couple guys in this thread who have a bunch of AMD chips. One just bought a 9590. Maybe he'll poke around and realize things are different here.

Was thinking about upgrading wife's FX-4300 to a Zen next year or so (when everything is rock solid running), really interested in seeing what AMD cooked up :) we have a couple threads on 1070/1080 bottlenecking on the GPU section if memory serves, if even the i5-6600k was at risk the FX-9590 should be a dead given in the latest games no ?

Was thinking about upgrading wife's FX-4300 to a Zen next year or so (when everything is rock solid running), really interested in seeing what AMD cooked up :) we have a couple threads on 1070/1080 bottlenecking on the GPU section if memory serves, if even the i5-6600k was at risk the FX-9590 should be a dead given in the latest games no ?

The question isn't "can the 9590 play games comfortably" its "how long" at this point. Some games are already below the 60fps threshold.

For example, with a gtx 1080... on 1080p, fallout 4 maxes out on a 9590 at 55 fps, the witcher 3 got 44fps, gta 5 got 49fps, etc. its actually getting really hard to find gaming benchmarks that include it anymore as it is so antiquated.

Sorry for trolling :screwy:

its actually getting really hard to find gaming benchmarks that include it anymore as it is so antiquated.

That should be all the answer you need, but if someone wants more i can only add to what was said already, i had a FX-8370 @4.7ghz and when i switched to my i7-6700k @4.7ghz i gained anywhere between 50%-100% FPS on most games with the same 980ti :( harsh but true :(

I don't get the guy, this is the best site for us amd fanbouys, if it's on the am3+ platform I have it and in a few years on this site no body has ever run my choice down.
the op came in here for an honest answer, he got it and some guy dosent like it.
over in the overclocktagon we bench with each other, I have been known to show up with my Sempron 3200, I don't get run down for it, I get help with it, I'll stay on this site.

The question isn't "can the 9590 play games comfortably" its "how long" at this point. Some games are already below the 60fps threshold.

For example, with a gtx 1080... on 1080p, fallout 4 maxes out on a 9590 at 55 fps, the witcher 3 got 44fps, gta 5 got 49fps, etc. its actually getting really hard to find gaming benchmarks that include it anymore as it is so antiquated.

Sorry for trolling :screwy:
Actually, I wouldn't expect that to be the reason. Let's consider the that these chips ARE AMD'S latest so what else are you going to test with/do sites have for comparison??!! It also came out last and is one of the newest fx cpus. This is why I believe most sites use the less expensive, less 'rare' 8370 on down.... for the same reason most sites don't use a 5960x/6950X as it doesn't really paint a picture for the masses.

As far as the new guy... please relax. Less than 5 posts in and you are calling people trolls??? I agree with Alaric and this is one of the most unbiased sites I've run across. We pride ourselves in getting the facts out to people. The fact is AMD cpus will bottleneck some cards, in some titles. It's also a fact, like we all said, that it is still a viable chip...it just has a glass ceiling. We pointed out our logic....but I didn't realize he already had the cpu.

Anyway, at this point, I ask ALL parties to move on in this thread and focus on the OP, not replying to/about our new member and continue down the path of arguing. :)

Last edited:
Thank you all for your help. I didn't mean to start an argument or anything. I know the fx chip is old and out of date, but I found this all out a year after I bought my rig. That being said, I love my rig. I am going to give zen a chance and see what happens. I like amd, so I'm really rooting for them. I don't have the money right now for a new rig. And when I do, zen will be out and stable and Intel might release a new chip. So who knows. But thanks for your guy's help anyways.

Just a questio, have you overclocked the 980?
I'm an AMD fan as well my gamer is a 9370/GTX980, even though I have a 4790K 6700K and a 5960x in the house

No. It has eco mode, gaming mode and oc mode built into oc guru. I'm scared to oc it since I dont have money for a new Gpu right now. It's at 1204 mhz or something. Are they oc friendly?

Yes the 980s typically overclocked quite well. New cards are pretty hard to break unless you physically modify them or make BIOS changes. They will automatically throttle back if temp or power draw is too high

Well, I'll have to take a look and research the forums YouTube.

- - - Updated - - -

What's the difference between the 980 and the 980ti.i know the ti is faster but why?

About 800 more cudas that's the big difference
Basically more processing threads with 2800(980Ti) cores VS 2000(980) cores. It's quite a big jump in performance.

OC is quite easy just use whatever software came with your card. Set the pwer slider all the way up, don't bother with voltage yet then add some core speed and test with something like unigine heaven. Rinse and repeat until it crashes add a bit of voltage and see if you can stabilize it.Drop the core speed and Do the same with the memory util you get artifacts on screen then back it down a bit. Try bringing the two together usually need to drop the speed a bit. When testing watch the core speed for drops(throttling ) usin GPUz sensors. If it's throttling you're too warm or over your power limit and will have to drop back a bit.

What happens when it crashes? Restart computer? I don't want to restart it a bunch of times and corrupt Windows or the bios again.

Back