• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

970 ASROCK Extreme 3 overclocking guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Possible answers...

i am wondering why i can't get temps like your when u run a stress test..

Possible answers:
1. No cooling to the VRMs and socket area when using AiO water cooling. There WAS overflow air cooling the VRMs and socket area, "if" a fan powered air cooler was mounted on top of the CPU for cooling cpu AiO and any water cooling will take away that cooling air from VRMs and Cpu socket area.

2. High current draw of 8 core processor is "over-taxing" the VRMs to supply enough power to the Cpu and thus are really running hot. This would mean that a fan blowing air over the VRM area is just about a MUST.

3. Most of us that really clock the pee out of these FX 8 core processors also have air circulation at the rear of the Cpu socket area. There have been pics of that shown by Johan45 and others.

Image concerning the air flow over VRMs.

970Ext3.jpg

Now I am going to be both very blunt and at the same time super honest. We are wasting a whole lot of time working with a motherboard that most of us already know is a huge hampering factor in any overclock of a power hungry 8 core FX processor. None of us that help 95% of the users in the AMD CPU and Motherboard Forum sections have ever recommended one of those entry level Asrock boards for anything like overclocking. Never have and never will. The boards are not ballsy enough to handle the power draw of an FX 8 core processor at anything much more than running HOW AMD designed that processor to be used and operated.

Run the cpu AS intended by AMD and it will do okay on that board. Start to push it even a little bit and then trouble starts as you are having. Simple as that and has been that way for 'everyone' of those boards that have come thru the AMD forum sections.

Now that leaves us right here: Do as suggested by the image above and then run it. That will be about it. Period. Whatever temp you get will be whatever temp you get and just live with it. All options are just about gone with that board as I best see it. I like to tinker with just about anything, but that even can become more or less useless after a bit of time without more positive results and then I drop the tinkering and use it or replace it. Sure enough.
RGone...

Possible answers:
1. No cooling to the VRMs and socket area when using AiO water cooling. There WAS overflow air cooling the VRMs and socket area, "if" a fan powered air cooler was mounted on top of the CPU for cooling cpu AiO and any water cooling will take away that cooling air from VRMs and Cpu socket area.

2. High current draw of 8 core processor is "over-taxing" the VRMs to supply enough power to the Cpu and thus are really running hot. This would mean that a fan blowing air over the VRM area is just about a MUST.

3. Most of us that really clock the pee out of these FX 8 core processors also have air circulation at the rear of the Cpu socket area. There have been pics of that shown by Johan45 and others.

Now I am going to be both very blunt and at the same time super honest. We are wasting a whole lot of time working with a motherboard that most of us already know is a huge hampering factor in any overclock of a power hungry 8 core FX processor. None of us that help 95% of the users in the AMD CPU and Motherboard Forum sections have ever recommended one of those entry level Asrock boards for anything like overclocking. Never have and never will. The boards are not ballsy enough to handle the power draw of an FX 8 core processor at anything much more than running HOW AMD designed that processor to be used and operated.

Run the cpu AS intended by AMD and it will do okay on that board. Start to push it even a little bit and then trouble starts as you are having. Simple as that and has been that way for 'everyone' of those boards that have come thru the AMD forum sections.

Now that leaves us right here: Do as suggested by the image above and then run it. That will be about it. Period. Whatever temp you get will be whatever temp you get and just live with it. All options are just about gone with that board as I best see it. I like to tinker with just about anything, but that even can become more or less useless after a bit of time without more positive results and then I drop the tinkering and use it or replace it. Sure enough.
RGone...

I see.. ya thats some good points.. and would make sense to why i am getting such high temps... So here is the thing and i hope you can reply to me fast... Today and maybe 2morow is going to be my last day to return this ASROCK mobo extreme 3 to my store which is "CANADA COMPUTERS".. i have been getting some internet disconnect issues as of lately.. and i was thinking it was my BELL service provider.. but when i talked to them they are telling me there is some disturbance that is coming from my desktop PC that is causing these disconnect issues... they are not sure.. but they are going to send a technician for the 4th time to my house to have this resolved.. "hopefully"...this is been going on for weeks.. and also just recently got this BELL internet service.. so who knows what they will find out by this week...my connection ends up being fine but only when i disconnect my modem and reconnect it.. then everything is fine..

Now i want to return this MOBO but i have soo much important data to back up and re installing windows and a new MOBO is going to be a PAIN... But i might do it depending on your suggestion.. This time IF i am going to get another MOBO.. i am going to make sure it has a 990 chipset to work with my AMD 8350 this time... that is if they have enough 990chipset mobo in stock

these are my options..

ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P
ASUS M5A97

this is all they have and what they have in stock and what i am able to exchange with.. mind you i have a 1600mhz ADATA DDR3 Ram.. and which motherboard you would suggest to get that also good for Overclocking?

If i have the time and see if i can back up my data in time by today i will return it by today.. or 2morow.. or if it is even worth it? And i have to make sure that it is BELL that is the issue for my recent disconnect issues and not my MOBO.. also when i bought this MOBO it was an open box.. where i got more of a discount when i purchased it..

Truth as I understand it...

ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 << Of the three boards you show in your list, THAT one is the ONLY one that stands any chance at all of doing a mild overclock of an FX-8350 cpu. And I repeat myself when I say a mild overclock of an FX-8350 cpu. We have helpers in this forum that had that M5A99FX PRO R2.0 that moved up to Sabertooth 990FX and Crosshair V boards because the M5A99FX PRO 2.0 would NOT overclock their FX-8350s stable with very good cooling, beyond about 4.5Ghz and be Prime95 Blend stable for 2 hours.

So read what I wrote. The M5A99FX PRO 2.0 may do okay to about 4.5Ghz if you have very good cpu cooling. It TOO will benefit from a fan blowing on the VRM circuit.

This much is pretty certain >> these two boards >> Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P and the >>
ASUS M5A97 are absolutely and for sure no better than what you already have for an FX-8350.

ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 << Of the three boards you show in your list, THAT one is the ONLY one that stands any chance at all of doing a mild overclock of an FX-8350 cpu. And I repeat myself when I say a mild overclock of an FX-8350 cpu. We have helpers in this forum that had that M5A99FX PRO R2.0 that moved up to Sabertooth 990FX and Crosshair V boards because the M5A99FX PRO 2.0 would NOT overclock their FX-8350s stable with very good cooling, beyond about 4.5Ghz and be Prime95 Blend stable for 2 hours.

So read what I wrote. The M5A99FX PRO 2.0 may do okay to about 4.5Ghz if you have very good cpu cooling. It TOO will benefit from a fan blowing on the VRM circuit.

This much is pretty certain >> these two boards >> Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P and the >>
ASUS M5A97 are absolutely and for sure no better than what you already have for an FX-8350.

Thanks for the quick response.. ya i kinda figured the Asus M5A99FX would be better since it has the 990fx chipset.. PLUS its more expensive.. Ya getting this motherboard might be tough since it isn't with in my budget.. i would have to spend about 70ish bucks more to get it.. I don't want to go too crazy for my CPU overclocking.. since it is mostly for gaming.. i really just need to upgrade my 560gtx ti to get to the next level of gaming.. if i can sustain a good 4300mhz to 4400mhz i am happy...

Let say if i can't get the Asus M5A99FX mobo.. should i go for the Gigabyte as i mentioned? I know it might not be better then my current ASROCK 970 mobo.. but a safe bet? I been reading more good reviews on the Gigabyte then the ASUS M5A97

Of the boards we recomand ...... CHVz , Sabertooth R2, Asrock exream 9,we know these will work with the FX6 and 8 core CPUs. There are a couple lesser board the Gygabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev.4 ..... this board is a toss of the dice I had some good luck with it but that was just 1 instance there have been many of the previouse versions that worked like the board you have now. If you decide to get the Gigabyte 990FXa-UD3 make sure it is the new Rev4 board and you know ahead that this could be a little bit of a gamble.

I would recommend the Sabertooth R2 which Canada computers has in stock.

I don't think you would be no better off with the Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P then the board you have now.

Of the boards we recomand ...... CHVz , Sabertooth R2, Asrock exream 9,we know these will work with the FX6 and 8 core CPUs. There are a couple lesser board the Gygabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev.4 ..... this board is a toss of the dice I had some good luck with it but that was just 1 instance there have been many of the previouse versions that worked like the board you have now. If you decide to get the Gigabyte 990FXa-UD3 make sure it is the new Rev4 board and you know ahead that this could be a little bit of a gamble.

I would recommend the Sabertooth R2 which Canada computers has in stock.

Thanks to the response.. but what i mentioned on my list is what i can only get due to my budget.. and what my local canadacomputer store has in stock...

but out of the 3 to what i mentioned i don't think i can get the ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 since i would have to spend about 75ish buks more to get it..

so now it comes down to Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P OR ASUS M5A97 since i would have to spend about 20buks max to get either one of the two.. i am leaning more to the Gigabyte.. what do you think?

Thanks "bassnut" for that awesome recommend. Going round and round with "isogamer" since all he seems to be able to purchase is more cheapO boards that have just about zero chance of overclocking an FX-8350 cpu.

If he cannot afford the M5A99FX PRO R2.0 that will do okay to about 4.5Ghz with good air, I am not sure he can do the Gygabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev.4 either. And if Canada Computers is not out of stock of the earlier R3.0 boards and he gets one of them and not the R4.0...well crap he is still in a bog-hole.

He needs to RMA while the board can be sent back for exchange/refund and that money applied to something better. If he waits...well then he will buy and pay the full price for a better board.

Cheap is just that cheap. And cheap boards and FX-8350 cpus do not make a very pretty match in the long run.

Again thank you "bassnut" for chiming in. I have little hair left on the front of my head from dealing with these cheapazz mobo situations.
RGone...

Last edited:
I don't think you would be no better off with the Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P then the board you have now.

NM the last reponse.. oh ya you think so? Well at this point i don't think i have an option.. due to me just being a student.. and with very low money.. i have no choice but to get the Gigabyte.. plus the fact it being brand new vs the AS ROCK that i got which was open box. i am sure the guy who get it before me returned it for a reason.. and the issues i am facing with the ASROCK is internet dis connectivity issues..

Thanks "bassnut" for that awesome recommend. Going round and round with "isogamer" since all he seems to be able to purchase is more cheapO boards that have just about zero chance of overclocking an FX-8350 cpu.

If he cannot afford the M5A99FX PRO R2.0 that will do okay to about 4.5Ghz with good air, I am not sure the can do the Gygabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev.4 either. And if Canada Computers is not out of stock of the earlier R3.0 boards and he gets one of them and not the R4.0...well crap he is still in a bog-hole.

He needs to RMA while the board can be sent back for exchange/refund and that money applied to something better. If he waits...well then he will buy and pay the full price for a better board.

Cheap is just that cheap. And cheap boards and FX-8350 cpus do not make a very pretty match in the long run.

Again thank you "bassnut" for chiming in. I have little hair left on the front of my head from dealing with these cheapazz mobo situations.
RGone...

Sorry you feel that way RGone and your frustrations.. if thats what you are going though responding to my thread.. i am just making sure or double checking to what i should be going for in the future and in terms of overclocking.. i do appreciate your responses.. but i am just doublechecking to what i need to do in terms of OCing.. and other technical matter..

Yes i get your message loud and clear to what type of MOBO i need to get to begin with.. believe me i would have gotten the sabertooth if i had the chance or money.. i mean i saw a couple of used ones on my local ad to get it.. but never herd from the sellers.. so i had no choice but to get the ASROCK 970 since thats what all i can afford... or any board for that matter that fits into this category.. I don't need to hit over 4.5ghz for OCing.. if i can do at least 43 to 4400ghz what i previously mentioned i will be happy.. since the next big step is to upgrade my GPU...

COPIED from tek syndiate forum:

GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3P with FX-8350

Do these two work together? Will I run into any problems? I'm just looking for something cheaper than the SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0.

comments

posted 4 months 1 week ago

Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0, it's cheaper than the Sabertooth and it runs the FX-8350 without a hitch.

You can't run an FX-8350 reliably on a dirt cheap motherboard, even at stock speeds. My suggestion is what I personally have. It will run the FX-8350 flawlessly at stock speeds and even has the capacity to overclock your FX-8350 should you desire.

I'll go with that. Thank you very much.
END COPY.

RGone...:bang head:bump:

EDIT:
if i can do at least 43 to 4400ghz what i previously mentioned i will be happy.. << You keep making that statement and I fully understand it. But you need a motherboard. The fact that the M5A99FX PRO 2.0 "could" cover that 4.3 to 4.4Ghz is just a freeken plus. Otherwise you get right back in the same spot of something that struggles to get the 4.3 to 4.4Ghz you say you need to be happy. We don't make the boards here in the forum.. We can only suggest based on seeing the FX 8 core processors for over 2 years now and try to keep posters from falling in the ditch.

I even lessened my suggestion to the M5A99X PRO 2.0 because of your 4.3 to 4.4Ghz and happy, since I know that board is useless up where I run daily at 4.7Ghz but your happy spot was less than the 4.5Ghz it is pretty well capable of doing. The other 2 boards of three you said they had at Canada Computers...well they will do you NO good or no better than what you have already. Why swap a headache for another?
END EDIT.

Last edited:
Budgets are budgets my man...... the statement above still stands if your budget is that tight then you might as well stick with the Asrock board. There is no benefit to going to the Gigabyte board or the asus board. The reason it was an open box was someone like you bought it ..... tried it and didn't like it/ wouldn't work for him, just like you.

That being said both of the boards you mentioned look like they are 4+2 power phase, I know the Asus one is which I believe is the same as the asrock board you have now. One thing the Asus board has is a better cooling for the VRM's. If you are dead set to get another board ...... I would pick the Asus but I doubt, am willing to bet you will have no better luck overclocking this board at least you might be able to cool the VRM's better.

The best advice I can give
...... run the board you have now at stock or 4.2GHZ and save some money for a decent board get a fan blowing across your VRMs and another in behind your motherboard if you have a cutout there that will suck out the heat. Canada Computer has sales all the time where you can get $30 - $40 off one of the better 990FX boards........ I go there too often.

Budgets are budgets my man...... the statement above still stands if your budget is that tight then you might as well stick with the Asrock board. There is no benefit to going to the Gigabyte board or the asus board. The reason it was an open box was someone like you bought it ..... tried it and didn't like it/ wouldn't work for him, just like you.

That being said both of the boards you mentioned look like they are 4+2 power phase, I know the Asus one is which I believe is the same as the asrock board you have now. One thing the Asus board has is a better cooling for the VRM's. If you are dead set to get another board ...... I would pick the Asus but I doubt, am willing to bet you will have no better luck overclocking this board at least you might be able to cool the VRM's better.

...... run the board you have now at stock or 4.2GHZ and save some money for a decent board get a fan blowing across your VRMs and another in behind your motherboard if you have a cutout there that will suck out the heat. Canada Computer has sales all the time where you can get $30 - $40 off one of the better 990FX boards........ I go there too often.

Hi, thanks for the advice.. but i think at the end of the day the ASROCK mobo that i got was probably defective that was why i was getting temps as high as 62c.. right now i did switch the board.. cause the ASROCK was giving me internet disconnect issues.. and i really need the net for my work at a consistent bases... but anyways i ended up getting the GIGABYTE GA 970 D3P mobo.. and so far its been very stable at 4300mhz with getting temps as low as 21c.. and this is with chrome and firefox open.. so FOR SURE it ain't my cooling unit...

Also like to thank everyone who also helped me.. look below i posted some pics of my RIG the way i set it up.. with the new MOBO.. and this mobo is good cause it has really good VRM cooling.. much bigger then the ASROCK..

Last edited:
my NEW & Final "RIG"

Hi, thanks for the advice.. but i think at the end of the day the ASROCK mobo that i got was probably defective that was why i was getting temps as high as 62c.. right now i did switch the board.. cause the ASROCK was giving me internet disconnect issues.. and i really need the net for my work at a consistent bases... but anyways i ended up getting the GIGABYTE GA 970 D3P mobo.. and so far its been very stable at 4300mhz with getting temps as low as 21c.. and this is with chrome and firefox open.. so FOR SURE it ain't my cooling unit...

Also like to thank everyone who also helped me.. look below i posted some pics of my RIG the way i set it up.. with the new MOBO.. and this mobo is good cause it as really good VRM cooling.. much bigger then the ASROCK..

I knew it couldn't be my ANTEC 920 cause i bought it brand new.. and prior to my AMD 8350.. i had a quad intel and i was getting about 45c idle on that..

Attachments

• IMG_0947.JPG
    IMG_0947.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0934.JPG
    IMG_0934.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 227
COPIED from tek syndiate forum:

GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3P with FX-8350

Do these two work together? Will I run into any problems? I'm just looking for something cheaper than the SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0.

comments

posted 4 months 1 week ago

Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0, it's cheaper than the Sabertooth and it runs the FX-8350 without a hitch.

You can't run an FX-8350 reliably on a dirt cheap motherboard, even at stock speeds. My suggestion is what I personally have. It will run the FX-8350 flawlessly at stock speeds and even has the capacity to overclock your FX-8350 should you desire.

I'll go with that. Thank you very much.
END COPY.

RGone...:bang head:bump:

EDIT:
if i can do at least 43 to 4400ghz what i previously mentioned i will be happy.. << You keep making that statement and I fully understand it. But you need a motherboard. The fact that the M5A99FX PRO 2.0 "could" cover that 4.3 to 4.4Ghz is just a freeken plus. Otherwise you get right back in the same spot of something that struggles to get the 4.3 to 4.4Ghz you say you need to be happy. We don't make the boards here in the forum.. We can only suggest based on seeing the FX 8 core processors for over 2 years now and try to keep posters from falling in the ditch.

I even lessened my suggestion to the M5A99X PRO 2.0 because of your 4.3 to 4.4Ghz and happy, since I know that board is useless up where I run daily at 4.7Ghz but your happy spot was less than the 4.5Ghz it is pretty well capable of doing. The other 2 boards of three you said they had at Canada Computers...well they will do you NO good or no better than what you have already. Why swap a headache for another?
END EDIT.

Better temps now..

Attachments

• IMG_0942.JPG
    IMG_0942.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 230
  • new pc mobo set up.PNG
    new pc mobo set up.PNG
    294.6 KB · Views: 228
  • memory.PNG
    memory.PNG
    80.3 KB · Views: 227

Better VRM cooling on this MOBO..

Attachments

• IMG_0937.JPG
    IMG_0937.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0944.JPG
    IMG_0944.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 228
forgot to also mention.. the PC Acrylic case that u see in this pic is fully customized.. went to my local Acrylic manufacture and gave him ur typical pc case measurements.. (5.25 bay, etc)... and then i custom built the lights and added INTO the case panels..

Thats why if u look closely there are screws in almost every panel.. i built the whole case from scratch..

Attachments

• IMG_0947.JPG
    IMG_0947.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 226
Back