• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A8V deluxe...random restarts!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lauy

Hi,

I'm not sure if it is motherboard related but my PC keeps randomly restarting itself with a power down noise from the hard drives, and then when they are detected on boot up screen, it powers back up again.

It has been doing this mostly when applications are running but sometimes even when a menu is pressed, so it is kind of random.

I've tried:

reseating both memory sticks,
reseating video card,
reset bios,
Complete format of Windows partition and reinstallation of Windows.

Thanks in advance,

lauy

Have you tried disconnecting everything but your boot drive? Just an idea to narrow down the drive (if it is a drive) thats causining the problem. Maybe check power settings in bios as well. Beyond that I have not experienced this problem with my board.

thanks for the reply.

I thought it might have been one of my older drives at first, but I tried disconnecting that, and it still rebooted itself randomly, so I assume it isn't that. I can't think of anything else to do.

Power settings seem fine. I've just recently bought an Antec Neopower 480W, which should be enough I would have thought.

is the sata the boot drive? if so have you tried it on both the via and promise controller? Its worth a try.

Also I see you are at 2530Mhz...have you run benchs like prime95, memtest, superpi, etc... for extended runs to see if the set-up is stable. From what i've read also the VIA controller is a bad choice for raid or sata because it does not lock. The overclock will create havok with corrupted data etc... The promise controller is the better of the two if you are oc'ing like that.

My boot drive is not an SATA drive. Its a standard IDE one as my primary master. I have ran benchmarks on my o/c and is stable, but these restart problems i'm having on a stock setup also, so the o/c has nothing to do with it. The SATA drive is using the promise controller, the VIA one is completely disabled in bios.

Did you disable automatic restarts on blue screens?
bsodhelpsrcn3ip.jpg

hi Cullam3n

I hadn't done that at first but then realised that I didn't do it since i reformatted, but when I disabled it, it didn't have an error message or anything, it is literally a blank blue screen. My computer makes a weird loud "click" noise, sounds like maybe hard drives shutting down, and then when I restart, the hard drive starts spinning again.

That is pretty much all I've got. The problem started only few days ago, and I've been running on a stable set-up for at least 4-5 months now. The last thing I did to my hardware was changing the fan on my gfx card to an Arctic Cooling one, but my PC worked no problem after that for a good few weeks. It's only recently started doing this. I've also been getting problems in Steam (CS Source) which I never used to get but only have been since this problem. As well, I had a bit of trouble installing Windows at first since it was saying file missing for something, but then second time round, it was fine. Don't know if any of this helps diagnose the problem.

Lauy,

Have you run memtest on your RAM? This sounds like a problem I had before, and it took me forever to narrow it down to some bad RAM I had received. Run memtest on the pair at stock settings if you haven't already; if you get errors, run one stick at a time to see if it's one or the other. I know you've been stable for a while prior to your problems - but you didn't mention any memtest results, so I wasn't sure if you had looked into your memory as a possible culprit.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS MATE(s) :D

I'm back from the dead!

Lauy, could you list the CPU and RAM settings in the BIOS?
It could be a temprature related issue exacerbated by buggy Windows.

S-N

Back