• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A Year Later: AMD speaks of the Future "ZEN5"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Yes that's Zen5, they have plans for 5 microarchitecture changes on the Zen platform not just refinements.

Yeah but don't get excited, this is all HDL code and simulations at the moment. Basically just "what ifs" and "can it do this?" and "optimize here" sort of stuff. Its not like they are doing ground up micro-architecture work here.

But point being, the Zen micro-architecture will last a long time it seems. That's a bit interesting but not surprising.

We just feed on that little changes, don't take it from us :p ... but really if not "little changes" then we would skip last 3-4 Intel generations. I'm not expecting much but it's good to see that AMD is finally doing something.

It gives some hope that we're a little farther from the monitor/cloud reality than I thought. :)

I like what they had to say. Yeah, I know, marketing, etc.. But James Prior seems genuinely excited and Mr. Clark seems pretty enthused as well. It's good for the consumer in the end. There wouldn't even be an i9 line from Intel without Threadripper's presence, so they're definitely stirring the pot.*

*They might have the same chips, but they'd still be i7 HEDT. Threadripper forced a response, IMO, and it's been a long time since anyone made Intel do anything.

Last edited:
If they can get get the Clock speeds up with this next release to avg oc hitting 4.3-4.5 . As well get memory running faster . They will have a nice Chip on their hands .

"A Year Later: AMD speaks of the Future "ZEN5" "

They need to do less speaking, simulating etc. and more doing. I built a bunch of Ryzen 5s and 7s because it had been 10 years since it made any sense to go AMD but have now moved on to Coffee Lake with faster clocks and faster IPC. Ryzen 2000 still isn't catching up, just getting a bit closer - but if all you do is keep going half way to the wall you'll never actually get there. Raven Ridge was disappointing only matching the low-end GT 1030/RX550 in GPU power. At least they inspired Intel to up the core count pretty much across the board anyway.

They need to do less speaking, simulating etc. and more doing. I built a bunch of Ryzen 5s and 7s because it had been 10 years since it made any sense to go AMD but have now moved on to Coffee Lake with faster clocks and faster IPC. Ryzen 2000 still isn't catching up, just getting a bit closer - but if all you do is keep going half way to the wall you'll never actually get there. Raven Ridge was disappointing only matching the low-end GT 1030/RX550 in GPU power. At least they inspired Intel to up the core count pretty much across the board anyway.

Eh, my computers are toys. My next build will be AMD because I won't notice a single shortcoming with what I do, Intel won't get my money, and AMD will have that extra couple bucks in their coffers. One of the luxuries of retirement, I can just because I want to. :)

New APU are actually great. It's really huge step in integrated graphics. I don't know if you were testing them but really you can play many new games on APU and you don't have to pay for something like GT1030 which costs like 50% of 2200G when only 2200G is a bit cheaper than the i3 8100.

Intel has faster IPC and higher clocks but who really needs that ? People set 5GHz for sport, not because it helps them in anything.
AMD made many mistakes but they are on the good way and maybe we will see them releasing something much better in next years. I'm not really on any side but Intel is just boring. They do barely anything and started to panic because of Ryzen which in the day of premiere was one generation behind. CoffeeLake is nothing really new. We could OC last gen the same, we had the same on our motherboards ... except maybe less RGB LEDs. There is barely any difference for typical gamer for last 3-4 years.

Intel has faster IPC and higher clocks but who really needs that ? People set 5GHz for sport, not because it helps them in anything.
AMD made many mistakes but they are on the good way and maybe we will see them releasing something much better in next years. I'm not really on any side but Intel is just boring. They do barely anything and started to panic because of Ryzen which in the day of premiere was one generation behind. CoffeeLake is nothing really new. We could OC last gen the same, we had the same on our motherboards ... except maybe less RGB LEDs. There is barely any difference for typical gamer for last 3-4 years.

Well put, IMO. I think some people forget what a tiny market gamers who bench are. A niche within a niche within a small niche. The enthusiasts' influence is way out of proportion. A good analogy is the Muscle Car days of the 60s. They were driven by knowledgeable enthusiasts who didn't really buy a lot of cars. The manufacturers touted their praises because they needed to sell lots of new cars to stay in business. Fast Forward to today and everybody "has" to have a 8700k and 1080 Ti to game. The reality is 1080p and 1440p are still the majority resolutions, and my rig is no more effective than a Devil's Canyon and 980 Ti for that. And I'm part of the tiny majority of parts buyers.

People who can buy an affordable Ryzen APU and casually play Minecraft a couple hours a week are the ones who keep Dell, HP, etc., in business, and those guys buy real quantities. Real quantities that are a fraction of the server guys $. I think enthusiast influence will shrink as the CPU equivalent of the Honda Civic come in to its own. My $.02.

Back