• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

After some advice please! Wanting help with 1-2 machines.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for the quick response, I will take a look at these when I get home later today (work has ebay blocked).

Also I typed into google my CPU and I think it was on wiki (I think) saying 45w (this CPU is super dinosaur).

You're welcome.

In this case wikipedia would be incorrect.

This is your CPU:

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon 64 X2 5000+ - ADO5000IAA5DO (ADO5000DOBOX).html

It's rated at 65W TDP. But that isn't the actual wattage it is rated to draw, this is merely the amount of heat it is rated to produce at stock settings (in Watts).

Blast you are right just found the CPU box in the garage 65w.

Any ones that I can get new for the same kind of pricing I am not sure which ones are good and I'm worried I will get a crap one.

Found out the one I have at the moment is X-Power branded not sure if its any good or not

Last edited:
Still looking for some advice on a good fan to use to overclock that isn't going to cost me the world once I have this sorted my next update will be once everything is together and ready to begin OC process.

Regards.

What make and model is you case? What we suggest for cooling options is highly dependent on the width of your case. The better air coolers are tall and not every case provides the clearance to the side panel necessary to accommodate that height.

Bandit, it's time you put your system specs in a "Sig" so that they travel with every post you make. We don't want to be searching the whole thread just to find one piece of information about your system that we need in order to make post that will be of help to you. To create a Sig, click on Quick Links at the top of the page and then Edit Signature. For what kind of info we are looking for, you may consult my Sig or that of one of the other regulars for guidance. You have as star under your name now so you have access to the Sig feature.

Thanks for the advice I have now added a sig to my profile with all the info I have at hand. Hopefully there is a fan that isn't too high in price that can give me a good OC (I hope).

Cheers.

can't find that make and model when I do a search.

Do this instead: Measure the width of the case across the top on the outside. That gives us a rough idea of how much clearance there is inside from socket to side panel.If it is 19.5 cm or greater you are probably in good shape to install a good aftermarket tower cooler that has 120mm fans. If not, go with one that has 92mm fans.

The link you gave to your shop and case does not help. It does not give any dimensions. Do you have a measuring stick or tape you could just measure across the top?

Dimensions: 180 x 410 x 400 mm (WxHxD)

It's in the link, just isn't easy to read with the way they set that website up.

As a note, thermal power and electrical power are the same thing. 99.9999% (more really, but I'm tired of typing nines on my cell phone) of the electrical power drawn by the cpu is converted directly to heat inside the cpu.
Similarly, 100% of the heat put off by the cpu comes from the electricity coming in. Energy is energy.

So what kind of fan would you guys suggest for the best oc'ing of my machine?

really appreciate everyones help and assistance to a noob like myself.

Let us get brutally honest since time and money...

...since time and money are involved for sure.

Value selected budget case for system builders CPU Air Duct with 80mm fan for better cooling
performance 1 x Matching CDROM drive bezel included Cooling up to 3 fans (1 x 120mm front, 2 x 80mm rear), fans are NOT included.

Value Select is a keyword for low power and not to be overclocked in at least 99% of the time I have seen it written.

The three (3) most important fans for the case are said NOT included. Yeah right!

So that leaves one with a fan inside the power supply and one 80mm fan blowing air
thru a duct at the cpu area of mobo where nothing but a minimal cooling solution is
mounted to the top of the cpu blowing downward toward cpu.

An actual recipe for poor overclocking.

Now the 180mm width of the case as listed for the case at the link you gave us works
out to 7.08 inches and the inexpensive CM 212 EVO or PLUS cooler we normally
recommend would likely not fit. From years of suggestions for that cpu across the
forums on the net they suggest 7.5 inches as minimum width for a good assurance
of the CM 212 series fitting. Plus you would certainly have to remove that 80mm duct
affair if you purchased the CM 212 series and tried to fit it regardless of the 7.5 inch
width of case suggestion.

I wonder in truth if you are not just spinning your wheels to attempt any real overclock?
You need at least 3 more case fans and the removal of one and the ducting and then
a much much better cooler to mount to the cpu. You mention more than once
something about a fan for cooling but you are really needing to address a cpu cooler
assembly with fan...not a fan alone.

I cannot fully answer your situation in my mind. Only you can do that. But I wonder
if spending any monies to get that weaker cpu system 'fit' for attempting a decent
overclock. Oh yes, if you respond with what and where you have fans currently
mounted to the case itself, we could suggest something there. And certainly we know
of LAYDOWN coolers that are pretty good and probably quite capable of cooling that
cpu as far as it might overclock.

But is it worth it for a platform so far back in the past? You have to answer that sir.
RGone...ster.

Yeah, the case is definitely the first limiting factor for any kind of "good" cooling (or potential overclocks). There are several CPU heatsinks/coolers I would suggest, but with the narrow width of this case taken into account, I can't think of any that would actually fit inside this case.

Maybe a Thermalright Ultima 90, but they're nearly impossible to find these days.

The OP is going to have to put some serious thought into whether this overclocking attempt is worth the potential cost, for there are some difficult decisions to make.

In order to fit a good heatsink, the OP will need a better, wider case to put everything into.

Yeah thanks, Put the new PSU in and I thought how bloody aweful it looked I knew someone would bring it up lol.

Thanks for the help, just hoping now I can get some replies to suggestions on fan's that would fit this cosy machine of mine.

Any suggestions on something cheap to make the coordage tidy (something I can snap up off ebay).

Also hoping I can get some suggestions of fans/cooling I can get for my PC (off ebay if possible), just hope there is something that will fit my machine.

Regards,

Bandit.

Not sure what the difference is with the fans/cooling still need to find out or get suggestions from the community here as to what fan I should use in my case to go with my CPU then if the fans for pushing air out need replacing what suggestions/options I have there.

Back