• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9590 w/ 1070

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What happens when it crashes? Restart computer? I don't want to restart it a bunch of times and corrupt Windows or the bios again.

That's very unlikely. The amount of times I crashed whilst finding my stable OC, and then finding out it wasn't a stable OC when I'd BSOD once every two weeks, I never had a corruption or anything like that. Bios is far less likely to corrupt than windows, though.

just up the mgz 5 mgz at a time till the score in heaven falls a little, back it down 10 mgz and presto!!! you're done.

Okay. I was just curious. I'm running kinda a ****ty monitor. Cheap acer at 60hz. I don't even know what pshyc x is. I run everything on ultra though.

This is not a technical explanation but physX is a "middleware" (whatever that is) technology that relies heavily on the CPU to render certain kinds of 3D objects, ones that make heavy use of linear calculations I would guess as opposed to parallel.

Last edited:
would cinebench work as a benchmark or should i get heaven. and wouldnt going 5mhz at a time take forever? is there a starting point i can jump to?

Cinebench is typically a benchmark for cpus. Heaven is for the gpu.... so it depends on what you are testing.

i know its good for cpu but i didnt know about the gpu test they have on it, no one really references it when i research stuff. but okay. idk if or when ill oc but thanks for the help.

So i just benchmarked my gpu with heaven and it seems that the cpu is already bottlenecking the gpu. the results of the test:
FPS: 116.6
Score: 2938
Min: 31.4
Max: 215.9
Preset: Ultra
Tessellation: off
Anti aliasing: off
Direct X11

Extreme preset:

Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0

FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:
System

Platform:
Windows NT 6.2 (build 9200) 64bit
CPU model:
AMD FX(tm)-9590 Eight-Core Processor (4715MHz) x4
GPU model:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 21.21.13.7563 (4095MB) x1
Settings

Render:
Direct3D11
Mode:
1600x900 8xAA windowed
Preset
Extreme

Last edited:
So i just benchmarked my gpu with heaven and it seems that the cpu is already bottlenecking the gpu. the results of the test:
FPS: 116.6
Score: 2938
Min: 31.4
Max: 215.9
Preset: Ultra
Tessellation: off
Anti aliasing: off
Direct X11

Extreme preset:

Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0

FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:
System

Platform:
Windows NT 6.2 (build 9200) 64bit
CPU model:
AMD FX(tm)-9590 Eight-Core Processor (4715MHz) x4
GPU model:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 21.21.13.7563 (4095MB) x1
Settings

Render:
Direct3D11
Mode:
1600x900 8xAA windowed
Preset
Extreme

I would run it on Extreme. Typically I recommend steps of 25 mhz at a time when overclocking a gpu core. Why do you say the cpu is a BN already?

Because I don't see that high of fps during bf4. Farcry is more 55 fps during actions. I doubt the Gpu is doing that.

I would not try to compare fps from one program against another. They offer different types of load on the hardware and will react differently. Keep in mind heavan is used to stress an overclock on a gpu to test stability. The fps you see here will be different than your typical game.

Oh okay. Well I'm having a different problem I should tackle before I try to oc my Gpu. But that's for another thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Where should I post if my comp crashes while in bios but not Windows.

Found a AMD vs Intel Bottleneck video from JayzTwoCents comparing a FX-8320 and a i7-5930k with a GTX 1080 FE @1080p (hopefully it helps any) -

Okay, then, which is being used, the GPU or the CPU in the 3DMark "physics" bench marks. I get much higher scores in those tests when I use an i7 than I do with a G3258 while the other benchmark test scores when using the same GPU are about the same.

"Physics" and "Physx" are not interchangeable. Physics refers to any physics calculations and is run on the cpu hence the improved scores in 3dmark. Physx is a Nvidia software library that is used by game engines to enhance physics quality by allowing the calculations to be done by the gpu which is better able to handle the calculations due to the parallel nature of the processing. Physx is only available to be run with gpu acceleration when running a nvidia gpu and a program that supports the Physx libraries.

Thanks for the clarification. I assumed they were the same because the terminology is so similar.

Back