• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

970 ASROCK Extreme 3 overclocking guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You weill never notice 100Mhz. A few years ago they made a human ergonomic study and if something is not 'generally' 30% faster to a human they cannot tell the difference. 300Mhz, yes you might know that...but 100Mhz, uh uh.
RGone...ster.

Hey so far so good with my OC.. still need to do a 2 hour blend test but don't have the time so far since i need my computer at a consistent bases for work..

But right now i am wondering if 68c temp is normal for just surfing chrome and firefox... mind you that i have lots of tabs open for firefox and chrome.. and my current OC settings are at 4200mhz .. is that normal? When my computer isn't doing anything it sits around 30 to 42c max..

Attachments

• cpu temp.PNG
    cpu temp.PNG
    22 KB · Views: 133
You need to have HWMonitor open in background and load the computer and then attach a capture of HWMonitor to a post. That little attached image does not tell jack shett about where that temp came from.

I hope it is the CPU/Socket temp and n0t the package/core temp as shown by HWMonitor.

And even if it is the socket/CPU temp, that is pretty high for 4200Mhz and surfing the web. Sounds like you need some cooling in the case.
RGone...

Hey so far so good with my OC.. still need to do a 2 hour blend test but don't have the time so far since i need my computer at a consistent bases for work..

But right now i am wondering if 68c temp is normal for just surfing chrome and firefox... mind you that i have lots of tabs open for firefox and chrome.. and my current OC settings are at 4200mhz .. is that normal? When my computer isn't doing anything it sits around 30 to 42c max..

You need to have HWMonitor open in background and load the computer and then attach a capture of HWMonitor to a post. That little attached image does not tell jack shett about where that temp came from.

I hope it is the CPU/Socket temp and n0t the package/core temp as shown by HWMonitor.

And even if it is the socket/CPU temp, that is pretty high for 4200Mhz and surfing the web. Sounds like you need some cooling in the case.
RGone...

Ya thats what i am wondering.. cause just for surfing the net on chrome and firefox i am not sure why it would reach so high as 68c at times, and i do have a good cooling unit, which is the Antec 920 with two 120mm fans.. and brought up the fan RPMs pretty high..

Attachments

• temp 2014.PNG
    temp 2014.PNG
    46.4 KB · Views: 130
  • chill.PNG
    chill.PNG
    43.6 KB · Views: 130
Ya thats what i am wondering.. cause just for surfing the net on chrome and firefox i am not sure why it would reach so high as 68c at times, and i do have a good cooling unit, which is the Antec 920 with two 120mm fans.. and brought up the fan RPMs pretty high..
Good cooling unit is a relative term, yes good for lower TDP chips not for Fx 83xx with all 8 cores running. My Cooler Master 212 is a "good cooler" for my 955be not my Fx 8350. I wouldn't run those temps for 24/7 usage especially when just browsing the web. If I hit them during prime for stability purposes I'm ok with it, but not for light daily usage. You need better cooling or to lower the Oc. I'd bet if you run Prime for 2 hours of stability testing you'll go way over the suggested temps of 70 on the Cpu and 62 on the Package. Also signature please, it helps us help you.

He already is more than hot enough.
CPUTlN is showing 70c and Package is showing 67c.
RGone...

I am just thinking now it could just be my 970 extreme 3 MOBO.. i don't think it will allow it to go any higher unless the temps increases? Or my MOBO just can't handle it? But i thought i could at least be stable at 4200mhz with out the temps going so high.. Right now i put everything on auto and it is around 46 to 57 with having firefox and chrome opened the same time with lots of tabs in them.. so something is up with my MOBO..

Attachments

• current 2 temp cpu.PNG
    current 2 temp cpu.PNG
    42.1 KB · Views: 128
I am just thinking now it could just be my 970 extreme 3 MOBO.. i don't think it will allow it to go any higher unless the temps increases? Or my MOBO just can't handle it? But i thought i could at least be stable at 4200mhz with out the temps going so high.. Right now i put everything on auto and it is around 46 to 57 with having firefox and chrome opened the same time with lots of tabs in them.. so something is up with my MOBO..
On the first page of your post it was mentioned to you that your motherboard was probably going to be the weak link. It was also explained to you how to go about your overclocking. Leaving the voltages on Auto in most cases will give you more voltage then you need and additionally more heat. There is a method to our madness, we say these things because it's the best way we can help you from miles away through the internet.

"manny" he shows pretty low Vcore for Auto. I am sure since he said he put it back on Auto that
the board is doing CNQ (NO full set of IMAGES, shett shett) because HWMonitor shows:
Running Vcore > 1.192
Min Vcore of 1.135 and
Max Vcore of 1.336V.
That is about correct for a stock FX-8350 at its' default speed of 4.0Ghz. Boy I wish I had that one
under my water block. I digress or get off track. My default Vcore shows 1.375V at 4.0Ghz as does
my P-State list.

He needs better air flow over the VRMs and a better mobo or run it right where it is now as AMD
intended the cpu to run.
RGone...ster.

As far as your settings for your Antec 920 ..... change them lower ..... have it start to ramp up around 25*C and hit max around 32*C ...... I don't think this will help you much as you are already over the max temps we recommend for an OC as I have stated before already as well as other members have. Your cooling has brought you as far as you can go.

As far as your settings for your Antec 920 ..... change them lower ..... have it start to ramp up around 25*C and hit max around 32*C ...... I don't think this will help you much as you are already over the max temps we recommend for an OC as I have stated before already as well as other members have. Your cooling has brought you as far as you can go.

ya when i go below 25c the fan gets really loud.. i only do that when i play games..

i am going to see where i go again when i OC it this time..

On the first page of your post it was mentioned to you that your motherboard was probably going to be the weak link. It was also explained to you how to go about your overclocking. Leaving the voltages on Auto in most cases will give you more voltage then you need and additionally more heat. There is a method to our madness, we say these things because it's the best way we can help you from miles away through the internet.

Not sure how my "madness" effected me on how i just did my overclocking.. i listened exactly what RGone mentioned.. which was CPU volt at 1.4 and NB at 1.2.. which i did.. started bringing my 4.0ghz slowly up by .5.. where i finally was conformable at 4200ghz.. where i did find better game performance.. and didn't get any errors at p95... But so far reaching at 4200ghz, i was getting high temp while surfing.. but now i just need to bring the volts down a bit to make sure i don't get any high temps and my CPU is stabled at the same time.. I am not the first new comer to overclocking.. so i am sorry if i can't live up to your Newton ways..

"manny" he shows pretty low Vcore for Auto. I am sure since he said he put it back on Auto that
the board is doing CNQ (NO full set of IMAGES, shett shett) because HWMonitor shows:
Running Vcore > 1.192
Min Vcore of 1.135 and
Max Vcore of 1.336V.
That is about correct for a stock FX-8350 at its' default speed of 4.0Ghz. Boy I wish I had that one
under my water block. I digress or get off track. My default Vcore shows 1.375V at 4.0Ghz as does
my P-State list.

He needs better air flow over the VRMs and a better mobo or run it right where it is now as AMD
intended the cpu to run.
RGone...ster.

hey so i put everything on auto just to make sure it wasn't my cpu liquid cooling that was the issue.. i am getting about 48c to 55c max while having chrome and firefox open.. but about 63c when i watch high res online videos.. that should be normal? It is pretty heavy load? Just want to double check with others..

Attachments

• idleing.PNG
    idleing.PNG
    39.6 KB · Views: 131
Cooling that is presentable...but not great.

I had just shut-down 2 hours of P95 Blend mode when I saw your latest post. You keep trying to push it back up to 4.2Ghz and everytime it runs ToO dang hot for just plain ole web surfing. You need to fix the c00ling. Whatever it takes to fix the cooling. More fans. Fans that blow more air. Fan blowing on the VRM's or swap out the mobo.

You have NO issues with temps it seems until you push the speed up to 4.2Ghz. So it seems you caNNot push to 4.2Ghz with the current c00ling situation you have OR put up with the heat and quit asking if it is okay. We have already said we did not like the temps that high and certainly n0t when just web surfing.

So here is a graphic I quickly captured of the same setup I just completed 2+ hours of P95 Blend mode.

400Mhz faster than your setup and higher Vcore but cooler and the temps I am showing are when P95 Blend is actually in progress.
RGone...ster.

4.6Ghz Air.jpg

ya when i go below 25c the fan gets really loud.. i only do that when i play games..

i am going to see where i go again when i OC it this time..

The reason your fans get load is because they are pushing air through your rad which is what is cooling your fluid that is cooling the CPU. The faster the air flowing through your rad the more , "HYOPTHETICALLY" at least till you reach the max heat that your cooling will dissipate from your liquid in the system. Here is an example of mine I did not too long ago .......

example.jpg

Take as look at the temps I have on my old FX8150 using a comparable, within 3*C cooler, I have used both the H100 and Antec 920 with this chip.

Now this case was modified to allow cooling of the rear of the motherboard socket area so my socket temps will be off by about 10*C compared to what they would be without the mod, please keep that in mind. but @ 4.7GHZ with prime running my Core temps were only 54*C with my fans set to move as much air as they can, yes the fans were loud, louder then the fans on the Antec 920 I have and I knew they would be that is a consequence of using one of these closed loop systems.

If you set up your fan profile properly you can get a bit better CPU Core temps but the consequence will be loud fans, These rads kinda dictate that the fans that Antec and Corsair use pretty much have to be.

That example is kinda similar to RGons is it not.

When I used my Antec 920..... I can not ever remember having coolant temps that got up over 35*C mind you that was a long time ago. If the noise from these fans bother you so much try and find some ......

Scythe Gentle Typhoon 2150RPM 68.8CFM @30db Fan ...... http://dazmode.com/store/product/scythe_gentle_typhoon_2150rpm_69cfm_30db_fan/

or better yet ......

Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm x 25mm Fan - 3000 RPM (D1225C12B7AP-29) ....... http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1..._-_3000_RPM_D1225C12B7AP-29.html?tl=g36c15s60

Both these fans move allot of air and can push through rad fins very well the big difference while although still loud they have a different pitch to them and do not seem to annoy me as much.

That being said ..........

This will not fix your socket temps which will stop you from getting any kind of a decent Overclock. You need to deal with that as well. Cooling your CPU better will help but how much I can not even guess.

You have NO issues with temps it seems until you push the speed up to 4.2Ghz. So it seems you caNNot push to 4.2Ghz with the current c00ling situation you have OR put up with the heat and quit asking if it is okay. We have already said we did not like the temps that high and certainly n0t when just web surfing.

400Mhz faster than your setup and higher Vcore but cooler and the temps I am showing are when P95 Blend is actually in progress.
RGone...ster.

View attachment 137595

I think part of his problem, a big part RGone is that he doesn't want to run his fans high enough to push allot of air through his rad because of the noise from them. Being a double thick rad ....... well trouble at best.

I had just shut-down 2 hours of P95 Blend mode when I saw your latest post. You keep trying to push it back up to 4.2Ghz and everytime it runs ToO dang hot for just plain ole web surfing. You need to fix the c00ling. Whatever it takes to fix the cooling. More fans. Fans that blow more air. Fan blowing on the VRM's or swap out the mobo.

So here is a graphic I quickly captured of the same setup I just completed 2+ hours of P95 Blend mode.

RGone...ster.

View attachment 137595

Okay i think i might have found the problem.. i went to CPU fan control speed in bios..

It shows it is in "fullload" mode.. i think that should mean it is at its highest settings? But i just put it on automatic mode right now and it allows me to choose at which temp the fan ramp should start.. so i picked at 45c.. and everything seems to run cooler then before.. and i am going to now move my OC to 4200 then later 4300mhz and see if my temp sits all fine..

What type of cooling unit do you have? Because i think a liquid cooling system that i have should be enough no? Should beat your typical a straight air flow cooling unit... Also i think due to my mobo the temps are just going to be high? You have a beast of a MOBO and compared to mine maybe due to high temps when it comes to OCing? When ever i run p95 at 4200mhz at the time or even at 4300mhz the temp maxes out at 67c.. and from what i read so far as long i don't go above 70c i should be fine when it comes to running it at p95?.. this is what i have http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=704370&pid=17&lan=us

Running Vcore > 1.192
Min Vcore of 1.135 and
Max Vcore of 1.336V.
my P-State list.

intended the cpu to run.
RGone...ster.

Okay i think i finally found the problem... and part of it is the way i have had the two 120mm fans installed on my 920 radiator.. So my room gets pretty dusty and like what i did for my 560gtx ti card when i installed the antec 620 cooling unit on it (
).. i put two fans facing the opposite sides.. so one fan facing right and the other left.. instead of both fans facing the same way.. which i did before and i got really good temp results about 24c but even with opposite fans facing the other sides i still got 27c, if you look at my previous post.. i did this cause i ended up ALOT of dust getting into my radiator due to the air flow whenever i have both fans facing one way..

so i did the same with my ANTEC 920 cooling unit where i had both fans facing the opposite way.. in order to avoid dust.. now i put both fans going in 1 direction and getting much better cooling.. and this is at 4300mhz clock speed.. just ur normal chrome and firefox with just normal surfing i am getting about 42c to 50ish c (this is at 4300mhz).. which looks and should be just about normal? But let say if i run two high res video run the same time on both browser i get about 62c.. is that normal as well? Also when i run p95 blend for 4300mhz i am reaching 69c max .. am i okay on that? I still get no errors or warning.. and i am going to run the 2hour test in couple of mins to make sure everything runs fine.. but from what i read so far in the post as long i don't hit over 70c while p95blend runs i should be okay? I would still like your setting where you have shown me when you ran p95 blend you get about 53c? I would like to reach that kind of temp.. i am going to re-install my cooling unit and make sure i installed it right 2morow..

One fan "should" blow into the fins and the one on the other side should draw air thru the fins. IF you had one fan blowing out and the other fan on the other side blowing out...well no d*mn wonder it runs hot. Or if you had one fan blowiing into fins and the one on the other side blowing into the fins...no d*mn wonder it ran hot.
RGone...

isogamer, I apologize, when I read the quote below, I took it as you overclocked it be just leaving the voltage on auto, my bad!

. Right now i put everything on auto and it is around 46 to 57 with having firefox and chrome opened the same time with lots of tabs in them

To answer the question below, in general, going push|pull will be your best setup for fan placement.

now i put both fans going in 1 direction and getting much better cooling..

One fan "should" blow into the fins and the one on the other side should draw air thru the fins. IF you had one fan blowing out and the other fan on the other side blowing out...well no d*mn wonder it runs hot. Or if you had one fan blowiing into fins and the one on the other side blowing into the fins...no d*mn wonder it ran hot.
RGone...

ya it is night and day to how much cooler it is getting right now.. again the only reason why i DIDN'T have both fans facing in one side is due to dust issues.. alot of dust gets into the radiator.. now i have both fans blowing in one direction.. going to run a stress test and see how it goes..

RGone...

But how about when i run the stress test.. even with the two fans blowing in one direction is it still okay to get 69c? And this is when i put the fan setting into extreme at full blast.. i am wondering why i can't get temps like your when u run a stress test..

Back