• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

After some advice please! Wanting help with 1-2 machines.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Not sure what the difference is with the fans/cooling still need to find out or get suggestions from the community here as to what fan I should use in my case to go with my CPU then if the fans for pushing air out need replacing what suggestions/options I have there.

Cooler: N/A << when your siganture says that about the cpu cooler with fan which is a combination of cooler/heat sink and attached fan and known as a cpu cooler actually and not just a fan; well not knowing what is the cpu cooler there is no way to make any suggestion about a fan for attaching to the cpu cooler.
RGone...

For the CPU listed in your sig Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (AM2) I would recommend (if you can find one) a ThermalTake MaxOrb. It's what I use for my AM2 stuff and it does a phenominal job cooling. There may be better ones out there, but I can comfortably recommend the MaxOrb.

Here's a new one on Ebay.

Hey sorry guys all I know is that the fan ontop of the CPU is whatever was installed when I got the PC so I figure the standard one that came with my CPU?

Would this http://www.ebay.com/itm/COOLER-MAST...ponents_Fans_Heatsinks_SR&hash=item27e0eacd98

Not fit at all then?

and do I need to look at 120mm fans or stick with my 80mms I read some place that if I have a smaller case may be better to stick with the 2 80mm's I have or upgrade to 80mms with better CFM since the 120mms have bigger blades and move abit slower? (Right or wrong I don't know I'm going off what I have heard/read)

Regards.

Hey sorry guys all I know is that the fan ontop of the CPU is whatever was installed when I got the PC so I figure the standard one that came with my CPU? Yes that fan and heat sink look to be the stock cooler for that processor.

Would this http://www.ebay.com/itm/COOLER-MAST...ponents_Fans_Heatsinks_SR&hash=item27e0eacd98

Not fit at all then? Yes this will fit and it is a good cooler as well.

and do I need to look at 120mm fans or stick with my 80mms I read some place that if I have a smaller case may be better to stick with the 2 80mm's I have or upgrade to 80mms with better CFM since the 120mms have bigger blades and move abit slower? (Right or wrong I don't know I'm going off what I have heard/read) you will only NEED to replace the fans if you're not getting good air flow through the case. If you have good air flow already getting new fans will only make your wallet lighter. Lol

Regards.
best to you as well

Many of the good Older cpu coolers are NO longer made and sold...

...So I did a few searches for examples of coolers that could work good on that older system you have.

T_B, I think you maybe wasting time upgrading older platform. Think said that before. But if you must the hard part is 'suggesting' a cooler that might work with something you might upgrade to next. That is what is so hard to try and do.

Cooler Master Vortex Plus - CPU Cooler with Aluminum Fins and 4 Direct Contact Heatpipes << I have used this long years ago when using cpus similar to yours and it worked great. Don't know if you can find one where you live. They sell this at DragonPC but they want a lot more for it than here in the Usa.

NEW AMD FX 8350 BLACK ED. 8-CORE HEATSINK COOLER FAN OEM FOR SOCKET AM3+ << This is an OEM type cooler made to go on later FX-8350 8 core cpus and could handle that 5000+ cpu easily. IF you could find one local for not a lot of money.

From dragonpc:

Cooler Master (RR-VTPS-28PK-R1) Vortex Plus CPU Cooler LGA1366/1156/775 Low profile 4 Direct Contact copper heatpipes << I actually like this cooler which is called a C-type cooler, better than the one shown below from DragonPC.

ARCTIC COOLING (DCACO-FP701-CSA01) Freezer 7 PRO Rev.2 CPU cooler. for Intel Socket 1156/1366/775. AM3/AM2+/AM2. up to 130watts. Ultra Quiet 92 mm PWM fan << My experience with the Arctic Coolers is they do not "clamp-down" onto the cpu very well and have tended to twist about. Not good for good cooling in my book. It is better
than what you have now IF it clamps down onto top of cpu securely.

Always with air cooling is how much air comes into the case and leaves the case taking heat with it. That is key to getting good cpu cooling with a cpu air-cooler.
RGone...

Time-Bandit before you buy anything for this older computer...You are talking about upgrading your CPU cooler and possibly case fans, but I have yet to see you post pics of your actual temps under load. Please download HWMONITOR (free version) and post a pic of that window with your system under full load from Prime95 (free also) after 20 mins of blend mode. This way we can see if your system is getting to hot. If I'm not no mistaken your CPU is only a 65W chip and really shouldn't produce that much heat. I just don't want you wasting your money is all.

...So I did a few searches for examples of coolers that could work good on that older system you have.

T_B, I think you maybe wasting time upgrading older platform. Think said that before. But if you must the hard part is 'suggesting' a cooler that might work with something you might upgrade to next. That is what is so hard to try and do.

Cooler Master Vortex Plus - CPU Cooler with Aluminum Fins and 4 Direct Contact Heatpipes << I have used this long years ago when using cpus similar to yours and it worked great. Don't know if you can find one where you live. They sell this at DragonPC but they want a lot more for it than here in the Usa.

NEW AMD FX 8350 BLACK ED. 8-CORE HEATSINK COOLER FAN OEM FOR SOCKET AM3+ << This is an OEM type cooler made to go on later FX-8350 8 core cpus and could handle that 5000+ cpu easily. IF you could find one local for not a lot of money.

From dragonpc:

Cooler Master (RR-VTPS-28PK-R1) Vortex Plus CPU Cooler LGA1366/1156/775 Low profile 4 Direct Contact copper heatpipes << I actually like this cooler which is called a C-type cooler, better than the one shown below from DragonPC.

ARCTIC COOLING (DCACO-FP701-CSA01) Freezer 7 PRO Rev.2 CPU cooler. for Intel Socket 1156/1366/775. AM3/AM2+/AM2. up to 130watts. Ultra Quiet 92 mm PWM fan << My experience with the Arctic Coolers is they do not "clamp-down" onto the cpu very well and have tended to twist about. Not good for good cooling in my book. It is better
than what you have now IF it clamps down onto top of cpu securely.

Always with air cooling is how much air comes into the case and leaves the case taking heat with it. That is key to getting good cpu cooling with a cpu air-cooler.
RGone...

Hi RGone,

Sorry for this however the CPU I will be using is Phenom IIx4 955 BE (Have not updated my sig as I am still waiting for it to arrive in the post) not sure how far away it is either and I am concerned the 5000+ CPU fan in the case already won't be good enough to keep it cool hence why I am trying to establish the best CPU fan to put in the machine to cool the 955 BE.

Thanks again.

Time-Bandit before you buy anything for this older computer...You are talking about upgrading your CPU cooler and possibly case fans, but I have yet to see you post pics of your actual temps under load. Please download HWMONITOR (free version) and post a pic of that window with your system under full load from Prime95 (free also) after 20 mins of blend mode. This way we can see if your system is getting to hot. If I'm not no mistaken your CPU is only a 65W chip and really shouldn't produce that much heat. I just don't want you wasting your money is all.

Hey Blaylock thanks for your reply. I am waiting on a 955 BE in the post thats why I am trying to work out what CPU fan will fit my machine so I can then upload cooling temps.

Sorry for this being mucky my apologies.

Dude, how do you expect us to recommend anything when we don't even know what you're using.
:facepalm:

Dude, how do you expect us to recommend anything when we don't even know what you're using.
:facepalm:

Sorry!!!

Mentioned it at the start I would waiting on one in the post did not update my sig for the very reason I have not got it and this one is CPU only no fan hence why I am asking about what CPU fan to get should have been clear which is my fault. Updated Sig to avoid further confusion.

Just hope Rgone's suggestions still apply to this CPU aswell.

I keep hearing good things about Cool Master branded hardware so am considering getting something that will fit my machine from them but im looking at best bang for my buck.

OK What motherboard will you be upgrading to? Unless I'm mistaken the 955BE is socket AM3 and your motherboard only supports up to AM2+.

Family AMD Phenom II X4
Model number 955
CPU part numbers
HDZ955FBK4DGI is an OEM/tray microprocessor
HDZ955FBGIBOX is a boxed microprocessor
Sockets
Socket AM2+
Socket AM3

Memory controller
The number of controllers: 1
Memory channels: 2
Channel width (bits): 72
Supported memory: <<DDR2-1066>>, << DDR3-1333 >>
DIMMs per channel: up to 2
Maximum memory bandwidth (GB/s): 21.3

Last edited:
You have to do some measuring at your end...

...measuring to see if that Air Cooler for the cpu you linked above is NOT so tall it does not fit because it hits the side cover of the case. How wide is your case vs how tall is that Cpu Air Cooler.

The AiO water cooler you linked should also work but it uses a wide radiator and fan,. How wide is the exhaust air/fan opening on the rear of your case? That is up to you. If the rear exhaust opening is only 80mm wide and you try to put a fan/radiator assembly that is 120mm wide, then it will not do the job well at all. You need to do real measuring for fitment and then buy according to what is found after measuring.
RGone...

...measuring to see if that Air Cooler for the cpu you linked above is NOT so tall it does not fit because it hits the side cover of the case. How wide is your case vs how tall is that Cpu Air Cooler.

The AiO water cooler you linked should also work but it uses a wide radiator and fan,. How wide is the exhaust air/fan opening on the rear of your case? That is up to you. If the rear exhaust opening is only 80mm wide and you try to put a fan/radiator assembly that is 120mm wide, then it will not do the job well at all. You need to do real measuring for fitment and then buy according to what is found after measuring.
RGone...

Air cooler won't fit as you said and the water cooler is too big.

Measured from the top of the CPU to the end of the case I have 15cm to work with.

Last edited:
I've read that this one works fairly well for a 92mm fan , tower cooler. It's 140mm so should fit in that space but you may want to double check your measurements. Cooler Master Hyper N520 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3057&cm_re=hyper_n_520-_-35-103-057-_-Product

Just wanted to query all the decent model fans that will fit my system case have CFM's around the 50-60 mark or there about.

I understand the Arctic Cooler has CFM in the 80's however it seems like a shoddy fan to use.

I was considering one of the Cooler Master ones Dragon's is selling with a CFM around 58 would this be just as good as Johan's suggestion ??

How important is CFM ??

Any suggestions on GPU its the last thing I have to get now ended up with the Arctic Cooler Dragons claimed they have never had one returned or any problems. I managed to install it (pain in the *** with the little screws) but everything is in quite nicely.

Considering getting my GPU from this website (PLEASE NOTE MY MACHINE WON'T TAKE THE BIGGER AND MORE LENGTHY GPUS)

http://www.flipkart.com/computers/components?otracker=hp_nmenu_sub_electronics_0_PC Components

I am considering getting this (Will it fit my machine???? considering as already OC I see 4 cards with similar looking power not sure which one is the best and which will fit my mobo please not the monitor im using is VGA I believe so I would need a VGA converter of somesort to work with one of these cards yeah??)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ct_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1410417936&sr=1-17

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ct_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1410431647&sr=1-11

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ct_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1410431421&sr=1-12

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superclo...UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=1-1&keywords=gtx+750+ti

Regards.

Last edited:
Congrats on your cooler purchase. I'm sure it will work much better than your stock cooler.

For your GPU there are a few questions that will need to be answered.

1. How long of a card will your case allow?

2. What resolution will you be using?

3. How many monitors will be displayed through this card?

4. Do you care if games are dropped down to medium settings to do you NEED max settings.

FWIW I wouldn't get a new card with less than 3GB of vram as newer games are utilizing more and more. (Future proofing).

Back